Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Just checked that album out, and it's right up my alley.  I've always had a thing for "smooth jazz".  It's great when it's done right.

I was also a little inspired by some of Pat Metheny's lighter stuff for that tune, mainly "James", to the point where I used a pretty familiar sound for those Lyle Mays fans out there. ;)

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 8:41 AM, Al Quinn said:
On 4/29/2023 at 12:35 AM, Mighty Motif Max said:

34:57 - If I Ain't Got You

Nice work Max. I like how you bring the strings in behind the piano on the intro. Thanks for sharing.

MODX7 looks like a nice lightweight keyboard. I went with the YC73 instead because I usually struggle playing piano on a semi-weighted action but you seem to be fine with it.

Thanks Al! The YC73 was definitely a better choice for piano. While it may look/sound like I'm fine with the MODX7 action for piano, it requires a lot of concentration on light dynamic changes when playing to get it to sound like a responsive keybed. It's just too light and *shallow* to be able to just sit back and play without consciously thinking about needing to play more carefully to coax the dynamics out of it. I've adjusted velocity curves and there's just a limit to how responsive I can get it to be for piano - but for everything else, it's awesome! EP's, organs, synths, etc - it's a nice light synth keybed. It just is not great for piano - quite possibly on the worse end of the spectrum compared to, say, my Fantom 7 (which is not bad at all), or even the Korg Krome I had for a while (the key hinging wasn't great but I could get more dynamics out of it). It helps that I am using the Synthogy American Grand sound library for a lot of songs, including If I Ain't Got You. It's my go-to piano now on the MODX and has a good variety of dynamic layers and such that help compensate somewhat for the lightness of the keybed.

I'm only using it as a single keyboard rig these days due to the portability and sound quality/flexibility - I've gradually moved away from my PC4 for most band gigs as it has too many shortcomings in the sound departments that I often use (synths in particular and I'm still not super pleased with the pianos live) and I do struggle with the programming side a bit. The MODX7 is a great general-purpose board, but not for fine piano dynamics at all! The keybed lets it down a bit. My thinking is that the revamped gig rig will be a Nord Stage 4 88 with the MODX7 up top which will address that.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Opening track from the new album:

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

A friend and frequent musical collaborator recently started up a new project that I've been playing keys in, and we played our first gig last weekend. It's been a real treat: it's an old-fashioned, rough-around-the-edges, soulful rock 'n' roll band in the vein of the Stones or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I've loved the relaxed rehearsal schedule for getting arrangements together for the studio and stage work -- I really enjoy just getting to sit in the corner and play Hammond and a little electric piano, sing some harmonies, not have to worry about complicated changes, and jam with some great players on fun, well-written tunes. My assignment before the first studio session was "what would Benmont do" and I've been more than happy to live up to that to the best of my ability.

Here are a few clips from Front & Main's first show in Owego, NY last weekend: two of the originals, and a Pearl Jam cover. Did the whole gig with just my Mojo, and I don't remember the last time I only had to bring one board to a gig. :)  Also, the band did its own sound from the stage in a crowded corner of a bar, and you can still *hear the keyboards* -- even running direct with three (!) guitarists (we last-minute added a special guest, a stellar young lead player who has been sidelined due to an arm injury for the last few years). Yeah, these guys can call me for a gig any time.

• Like 3

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

As some of you may or may not know, today (May 29th. 2023) marks the 40th anniversary of the launch of the much-loved (I fall into this category), and apparently around here, much loathed Yamaha DX7.  To celebrate this auspicious occasion, I quickly threw together a tune using just the DX7 and some RX7 samples.  Enjoy!

• Love 1

Hardware

Software

My electro-rock band, Electrinity!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

11 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

True. I'm wondering about SONY or whoever owns the world's stax/motown rights to revenue. 

I think that’s the concern of whatever platform the performance is hosted on (YouTube, SoundCloud, what have you) rather than KC, which is just the depository of shared/embedded links in this case.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

A random performance of Breezin' by George Benson from a recent gig. I rush a bit in spots, but I really like my solos in this song, starting just shy of the 2:40 mark, and it's one of my personal favorites to play. Enjoy! Or not.

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I got myself back into a groove after a couple of months of ennui by making these one-man-band cover videos in my home studio. They're really just for me -- a chance to dive deeply into some songs I really love that I might not normally bring to a band, sharpen and show off my multi-instrumental chops, and just generally enjoy music for its own sake.

But of course, I wouldn't be a performer if I didn't want people to see my work and clap for me. So, here's a Paul McCartney cover, with me doing my best Hugh McCracken (or was it David Spinozza?) on my clavinet through my Leslie. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Sam, if imitation is the sincerest form form of flattery, then your Back Seat of My Car take qualifies as a world-class love letter to Sir Paul.  You take an obscure McCartney creation, break it down into its component parts and reassemble them in an engaging new package that illuminates just how good the original was.  Lots of talent on display; lots of fun to watch.

Clap, clap, clap.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

9 hours ago, Polychrest said:

Sam, if imitation is the sincerest form form of flattery, then your Back Seat of My Car take qualifies as a world-class love letter to Sir Paul.  You take an obscure McCartney creation, break it down into its component parts and reassemble them in an engaging new package that illuminates just how good the original was.  Lots of talent on display; lots of fun to watch.

Clap, clap, clap.

This is extremely kind and I appreciate it very, very much. Thank you.

To be honest, the last 20-plus years of my musical life have been a love letter to Sir Paul. The "world-class" part is the real trick, and I'm grateful for the kind words.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I posted some live material a few weeks back, but since it's record release day, I wanted to share! I had the privilege of playing keys (and doing a horn arrangement on one track) for a close musical collaborator's new original music project, Front & Main. Really fun, catchy, old-school rock tunes, with a great bunch of players on board.

Side note since I'm among keyboard players: we recorded all the basics live in the room, but on the organ tunes it meant running direct and re-amping through the Leslie afterward. It's really an experience doing those speed changes *later* -- I compared it to driving a car from point A to point B, then deciding where to shift gears after you've arrived. Anyway, hope you enjoy Look Both Ways by Front & Main.

https://frontandmain.bandcamp.com/album/look-both-ways [for download/purchase]

Or stream:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

On 6/17/2023 at 6:54 AM, TWizzle said:

My jazz trio recorded an album last summer and it is now out - all original tunes. Also have some of my solo synth/electronic/experimental stuff up here too (anything labeled "Pilot Program").

https://tomwhiteri.bandcamp.com/

I'm just diving into the "Trio" album, and man, I gotta say -- what gorgeous playing and tones (the piano sound is so present and intimate, but also so lively). Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Excited to check out the synth stuff, too.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I recently sold my 'gigging gear' and, without the distractions of dabbling with that, I found some time on the Mac/Logic to finish up a little tune that has been an ear worm for a while. I was playing the new felt piano on the Yamaha YC and this arpeggiated riff was the starting point. Slow, sweet and a bit ethereal, it builds into something a little more cinematic, thinking soundtrack rather than anything that would have lyrics.

Anyway, always nice to share and get some feedback. Will benefit from being played at volume through some decent cans/speakers. I am yet to mix it through decent monitors.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5