Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto appreciation thread

Justin Havu

Totally under-appreciated band. So many dismiss them due to "Rosanna", even "Africa" (due to overplay), and a few of their other big ballad hits. But their material covers almost every genre if you know their deep catalogue, and the playing and overall musicianship are always top-notch.

One of my faves is "Fahrenheit" (probably still out of print), which features Miles Davis on several cuts!

I also love Steve Lukather's solo material, which is very diverse but cohesive at the same time and has very passionate playing and singing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my faves is "Fahrenheit" (probably still out of print), which features Miles Davis on several cuts!

It can easily be found via Amazon or eBay. It's not as scarce as Kingdom of Desire, or Tambu. Favorite track off Fahrenheit--the Steve Porcaro penned "Lea." IMHO that should've been released as a single.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Favorite track off Fahrenheit--the Steve Porcaro penned "Lea." IMHO that should've been released as a single.

It still gets lots of airplay today (i.e. it was/is a slow-grow hit). So whether it was released as a single or not probably isn't too relevant.

Yeah, that happens now and then. Even The Beatles had a couple of songs that "had" to be released as singles after-the-fact due to their growing popularity.

I guess I'm lucky to own the albums done after Jeff Porcaro's tragic accidental death. They were moving a bit towards metal or some jambalaya of metal, funk, and other influences at that point. There's some great songs and super-tight playing.

Also not to be missed is one of their live sets from the past decade, but I can't access it right now as it's in a room where a little one is sleeping. I'll try to remember tomorrow, as it is by far the best Toto Live material I have heard. But a clue for the impatient is that it closely follows (I think even in title) one of their recent (last fifteen years, which is my point of reference for the term anymore :-)) album titles. The cover looks almost like a Journey album. :-)

Ah, here it is, bookmarked/indexed into the Wiki entry on Toto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_(band)#Bobby_Kimball.27s_return_.281997.E2.80.932001.29

If that link doesn't work, the title is "Livefields" from 1999, and features most of the music from the "Mindfields" album.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 year later...
BUMP - They are in the process of recording a new album for 2014. With both original keyboardists (Paich and Porcaro), I simply cannot wait to pre-order it!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

BUMP - They are in the process of recording a new album for 2014. With both original keyboardists (Paich and Porcaro), I simply cannot wait to pre-order it!

Interesting. I got the impression that Luke didn't want to do it anymore.

A quick look at Wikipedia revealed that Keith Carlock is now the drummer, replacing Simon Phillips.

Any word on Bobby Kimball? I think Luke has had some issues with him. He also has difficulty singing on key live.

Interesting. I got the impression that Luke didn't want to do it anymore.

A quick look at Wikipedia revealed that Keith Carlock is now the drummer, replacing Simon Phillips.

Any word on Bobby Kimball? I think Luke has had some issues with him. He also has difficulty singing on key live.

Joe Williams is billed as their lead singer on their website and on Wiki.

+1 for this thread.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

They are an incredibly tight band, and a virtual all-star team of musicians. I'm not a huge fan of their songs, but I respect them tremendously, and they are all first-rate players.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I agree with all of you.

One of my favorite bands.

I am happy to saw them live back in 2006 in Athens with Mike Porcaro on bass...

All of them are great players and i like the variation of musical styles in their songs(from jazz to hard rock).

"Falling in Between" is one of my favorite album of the last decade and i am waiting for the new one.

As a keyboard player, for me, Paich and Porcaro are a "seminar" of playing, orchestration, composition and programming,

Lukather, Jeff and Mike one of my favorite guitar, drums and bass players.

And don't forget David Hungate for his tremendous bass work in the first 4 albums.

An all star band !!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

That will be interesting. Wondering if he's going to drum for the whole album. Time will tell...

Hardware

Software

Years ago, a terrific singer and I were trying to put together a band. We stumbled on a somewhat established guitar/bass/drums trio who had decided they needed... keyboards and a lead singer.

They weren't fooling around, though, and gave us a list of tunes for the "audition." One was Toto's "Waiting for Your Love." Man, it was fun learning that one! We both nailed our parts, got the gig, and that was one of my favorite tunes we played.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Years ago, a terrific singer and I were trying to put together a band. We stumbled on a somewhat established guitar/bass/drums trio who had decided they needed... keyboards and a lead singer.

They weren't fooling around, though, and gave us a list of tunes for the "audition." One was Toto's "Waiting for Your Love." Man, it was fun learning that one! We both nailed our parts, got the gig, and that was one of my favorite tunes we played.

Awesome groove, and one of my fave solos.

Hardware

Software

• 4 months later...
Finally got the new 35th Anniversary Live in Poland DVD. What a great track listing, not to mention great musicianship! Can't wait for the new album to be finished!

Hardware

Software

Toto, Daryl Hall, and Rush, though completely unrelated to each other, fall into the same camp for me. Countless musicians that I have the utmost respect for, absolutely rave about and love these bands/guy.

But I just don't get it. At all.

Someone steer me in the right direction, maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff.

Get off my lawn!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Seeing them next month at the Greek with Michael McDonald. Psyched....

dB

Still have to buy my tix.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Just had to get the mp3 player out from the car. Now happily sitting in my office, working away on monthend accounting while listening to Toto - Past to Present. What a band, on so many levels. Playing chops, songwriting , production , variety of styles. Always a pleasure to listen to. Cheers

Fusker, I am with you on Rush, and we might be two among the very few to be found anywhere, probably 99% percent of my fellow-musicians friends over the years have been heavily into them but their music has just never done *anything* for me. No real emotional or organic or sensual component to it (speaking strictly for myself), certainly no sense of humor, to me it's stiff, cold, pretentious and unintentionally silly and (on this point anyway I don't think I'm alone) Geddy's chipmunk vocal quality just grates as he relates his 9th-grade level poetry. Sorry and I don't claim to be "right" about this, I'm probably very wrong in fact, but that's just my response. (I don't mind learning and playing lots of the songs when I've had a chance to perform 'em, that's common in general for me, I can really enjoy playing lots of music that I don't listen to for pleasure.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• 6 months later...

Toto XIV is almost here! Couple more months!...

The songs sound amazing, even if it's just an EPK...

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Software

Yep was excited to read this announcement today and can't wait to hear the music.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived