Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto appreciation thread

Justin Havu

One of my all time favorite bands, and IMHO, some of the best keyboard work of the late 70's and 80's, especially on Toto (Child's Anthem, Girl Goodbye) and The Seventh One (Pamela, Mushanga, Only The Children). David P. and Steve P. are both really big influences with my playing and programming.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me as a fan of the great playing and programming on those 80's Toto discs. I love the whole ensemble and find their ability orchestrate such memorable parts and lay down a fantastic groove to be very impressive. I have always love the piano solo in "Rosana" and the synth work in "Africa". I also am a fan of the live work I have heard Greg Phillinganes do with the band as well.

Justin,

Always nice to see a fellow member from the great state of Maine. I live in Bucksport, ME. Sometimes I feel so removed from the larger keyboard playing/live gigging community. tt is nice to hear from someone who lives in my "backyard".

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Got to meet Steve P. in the mid-80's at one of the old Yamaha Electone Organ Festivals (I think he was a judge). I talked to him for at least 10 minutes. He was a very nice, considerate person - very down to earth. Musically, I think he and the whole TOTO gang were years ahead of their time. They've always been a fave of mine!.

Cloner

Yamaha DX7S, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Yamaha HX-3, Clavinova CLP-300, PSR-740

Bern, would love to get my hands on that Rosanna transcript!

I'm a fan as well...some stuff works better than others, but great players. Minefields is a great album if you haven't heard it.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Love them as well, and count me as another who would love to see that Rosanna transcription.

I may be the minority there, but in addition to the classic stuff mentioned above, I really dig the Fergie Fredrickson Isolation and Joe Williams Fahrenheit releases as well.

If you're referring to the piano solo, I don't have it transcribed. However, it's not that difficult a solo (at least to pick out the notes). If, on the other hand, you're referring to the synth orchestration solo, that's another animal. It was sequenced in Voyetra's Sequencer Plus way back, now in storage somewhere :)

This thread is going down? You have unleashed a beast in me if you want to talk Toto. I'll out Toto talk anyone as this band is one of my great musical pillars.

What makes a studio cat truly a studio cat is something I learned from listening to this band and studying it and the entire scene of L.A. cut records in the 70s and 80s. Jeff epitomizes all the things I love about a great drummer. Their compositions, their sound, their effortless perfection; These are all things that blow me away and continue to inspire me as a player and a producer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Another option would be to check out Jammit. They have the Rosanna keyboard, guitar, bass, drums and vocals available as original multi-track play-a-long downloads for the app.

Check the demo out below

[video:youtube]

I was totally hooked when I first heard "99" on the radio. I still LOVE that song.

This thread is going down? You have unleashed a beast in me if you want to talk Toto. I'll out Toto talk anyone as this band is one of my great musical pillars.

And who hooked you up with the rare Jeff Porcaro tribute album? :wave:

An all-time favourite:

Michael Jackson - Human Nature

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmbYALa0no

Arranged By David Paich, Steve Lukather, Steve Porcaro

Drums Jeff Porcaro

Guitar Steve Lukather

Other [Emulator] Michael Boddicker

Percussion Paulinho Da Costa

Synthesizer David Paich

Synthesizer, Programmed By [synthesizer] Steve Porcaro

Written-By John Bettis, Steve Porcaro

[align:right]##

##[/align]

And who hooked you up with the rare Jeff Porcaro tribute album? :wave:

I have a bootleg of that, plus a few other shows from the 80's (Seventh Heaven, Till the Endless '86, Live at Budokan '82.)

Mindfields has some great keyboard work as well, (LOVE the track "Better World.)

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I remember 10 years ago, back in high school, I recreated the title track from Fahrenheit, using a couple of keyboards--Yamaha PSR-48, PSR-300M, and a Roland KR-570 piano, all MIDI'd to my laptop (running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9). The piano had a 16-track sequencer, but I did all of the sequencing in Cakewalk, using the sequencer in the piano as a "multi" mode. This allowed me to not only use the sounds in the KR-570, but also layer some stuff with the two Yamaha's. Man, I miss those days!!

Hardware

Software

I've actually met Steve Lukather a few times. Actually played Toto's Africa for him on a XW-P1...a demo that we came up with at the NAMM show. He's a great guy. I was invited to a Toto rehearsal, but missed it because of other travel. :facepalm:

Steve Lukather has a solo album coming out soon and I had the pleasure of listening to the whole thing a few weeks ago right before it went to get mastered. CJ Vanston produced this new album does all the keyboard work incredible.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Another option would be to check out Jammit. They have the Rosanna keyboard, guitar, bass, drums and vocals available as original multi-track play-a-long downloads for the app.

Check the demo out below

Wonderful technology, now that it's available today. However, there's a genuine appreciation for this music by trying to lift it without the help of this technology i.e. access to the actual studio tracks (not to mention what it does to improve your ear-training!). Of course, you can always verify your attempt to the actual tracks and see how close you've come; that would be gratifying!

Check the demo out below

Wonderful technology, now that it's available today. However, there's a genuine appreciation for this music by trying to lift it without the help of this technology i.e. access to the actual studio tracks (not to mention what it does to improve your ear-training!). Of course, you can always verify your attempt to the actual tracks and see how close you've come; that would be gratifying!

Definitely agreed! However, depending on the tune, the actual part may be so buried in the mix that what is truly being played may not be derived from listening. Luke addresses this in the Jammit promo below

Definitely agreed! However, depending on the tune, the actual part may be so buried in the mix that what is truly being played may not be derived from listening. Luke addresses this in the Jammit promo below

This is a great app and a welcome tool. However, and I mean no disrespect towards the maker of this app (or Mr.Lukather), what's said in the video is just a sales pitch. Maybe some people can't hear the guitar part in question (I could, and I'm sure "Luke" can too).

Apologies for having derailed this thread.

This is a great app and a welcome tool. However, and I mean no disrespect towards the maker of this app (or Mr.Lukather), what's said in the video is just a sales pitch. Maybe some people can't hear the guitar part in question (I could, and I'm sure "Luke" can too).

Apologies for having derailed this thread.

Perhaps not the best example in the vid, but as I said," depending on the tune, the actual part may be so buried in the mix that what is truly being played may not be derived from listening."

That's not saying that a satisfactory guitar/keyboard/etc. part couldn't be constructed by listening. I'm just saying that Jammit could help those who just can't sleep at night without knowing what's actually under the hood : )

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

A huge Toto fan. Also have met Luke many times. Just saw them in September, having Steve and David back is really awesome. Have been to two Toto concerts last one before this was 6 years ago with Greg. The recent show is one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Met Steve at a Dave Garfield show ten years ago and he was very nice , big smile when I told him I play too. Funny story, at that venue in 2002 which was platinum live, Garfield did a show and David Paich showed up. Garfield dedicated Lowdown to David Paich, who beamed proudly on the floor just off stage left. 6 months later at the same venue is when I met Steve. So Garfield dedicates Human Nature to Steve, who was beaming proudly and standing in the exact same spot Paich was 6 months before. I couldn't believe it!!!

One thing about Toto - I never realized how involved a couple of those guys are with music scene outside of their band. Their list of accomplishments even with other artist's doing songs they wrote is pretty impressive.

IIRC they were all originally well established session players. They were assembled into a "supergroup", and they were one band who truly lived up to that title! That's never been more true now the Greg Phillinganes is on the keys. A legendary session player joining a now legendary band - What an ideal fit! :cool:

I've played numerous Toto tunes in cover bands over the last 20 years or so, including the ones mentioned above. Nobody's mentioned this one yet, so I will...I've always believed "I Won't Hold You Back" is one of the most gorgeous rock ballads ever, and it's a blast to play live. The vocal harmonies, the guitar solo over orchestra...Great stuff, and audiences love it!

><>

Steve

I did "I Won't Hold You Back" during my high school talent show 10 years ago, as part of a medley which included Dave's keyboard solo from "Livefields" and the ending to "Better World". Year before that, I performed "Hydra" in its entirety, (the song, not the album. ;) )

Hardware

Software

I did "I Won't Hold You Back" during my high school talent show 10 years ago, as part of a medley which included Dave's keyboard solo from "Livefields" and the ending to "Better World". Year before that, I performed "Hydra" in its entirety, (the song, not the album. ;) )

Sounds amazing!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

One thing about Toto - I never realized how involved a couple of those guys are with music scene outside of their band. Their list of accomplishments even with other artist's doing songs they wrote is pretty impressive.

IIRC they were all originally well established session players. They were assembled into a "supergroup", and they were one band who truly lived up to that title! That's never been more true now the Greg Phillinganes is on the keys. A legendary session player joining a now legendary band - What an ideal fit! :cool:

Was.Greg was awesome in Toto but has not been in the band since 2008. When Toto reformed in 2010 Steve and Dave returned . The band states there will be no new albums , one of the reasons is a contract lawsuit with the label Frontiers . Never say never, I never thought I'd see Dave and Steve back and the band live again do who knows what will happen if they can get released from Frontiers.

... the entire scene of L.A. cut records in the 70s and 80s. Jeff epitomizes all the things I love about a great drummer. Their compositions, their sound, their effortless perfection;

I wholeheartedly agree! Jeff Porcaro was one the most gorgeous "in-the-pocket" players. His drum tracks are beautiful on everything he ever did, from Toto to Donald Fagen (The Nightfly) to Boz Scaggs etc etc.

Watch Porcaro's drum master class on YouTube - you can totally learn a lot even if you are a keyboard player / pianist.

One thing about Toto - I never realized how involved a couple of those guys are with music scene outside of their band.

Oh yes. The Toto gang pretty much did played the whole MJ "Thriller" album (along with Greg Phillinganes and others, of course). By the way, Paich is the guy playing the piano on MJ's "Stranger In Moscow"...

One thing I was really surprised to learn was that David Paich co-composed Cheryl Lynn's funky "Got To Be Real" with David Foster!

My favorite Toto albums are "IV" and the first one.

I'd forgotten about Toto. The bass player in a band I work with suggested adding Gorgy Porgy to the set (we're not BTW). He's the younger side of forty with the rest of the band - good to know they're still being played somewhere.

The two 21 year olds that front it have us doing Beach Boy numbers.

I look at them when we're ripping through some of these 60s tunes (Beatles stuff) - they play it with such gusto. The Beatles always looked like my parents - older, got my respect - but when I see and hear the younsters playing I get why they were rocky and edgy and the young girls screamed. Gigging life's good right now.

Toto were always old to me - but what a band of players.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived