Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

There are a couple of downloadable organs that have the sliders acting as drawbars. They have names like "5draworgan" or something like that. You can find them in the downloads area at http://www.casiomusicforums.com

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys for the tips. That drawbar Stage setting sounds neat, I will be giving it a try. BTW Drawbar 4 &5 in the stage settings (4-6 and 7-6) work with the sliders and rotary wheel pedal as well. The basic organ tones in this board seem improved from the WK-7500 and will do well for songs that don't require fast runs (due to the weighted keys). The Wk is not capable of updates but Casio should include these organ tone improvements in an update for the xw-p1.

My volume knob issue I found was caused by it taking a hit from something with its former owner. It's just stuck at one volume which I think is possibly somewhere in the middle range. I've done intensive self training on this keyboard to see if everything else is working fine and am finding it is a phenomenal board! This is a keeper. It's only electronic problem really is the volume knob. It also needs an end cap and battery cover. I can control the volume for now with an in-line volume pedal, my powered mixer or the Volume parameter under the Master button. As I paid under 600$, it is probably worth paying Casio to replace the knob if the above doesn't work for me. Is there any way I could determine what level volume the knob is stuck at? With no built in speakers there are too many variables in speakers, amps and headphones in comparing the volume to another PX-5S. How would I go about taking an output reading with a multi meter? Just take one on the left/mono channel output? The specs list 1.8 v max output.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I tried measuring the mono out with my DVM using the HexTopOctave sound and it was too unstable to measure the voltage. You really need a simple sine wave sound for a stable reading and I can't find one in the Hex Layer section.

Does the vol ctrl attenuate at all, or is there no effect on volume period? My first thought is that the potentiometer is broken if it's stuck on and doesn't raise or lower the output.

To replace it is possibly beyond your repair skill level and since you need the other pieces anyway, looks like a repair shop would need to do the replacement.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Yeah,

The volume control is broken but it would void the warranty that is on it if I (or an unauthorized repair facility?) opened it up. When I needed Casio repair service before, they were superb. I could not get a steady reading using an organ tone either so I'll try that Sine Wave.

Thanks Mike.

Actually just select the Hex layer category on the left. Scroll up through the programs until you find an empty untitled one. That will give you a straight sine. I'd edit the program, select layer edit then select the amp page. Turn velocity sensitivity off then do your measurement.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I may be mentioning something that is already known or not relevant, but I'll throw this out in case it helps. I think the volume knob on the PX-5S is digital. I'm no electronics expert, but it feels and acts like a digital knob and not a traditional analogue one. I don't know if that changes your diagnosis and repair methods but I figured I would mention it in case it does.

Yup. Impulse buy.

Well, if it's also missing a battery cover, then it was likely mine for a little while.

Allow me to explain.

I was hunting for a good deal on a PX5S and saw a used one at the GC in LA (I live in NJ). It was a good deal because it was missing a slider cover and the battery cover. So I purchased it online.

When this used PX5S shipped, I checked the tracking, and I saw it was going to the wrong address (my previous apartment). So I alerted GC and they issued an intercept to UPS. However, apparently UPS will not simply re-route the package. This means that the unit shipped from LA to Newark NJ (a few miles from my house) and they would not permit me to pick up in person. Then it had to ship back to the LA GC store, and then ship back to NJ again...meaning it clocked about 9000 miles (and two weeks) before I opened the box.

When I did open the box, I discovered that the person who packed it, neglected to put bubble wrap on one side. So the right cheek was totally smashed. Moreover, the volume knob didn't work....this I was NOT forewarned about.

When I informed the manager at the LA GC that the volume knob wasn't working and the cheek was smashed due to poor packing, he agreed that wasn't acceptable, and worked with me to get a killer deal on a new PX5S.

So I returned the damaged PX5S to my local GC and picked up the new one.

Anyways, I love the PX5S, especially the keybed....it's absolutely wonderful. If you indeed bought the same one I had, I'm glad you got a good deal.

Wow,

I was wondering what the heck happened to it! Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell so far it's only issue is the volume control..IMO if that stays the case the board is still a great deal at 559$. it has adequate volume but it is not adjustable with the knob. Casio's warranty understandably does not cover damage like that. I already repaired the end cap that got damaged, just epoxied and touched up the cracks.That piece is just hollow as underneath it the boards frame was unscathed. Still it still working shows how tough those Casio boards are. I accidentally dropped a WK-3800 down a flight of stairs once and it worked perfectly for two years until I sold it!

