Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Labor Day Weekend in USA - R U Playing?

ITGITC

Are you playing music anywhere this weekend?

Congratulations to MikeT. He's lined up a gig to play at a private party in the mountains of PA. He does a solo act and says that this is his first gig in TEN YEARS. I hope you'll join me in wishing Mike the best.

I WON'T be playing in my black thong this weekend. Maybe I'll get down to the neighborhood swim club and jam with some friends. Gasoline prices are such that people all around are thinking about making the best of the weekend at home instead of driving to the beach. Of course, if I can get a ride... :idea::P

Happy Thursday going on Friday! :thu::)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're booked for a freebie party Sunday. Pretty loose details, may fall through. Our first gig, scheduled for this past Monday, DID fall through on a double booking. Which would make THIS our first gig.

I'm looking forward to it - haven't played out in forever. Unless you count church. Or jam sessions. Or church jam sessions... :D

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Gasoline prices are such that people all around are thinking about making the best of the weekend at home instead of driving to the beach. Of course, if I can get a ride... :idea::P

Tom

Speaking of gas and trying to save money...does anybody know a good way to transport their rig via moped? :D

Quoate Garrafonbb

Speaking of gas and trying to save money...does anybody know a good way to transport their rig via moped?

--------------------------------------------------

LOL ....I can get my practice rig in my Miata with the top up.

Gas... Played a gig today but nothing but a jam lined up for the weekend. Jammin with the sounds of the Ocean er will maybe the Bogue Sound, but water lapping none the less. Playing next Friday Sept 9th in your neighborhood at The Upper Deck in Cary, NC.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Quote by GAS:

-------------------------------------------

Congratulations to MikeT. He's lined up a gig to play at a private party in the mountains of PA. He does a solo act and says that this is his first gig in TEN YEARS. I hope you'll join me in wishing Mike the best.

Hey thanks so much Tom. :thu:

I am SO ready to play a gig again. I guess this means I'm officially out of retirement. Enjoy your weekend, you really don't want to prance around in a thong at your age anyway. :cool:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Nothing this weekend but my wife and I are leaving shortly to hear a group in Den Bosch. (That's a larger city and capitol of the province we live in.)

Whenever I hear you guys in the US complain about the price of gasoline I always post this link to a DOE \ EIA site ... link ....

My next job is the 9th of September with a trio.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Woo hoo - I am playing this weekend. Tonight actually. At a local bar that is a really fun place to play. Kind of a dive, but that just makes the crowd livelier actually. Gotta watch out for beer bottles flyin' when the Jimmy Smith tune comes out though.

www.sweetandthebackbeat.com

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Played my usual Thurs. bar gig that I've had for years. I've got tonight off. Tomorrow afternoon, I've got a gig in a winery tasting room (if a winery calls it's bar a "tasting room" then it's open to all ages, although the kids can't drink the wine). Then I've got about an hour to hightail it over to me Sat. night bar gig. Both Sunday and Monday I'm back at the winery...holiday weekends are a big deal at wineries. The one I'm playing has averaged $10,000 in sales per day on Labor Day weekend in the past. I play a combination of my old piano bar stuff and the one man band routine that I use in my usual bar gigs.

Originally posted by Phred:

Gotta watch out for beer bottles flyin' when the Jimmy Smith tune comes out though.

hmmm... ever thought to try with a chicken net? ;) It works wonders... even with "Gimme some lovin"... (hint, hint... :idea: )
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Quote by Bill H.

-----------------------------------------

Oh yeah...it's good to have you back in the ranks Mike T156! Let us know how it goes.

-----------------------------------------

Thanks Bill. Music gets in the blood. After a long time without playing gigs, it will be great to be playing again. I'll probably have more babble about my first gig in 10 years than anyone could stand, so I'll try to keep it down to a dull roar. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

No gigs for me, but....I'm going to start mixing my son's cd project tomorrow morning. He's got all the tracks done. All origonal stuff- he plays guitar,sings, and did all the programing. i played a little wurli on one or two cuts. It's actually good stuff. I'm really proud of the work he's done. He just turned 21 and is a music comp. major. He's an alternative rocker kind of guy.

Roll, Roll, Roll... I'm painting the our (wife,me)

new store and working studio . Thank goodness my good friend and guitar player in my band helped today. :) And we were worried it may not have enough sq.ft. Today I think it has too much :freak: Only 15 more gallons of paint to go roll, roll roll Any one wanna help.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

I'll probably have more babble about my first gig in 10 years than anyone could stand, so I'll try to keep it down to a dull roar. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

OK. Start babbling. How'd it go?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My new outfit played a house party last night - a tidy 8-song set of originals and one Gary Numan cover (no, not THAT song...) It was our first show outside the confines of our rehersal space, so it was a pretty big deal for us. I think it went really well and the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

r33k

Quote by GAS:

OK. Start babbling. How'd it go?

Tom

Hey Tom, I just got in after packing up my equipment. Fortunately, I had some help. One of the guys that put on the event brought his pickup truck over and I put my PA and rack case in it, the rest in my Grand Cherokee, so everything went in one trip. He also brought the PA gear back to my house when I got finished. Man, I gettin' damn old. I'll be hurtin' tomorrow, not use to moving all this equipment. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I got there early to get set up. I spent quite a bit of time EQin' and sound check. BIG crowd of people. A lot of families with children, but also a mob of people there to dance, drink, and party. It was a fun crowd to entertain. They "made" me play overtime. :) They offered to pay me more, but I just had them pass the hat. I came out with another 55 or 60 bucks on the hat pass. Cool.

I had some problems with my Peavey speakers, which I used for monitors. They've been acting up the last few months. I bet one speaker is toast, it cuts out. I changed the speaker cable and it was still doing it off and on. I'm glad I brought my JBL PA speakers, they sounded great.

The gig went really well. I made a few minor mistakes, I was probably the only one to notice. I could use more country and country rock songs on my list for these folks, but they pretty well sucked up everything I played. I saved a lot of fast dance tunes for the last set to wear them out. Jessie's Girl, Beatle songs, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, and Piano Man, went over great. I had to play Piano Man 3 TIMES! The last time I played it they were all singing along and swaying back and forth, half drunk and trying to keep everyone together. Pretty funny. It was a fun day/night and I'm sure they were happy with the music.

Now I have to clean and setup up everything in my music room again, but no complaints, it was GREAT to be out playing again. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

NOPE! :) Finally had a vacation! We've been super (thankfully) busy for the last few months. This break was much needed. Took the fam camping! We went to this marvelous place here in Arizona called Mormon Lake and had a ball. Had a wonderful weekend!

Originally posted by MikeT156:

...it was GREAT to be out playing again. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Good on ya, Mike. :thu:

Did anyone get any pictures?

Perhaps you'll get some more gigs from folks who heard you at this one.

Good luck.

Tom

Tom, there were a few folks with cameras, but I don't know that anyone took any pictures of my setup straight on. I wasn't concerned about pictures yesterday.

I need to get some gear fixed, I need a case for my Motif ES, and a cover for my rack case. The rack case is a studio case with a laminated finish. Right now I need to pay bills with the $$$ I made yesterday. It was pretty good $pay$, but it won't go far.

Later,

Mike T.

Archived