Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Breakout performances

I'm thinking of a performance when a band or artist first made a splash. This is one I remember - You Oughta Know was already getting airplay, but I think she was still pretty unknown at the time of this performance at the MTV awards. I recall sitting up and going 'whoa'.

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me would of been 1966 on a L.A. late night social commentary talk show I believe Jackie Lomax was the host and a group called The Mothers of Invention performed. Something rather odd for asocial commentary talk show to have a musical guest, but it was about interviewing the band leader Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention staging a "Freak out" on TV. I was totally intrigued first the Mothers played and really different sound and loved the lyrics. Then Zappa sat with host who did know how to react and Zappa talked about modern approaches to music notation in experimental music. Then host announced Mothers would play again and stage a "Freak out". This time the music was wilder and they brought a couch out by the band. Along with the Mothers was the Laurel Canyon Ballet dancer who were some of the GTO's before they became the GTO's along with Vito and Carl and others from the Hollywood scene. As music started peaking the dancers start jumping on the couch and tearing it up and tearing up other things. The host of the show was in shock and didn't know how to react and they went to commercial as soon as Mother and dancers stopped. I was jumping up and down at home loving everything about Zappa and the Mothers.

The next day I went out and hit the local records shop until I found a copy of Freak Out by the Mothers of Invention. I was a Zappa fan from that point on. I went to see the original Mothers of Invention and a few other incarnation of the band over the years.

There was a time when interviewers were afraid of Alanis Morissette. Like the lyrics and delivery suggested she had a confrontational temper. She was a badass if there ever was one. She was mesmerizing and captivating. I saw her one time when headlining an arena. She was amazing. But in time she showed she was quite mellow, just deep and intense. She was even leading New Age meditation / women-centric workshops at a retreat in my neck of the woods before Covid shut it down.

I remember seeing Prince in his debut television performance before he was somebody. It was a late night talk show, don't remember which one but he was killing it.

Santana at Woodstock comes to mind too, that concert launched them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Don't be sad for me. She wasn't relevant when I was 27 in my world and still isn't now. I don't think she can sing well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Don't be sad for me. She wasn't relevant when I was 27 in my world and still isn't now. I don't think she can sing well.

I worked an event she did and she's MAJOR pain in the ass. Her band was good and excellent soundman, but didn't think much of her and her music. So you're not alone in thinking she meh.

The most memorable one in my generation's time had to be Michael Jackson at the Motown 25 anniversary special in 1983, first reuniting for a medley with the Jackson 5 and staying on for a solo lip sync performance of "Billie Jean" and doing the moonwalk. I think before that he was certainly famous but was mostly contained to the R&B, soul and disco audiences and, with no disrespect to the Beatles, of course, I don't think there was ever anything bigger than Thriller hitting, to be honest.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The most memorable one in my generation's time had to be Michael Jackson at the Motown 25 anniversary special in 1983, first reuniting for a medley with the Jackson 5 and staying on for a solo lip sync performance of "Billie Jean" and doing the moonwalk. I think before that he was certainly famous but was mostly contained to the R&B, soul and disco audiences and, with no disrespect to the Beatles, of course, I don't think there was ever anything bigger than Thriller hitting, to be honest.

MJ was a great artist and u know he bought most of the Beatles catalog. The Beatles just were so creative in that era u really can't compare apples to oranges, Both were great in there own right.

I would have to give edge to The Beatles but I am older than u so I grew up in that era but could make a case for either one I suppose.

I worked an event she did and she's MAJOR pain in the ass. Her band was good and excellent soundman, but didn't think much of her and her music. So you're not alone in thinking she meh.

This is subterfuge.

There is a difference between personality and the work someone produces.

You are hiding an attempt to knock her down because she wasn't pleasant to you or she bossed you around or made you feel you were incapable of doing work at a satisfying level under her employment.

She is not here to offer her side of things.

Your particular choice of word "meh" and your description of her as being "a MAJOR pain in the ass" speaks volumes about you, not so much her.

This is subterfuge.

There is a difference between personality and the work someone produces.

You are hiding an attempt to knock her down because she wasn't pleasant to you or she bossed you around or made you feel you were incapable of doing work at a satisfying level under her employment.

She is not here to offer her side of things.

Your particular choice of word "meh" and your description of her as being "a MAJOR pain in the ass" speaks volumes about you, not so much her.

Sorry Dr Phil you're not even close. I left a boatload of details out on how she screw everyone doing a benefit gig. So go genuflect to her poster on your wall. Her music is meh and her personality is worse.

The studio recording of "You Oughta Know" does nothing for me - it does not reach me emotionally. It does not convince me that the singer is in touch with her pain - it just sounds like someone who is unhappy, but without knowing why. And it did not make me want to listen to any other song from Alanis.

But the version from Jagged Little Pill Acoustic just kills me. And the high point is not the f-bomb, but when she cries "It's not fair" - it just reaches right through me:

Whatever producer oversaw the original studio recording completely missed.

Sorry Dr Phil you're not even close. I left a boatload of details out on how she screw everyone doing a benefit gig. So go genuflect to her poster on your wall. Her music is meh and her personality is worse.

Again, we only have your words to go on this. Sure you left out plenty including 100% of her side of things. Now that you are being called out for your comments you respond by attempting to sway people adding how it was a benefit. You hope to appeal to the good in people eliciting "How dare anyone screw people involved in a charity event." And again all of this reflects more on your character than hers.

Well, I guess you can count me in as one of those who just don't dig Ms Morrisette. I've got no problem with her personally, I swear, I just really, REALLY hate the sound of her voice....having said that, her cover of that insipid Black Eyed Peas song is absolutely brilliant, IMO.....

The most memorable one in my generation's time had to be Michael Jackson at the Motown 25 anniversary special in 1983
GREAT example! This was definitely electrifying - if I could edit the post header I would change to "electrifying breakout performance". And even though Michael Jackson was already a huge star, this took him to a new, stratospheric level.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I remember Terrence Trent D'Arby putting on a fantastic performance at a mid-80s awards show, dancing up a storm with Michael Jackson in the front row.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I remember seeing Prince in his debut television performance before he was somebody. It was a late night talk show, don't remember which one but he was killing it.

He was already huge when he did the Super Bowl performance in the rain, but that blew me away. Blew a lot of people away.

I'm thinking of a performance when a band or artist first made a splash. This is one I remember - You Oughta Know was already getting airplay, but I think she was still pretty unknown at the time of this performance at the MTV awards. I recall sitting up and going 'whoa'.

Count me as a member of the unimpressed; but of course, check out her drummer....!

I loved Alanis when she came out the music was different and cool and she was gorgeous. I just picked up a bass gig and am playing You Oughta Know. Fun song to play. I have played it on keys before. Didn't follow her career after so I have no clue about any later albums or music.