Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 1 - Music

Ted - was damn good talking to you this afternoon :thu::thu: Aside form getting the song done, talking to you lot on the phone has been a highlight!

I did have Tedster foold he'd called California ;)

Phil - I AM the gay Paul Hogan so no offense taken :P Re: Hammond part - it will be a couple of hours before I can get it to you - is that ok? Am half way but on kid duty for next 90 mins.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PHIL!!!

Am in the process of uploading to Nursers' site. Had to get across town to a friend's house for a NYE party; he's got cable modem. Had trouble getting logged onto the MP site for some reason, so I've been trying to give a shout for about 15 minutes now.

The kick drum file was loaded--excrutiatingly slow--via modem from my house before I left, so it's been at Dave's for about 50 minutes now.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

89791 files - all three. :thu: I've started D/L them now... shouldn't take TOO long... an hour or so for all three is my guess, but that's just a WAG. I'll keep you all posted.

Nursers, I think Offramp might be uploading stuff... I noticed there is now a kick and a snare file in the Incoming folder.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

89791 files - all three. :thu: I've started D/L them now... shouldn't take TOO long... an hour or so for all three is my guess, but that's just a WAG. I'll keep you all posted.

Nursers, I think Offramp might be uploading stuff... I noticed there is now a kick and a snare file in the Incoming folder.

No probs - will wait til Offramp tells us he's done then swap em to pub directory :thu:

Originally posted by offramp:

PHIL!!!

Am in the process of uploading to Nursers' site. Had to get across town to a friend's house for a NYE party; he's got cable modem. Had trouble getting logged onto the MP site for some reason, so I've been trying to give a shout for about 15 minutes now.

The kick drum file was loaded--excrutiatingly slow--via modem from my house before I left, so it's been at Dave's for about 50 minutes now.

I didn't see this before I posted my last post. I see the kick, snare, one of the OH's and one of the toms in the incoming directory now. :thu:

PS Please don't get hammered until we finish these transfers... ;)

Hammered, no. Comfortably numb, yes.

(hmmm...there's a song in there, somewhere...nah, it'll never fly.)

To save some time, I'll post here the 'read me' file I would have included in the FTP:

All mics are straight into the MOTU 896. No external processing applied.

No software processing, either.

OH1 is drummers left POV, over hat and crash. OH's are spaced pair (how well remains to be seen).

When I realized I was going to be firmly rooted in the Ringo swat, I opted to leave the hat mic in the mix, so there'd be some definition between hi hat and cymbal washes.

There's a little diddling at the beginning. This is simply me messing around before the click started; I had imported Ted's scratch in exactly as I got it, changing only the mix of it so it wasn't so imbalanced in my phones. I changed no timing.

Dave

BTW: I'd assume you don't need Ted's click track back...? Just to be on the safe side of my reference?

We're on the last file... :thu::D

OK, I have a rhythm part that I think I don't hate (listening again now).

I might be ready to u/l in a few mintues.

Man, it's a shame there's no solo section over a chorus anywhere. I could solo over it all day, it's got great melodic movement!

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Sylver:

OK, I have a rhythm part that I think I don't hate (listening again now).

I might be ready to u/l in a few mintues.

Man, it's a shame there's no solo section over a chorus anywhere. I could solo over it all day, it's got great melodic movement!

Sorry...I didn't think to leave one blank. Take a solo over the blank verse and toss it in anyhoo!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Okay Nursers, I'm at about 65 MB on vocal 1 and 2... as soon as those are done, I'll start vocal 3. While that's going going on, hopefully you can get the drum tracks and guitar tracks transferred over to the PUB folder for me.

Offramp, the kick is 8419, while the snare is 9138 and the hat is 12229... it looks like some of your file sizes are different. Is that what you have at your end?

HEY, WAITAMINUTE...SYLVER...

Lis..ah say LISTEN UP, SON...

There's another possibility. We could possibly leave the first half of the chorus coming out of the solo blank to continue the solo, and then just fill in the second half with words. It might be possible...if you've got something extra cool to say. Go ahead and record along to the first half of the chorus coming out of the solo...and the vocals would come in with "And if you feel you're on your own". That's a viable possibility. I've heard that division done in songs. Not saying it will necessarily work...but not saying it won't either. We'd have to leave that up to the exec.

That should be correct offramp, yeah :thu:

Phil - have you finished downloading ted's? Once you have I will delete them from server to keep plenty of disk space.

I've got Ted's vocal tracks (all three), but not the guitars... I am doing the drum tracks at the moment, and am about half way done with those.

I was thinking about the server too, but if you can keep them up there until I can load them into PT and check / confirm everything is okay, that might not be a bad idea - especially if they take a while for you to re-upload.

I've kept all the original emails with the various other files I was sent (Paul and Wow's guitars, Bill's stuff, etc.) - just in case.

Originally posted by Sylver:

Try listening to a Rembrandts disc, maybe the third one, for inspiration.

All my guitar tracks have uploaded. I'm probably gonna sign off here for the night. If you need me, I'll be up for a bit, you know where to call!

Lindsay and her gal pals are having a New Year's Rockin' Eve out in the studio, so I won't get to think about anything like backing vocals 'til tomorrow.

Happy New Years, guys!

Originally posted by forceman:

Phil, is the bassline ok?

I've only heard it on the one rough mix, and it was pretty hard to hear on these cheesy computer speakers... is it an 8th note type feel? Ideally I think that's what the song calls for, but if not, let me see what we have on the recording and we'll work from there. I do have the file though.

Okay, almost done with the drum tracks... once I get the rest of the hi hat, I'm going to start the d/l for Ted's two gtr tracks, then run out to the studio and try to uncompress the drums and set the session up. As soon as I know for certain I have those, I'll let you know Nursers so you can pull them off the server.

Ok, I'm u/ling my file now. Now, this is a bit rough I'm afraid, but I wanted to send something. If it can be used as is(which I doubt), great, or if you guys like where I'm going musically, but feel it's too rough, I can re-track when I have a little more time.

Or you can just say "fuck it" and dump it. I at least wanted to post SOMETHING.

I really don't know what to put here.

Good man Sylver. :thu:

Nursers, I am headed to the studio to check on the drum tracks now... and Ted's guitar tracks (rhythm and 12 str) are d/l while I'm doing that. I'll check back in momentarily.

Bunny and FoxTick should be here shortly too.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I've got Ted's vocal tracks (all three), but not the guitars... I am doing the drum tracks at the moment, and am about half way done with those.

I was thinking about the server too, but if you can keep them up there until I can load them into PT and check / confirm everything is okay, that might not be a bad idea - especially if they take a while for you to re-upload.

I've kept all the original emails with the various other files I was sent (Paul and Wow's guitars, Bill's stuff, etc.) - just in case.

No probs - will leave them there until you say so. Am just uploading my hammond part - it's a basic hammond flow - no solos etc as I think ther are enough people wanting to solo :D

The file is called fear-nursershammond.wav :thu:

Nursers, I'm cool with all the drum tracks... you can pull those off the server.

Offramp - only one question... are the toms done as Tom 1 Hi rack -> tom 3 floor, or the other way around? I didn't bother to check, and I suppose I can, but if you can post that (as well as OH 1 hat side, OH 2 ride side or whatever), I'd appreciate it. :thu:

I'm going to check on the D/L's of Ted's guitar parts next and will get back to you on that. I still have not checked the vocal tracks, so please leave those up for the time being Nursers.

ONE PROBLEM: Your organ track (original - NOT Hammond) is here and works, but I get a corrupted file error when I try to un-shorten the ARP track. I may need a reload of that one.

Hey guys:

I've done a bassline and uploaded it here:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music

The two files are:

Fear_DaveSisk_FrettedBassline.shn

Fear_DaveSisk_FretlessBassline.shn

Both files are on the same bassline, just done on a fretted bass (Musicman Stingray, bright and punchy) and a fretless (Dean Edge, dark and moany). Almost entirely roots, but I tried to create a fairly rhythmic and slightly "ahead of the beat" bassline that would match what I would expect the drum licks to probably sound like. Let me know what you think.

Check these out and use them if you like...let me know if I need to change anything (email me at davesisk@ipass.net). They both have Ted's click panned hard left, bass line panned hard right.

Tommorrow morning I plan to record some electronic drum tracks (live though...not a drum machine). I'm going to try a half-time thing over the verse...hard to explain, but I'll post when I've uploaded it so you can give it a listen. I hope to have this done by noon.

Also, let me know if you think some percussion might be cool on this song.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived