Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto appreciation thread

Justin Havu

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the early albums have been remastered by Rock Candy. Need to get them. As for the new songs, iit almost makes Falling in Between look like Meet the Beatles and this is Revolver or Sgt Pepper. Really impressed and I think this is gonna be amazing. Falling In Between was incredible and this may top it! Would have liked to have seen Carlock with them but looks like this is never gonna happen. Loved Shannon though so I'm cool with it.

I don't have time right now to read through this thread from start to finish, but I'll just say that Toto is generally misunderstood by most people, as only diehard fans are aware of how much genre-hopping they've done over the years and how they excel at anything they tackle.

I wasn't aware of recent re-masterings, but don't really go shopping these past few years. I can't remember how I felt about the earlier CD masters compared to the vinyl, but in the case of the rare Fahrenheit album (one of my favorite, and featuring Miles Davis), I never even know about it until the CD era.

A friend of mine peripherally or directly works with those guys a lot. Great people, and very humble too. Yet it's too bad about some of the drama with their original singer (and maybe one other) and I think one of the bassists (it's vague at this point; I can't remember the details).

Lukather is probably my all-time guitar hero. His solo albums are awesome too, which can't often be said about ventures away from a band.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm told by a drummer who recently worked with him Bobby has hearing problems and from clips I've heard lately he was singing flat and it didn't sound good. I guess that's why FIB live was auto tuned to the point of absurdity. Joseph just keeps raising his game with his fitness program and vocal coach training and it shows. I got backstage two years ago and even his post show debriefing with the monitor engineer was as intense and dedicated to details as a top race car driver's debriefing with his race engineer.

• 1 month later...

One of the tracks off the new album. Can't wait for this to finally be released!

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

That's understandable, early on, he WAS the voice of Toto. To each his own, but personally, I'm a fan of Joe Williams (Fahrenheit and 7th One are in my top 5 favorite Toto albums, even though I love all of their stuff [with the exception of the stuff they did with Jean-Michel Byron on the Past to Present compilation.) I guess the reason it doesn't sound weird to me that Bobby isn't singing on this album is I'm used to hearing both Bobby and Joseph with Toto. Then again, that's just me. I will say, the keyboard work on the new track is spectacular.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

[with the exception of the stuff they did with Jean-Michel Byron on the Past to Present compilation.)

"Out Of Love" is the best Toto ballad ever.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I'd like it more if Byron wasn't the one singing it. Luke sings a portion of it on the Livefields album.

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, I SO cannot wait for this album!!

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS--Mike Porcaro passed away last night.

Taken from Steve Porcaro's FB page:

"Our brother Mike passed away peacefully in his sleep at 12:04 AM last night at home surrounded by his family. Rest in peace, my brother."

He will definitely be missed.

Hardware

Software

There's a great interview/review of the new album in this month's Mix Magazine, and they talk about how they gave it their all vs. just writing off the end-of-contract. I can't wait to hear the album! I've liked just about everything they've done and have followed them through their ups and downs.

Mike Porcaro will definitely be missed. I believe that is now two deaths in the Toto family, or was there a third somewhere along the line? It must really hit them hard as it really is a family band of brothers and might-as-well-be-brothers.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Three. Jeff Porcaro, Mike Porcaro, & Fergie Fredricksen.

Greg

You are right... :(

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Here's the Mix Magazine article on the new album. It's actually quite informative. Would be cool to see one about the keyboard/synth sounds. Maybe a future Keyboard article??...

CLONK

Hardware

Software

Just pre-ordered the double vinyl of the new album. It gets released a week after the CD release.

Hardware

Software

The album is GREAT.

One of the best of 2015 and in top five of toto albums !!!

"Falling in between" was fantastic but this one is better !!!

Great Expectations...all the prog rock(hard rock) bands must listen this track...

I wish they come to Hellas and i wish to make just one more record. But if they decide not to record new songs again they gave as a masterpiece for their last album !!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Archived