I'm considering buying GC's Pro Warranty which does cover that type of damage but not pre existing conditions ( ironically that they caused!) Maybe I should sign it up for Obamacare! :)

If it is in fact the Tremolo DSP effect, just pres the DSP button. If the Tremolo is created by an LFO you'd have to edit the tone and go to the LFO page.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

If you switch the DSP effect to Tremolo, you'll just need to change some of the default parameters. Within that effect you'll find an LFO rate and Depth parameters which you can adjust to taste. Leave the Wet/Dry levels as is.

-Mike Martin

Casio

If you switch the DSP effect to Tremolo, you'll just need to change some of the default parameters. Within that effect you'll find an LFO rate and Depth parameters which you can adjust to taste. Leave the Wet/Dry levels as is.

Got it-it worked! Thanks Finally was able to get to trying it.

Mike, Does one of your user clinic tutorials cover loading tones that were downloaded from the Casioforum site? I thought I saw that first time I looked at the video but can't find where on the video that was.

I can't find instructions anywhere on how to do this. The user manual shows how to get the USB stick to work on the board, I have the files in a Musicdat file, I can find the files after holding the media key down on the keyboard, hitting Load/Enter/Stage Settings/Enter and the +- button. Then I hit the > and then +- again, get numbers like 0-3, 2-4,etc (which I presume are stage settings)press enter/yes get "complete!" then I can't find them anywhere in the board. EDiT : All set. Did not realize that you had to hit the bank button first before punching in the stage set numbers. I guess I just wrote a tutorial for this!

Hi, I have a question about midi data are transmitted when selecting a new stage setup:

In my ¨Roland RD-300GX ¨ all the parameters that the controller can have the option to send ¨_ _ _¨ (no value is transmitted)

or a range of values for a given parameter (eg, program change ¨- - -¨ or 001 to 128).

For me is very important not to send a program change or volume when select a new ¨setup stage¨.

In other words, I want to send program changes manually but not automatically when selecting a stage setup.

I can do this in the px-5s???

Thank you very much!

Volume will be sent I believe. However if you don't put in a program change for external gear it won't send one.

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Mike, I stopped in Brents yesterday to say hello to Jim n hang a bit. Was surprised to find the px5 you brought. Ive been using a px3 w/a musebox and its a great combo for jazz things where there is no AP. I got to sit w/the 5 for more than a few minutes and found it a really nice little axe. Piano sound is def better than the 3, and I easily got used to the action after a few minutes of playing. The white? Looks like there should be a Maytag sign on that....just kidden lol. I want one. Def a very usable board.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Mike and Scott (Jim A and Piano Man Chuck's you tube vids also) I pulled the trigger on the PX5S. It's only been four days but I love it so far. While I have only played with the Concert Grands and the EP's it's inspiring me to practice longer as its such a joy to play.

I also joined the FB page and Casio forums. See you all soon.

Derek

Yup. Impulse buy.

Well, if it's also missing a battery cover, then it was likely mine for a little while.

Allow me to explain.

I was hunting for a good deal on a PX5S and saw a used one at the GC in LA (I live in NJ). It was a good deal because it was missing a slider cover and the battery cover. So I purchased it online.

When this used PX5S shipped, I checked the tracking, and I saw it was going to the wrong address (my previous apartment). So I alerted GC and they issued an intercept to UPS. However, apparently UPS will not simply re-route the package. This means that the unit shipped from LA to Newark NJ (a few miles from my house) and they would not permit me to pick up in person. Then it had to ship back to the LA GC store, and then ship back to NJ again...meaning it clocked about 9000 miles (and two weeks) before I opened the box.

When I did open the box, I discovered that the person who packed it, neglected to put bubble wrap on one side. So the right cheek was totally smashed. Moreover, the volume knob didn't work....this I was NOT forewarned about.

When I informed the manager at the LA GC that the volume knob wasn't working and the cheek was smashed due to poor packing, he agreed that wasn't acceptable, and worked with me to get a killer deal on a new PX5S.

So I returned the damaged PX5S to my local GC and picked up the new one.

Anyways, I love the PX5S, especially the keybed....it's absolutely wonderful. If you indeed bought the same one I had, I'm glad you got a good deal.

Yup. Impulse buy.

Just got the PX-5s back from Casio. For 65 bucks they repaired the volume control and replaced the missing slider knob and battery cover. I repaired the end cap myself. Including shipping to and from, it cost about 100 for the repair. It took about 2 weeks. Not bad at all!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello guys,

What is the best way to change patches from third parties VST using Mainstage ?

I'm under the impression that I can't use the button of the Casio, that they all are the same.

I'm new to this !

Thank for your answer

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Hello guys,

What is the best way to change patches from third parties VST using Mainstage ?

I'm under the impression that I can't use the button of the Casio, that they all are the same.

I'm new to this !

Thank for your answer

Dextroze,

Do you want to change Mainstage patches from your PX5S? or have Mainstage change the stage settings on the PX?

Either way are can be done.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived