Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto appreciation thread

Justin Havu

Brother CJ Vanston played me a few of the tracks (Burn, Great Expectations) at his studio last week - very cool getting to hear them in the room where they were mixed!

dB

Cool - I got the same treat back in January - to know you're sitting in the "sweet spot"... priceless. Tomorrow is interview session #2 with Paich and Porcaro for an upcoming interview in Keyboard. These guys are living legends, for sure. SUre wish the tour was coming out my way...

Little known fact: they rehearsed the band at a hotel in Kauai before taking it out live for the first time. A friends of mine was playing over there and just bumped into them one night playing in the lounge... total unknowns at the time. Talk about getting your mind blown!

Jerry

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brother CJ Vanston played me a few of the tracks (Burn, Great Expectations) at his studio last week - very cool getting to hear them in the room where they were mixed!

CJ took part of the songwriting process in addition to mixing the record. :2thu:

dB

He did a great interview on Inside Musicast last week.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 4 months later...

Bumping this.

Saw them for the first time last night with Yes.

Paich and Lukather are beastly. I could have listened to either of them solo for the whole four hours. Those guys do like their Motifs, though. Steve had an XF7 over an XF8 and David had either an XF6 or XF7 over not sure what inside that fake upright cabinet/rig.

Yes on the other hand was OK but nothing to write home about. Lead vocals were sorta wimpy and lacked the power of Anderson/Squire. Howe shined as usual and seemed to be directing the overall performance. Downes managed to cover the parts OK but sounded a bit stiff. White surprised me after reading some panning reviews. I thought he sounded great.

I took some pix and will crop/post a couple when I get a chance.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Yeah Pier 6 cap is listed as 4,400. Was SRO for Toto, about two thirds that for Yes.

Gear:

Bumping this.

Paich and Lukather are beastly. I could have listened to either of them solo for the whole four hours. Those guys do like their Motifs, though. Steve had an XF7 over an XF8 and David had either an XF6 or XF7 over not sure what inside that fake upright cabinet/rig.

~ vonnor

In spite of all of that synth horsepower on stage, all of their sounds are coming from Mainstage.

Incidentally, I bought the new album (XIV) and really like it.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Bumping this.

~ vonnor

In spite of all of that synth horsepower on stage, all of their sounds are coming from Mainstage.

Incidentally, I bought the new album (XIV) and really like it.

:thu:

For those who didn't see the TOTO interview thread (and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), Bill W. is spot on. They use their Motifs as controllers for Mainstage, and as backups for an emergency..i.e. computer failure.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

@JohnH: About a thousand people hit the exits after Toto finished their set.

Gear:

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread.

New compilation album drops Feb. 9th, next year. Remastered hits plus 3 new tracks. I'll take the vinyl, please!

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I like the linked track a lot. Passionate, great playing, nice chords, and it evokes the band's history while still blazing a trail forward as they have always done.

Sounds like some influences from The Police and Yes in there, of all things. But not at the level of sounding derived or ripped off.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They've done some tours together. Would love to catch one of them.

Still my all-time favorite song.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbsKvXjGghc

Ha! Just watched to the end of the song and Larry looks pissed at himself for his last run, which kind of ends in a clam.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Nice mid-80s pop. Always packed the dance floor. The only song of theirs I ever played with a band, except for a thankfully brief stab at Hold The Line that our singer at the time was sure he could pull off. diXVVEk.gif

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived