Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia KeyLab mk3 is out

Now, if they produced on in a 73/76 format or even an 88 with semi-weighted keys, that would be different...just seems more of the same really with cosmetic shift.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I watched a couple of reviews this morning. It is an upgrade, but it some ways it seems like a step back. Example: removing the buttons below the sliders. I have the Arturia synth and effect collection but it does not seem like something I gotta have to better use the collection.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

8 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Faders still on the right.  

I prefer the drum pads on the right and the faders on the left, alas.  

That would've been enough for me to "upgrade" but not seeing anything new that I need over the MKII that I currently own.

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

I have the Keylab MKII. 

Folks say they LOVE the keyed but I'm definitely not one of them. 

The amount of controllers onhand is impressive.

However based on what I'm seeing this the MK3 is not looking anything like an 'upgrade' aside from vers # ascension.

I like my mk2 a lot.  

New version appears to gain fancier screen and USB-C.  It loses:

- buttons below sliders

- two additional aux pedal inputs

- cv connectors

I personally only use the first one above but doesn't seem like a great tradeoff to me.  If they had done MPE, then it might be tempting.  

• Thanks 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Wake me up when the version with the PolyBrute 12 PAT keyboard comes out.

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

1 hour ago, mobi said:

Still no poly aftertouch, how come?

It's the Yamaha model of "phased incrementation" adopted by most these days.... they make money from hardware not upgrades, so no matter how minor the change it's a new bit of hardware!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I ordered one. 
The keys play just fine to me. 

For me, the ability to modify parameters on the screen instead of having to open the MIDI Control Center is a major plus. 

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Keybed feel being as personal as it is, I might be happy with this one, if it sits in the middle decently. I like to finger-drum with my left, so the pads are where I'd prefer them. Aftertouch is a minor thing for me. Mono is basically useful for leads. So far, poly AT seems to either stand out in a rather glaring fashion or its so subtle, its a bit hard to pinpoint. The technique is still trying to solidify in peoples' minds, including mine. This may only be an incremental upgrade, but it was already a decent package. I never quite got on the Arturia train, but its sure become more impressive lately. 👍

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

My only interest in this was the hope that it might have poly AT, I don't see any mention of it.  I'll keep using my "retired" hardware keyboards, though the one with the action I like best (Kurzweil pc361) has a pitch wheel that likes to throw out messages if I touch the mod wheel or even the chassis, so I had to disable it.

I'm honestly not sure how much I'd use it--I don't use mono AT much at home, I generally draw in automation for cutoff/resonance afterward or map things to the mod wheel.  It's more of a curiosity deal :) 

6 hours ago, Sam Mullins said:

I like my mk2 a lot.  

New version appears to gain fancier screen and USB-C.  It loses:

- buttons below sliders

- two additional aux pedal inputs

- cv connectors

I personally only use the first one above but doesn't seem like a great tradeoff to me.  If they had done MPE, then it might be tempting.  

Their current trend in minimalism (astrolab) and now stripping features in this “upgrade” is baffling to me. Eventually the MK series will just feature one key and a midi port. 🤣

It’s like they put all of their design acumen into the Polybrute and then phoned it in on the rest. MK II works fine for me and definitely skipping this one.

• Haha 1

One reviewer compared the mk2 61 to a mk3 49 and said the keybed was alot better on the mk3.  More like a higher quality synth now. So they ditched a couple of exp pedal ports for a better keybed. If the sliders weren't on the wrong side and the price was $100 less I might be tempted.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, dalpozlead said:

wheels in this "Up" position for the 61 key version is unacceptable for me....

I assume by Up you mean above the keyboard.  I get that but I have the opposite preference.  I no longer buy keyboards where the wheels are to the left.  Part of being older and minimizing the schlep effort; want things as light and short as possible.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

My MKII has been serving me well for 3 years, I think its a nice item especially with the transport controls and it interfaces with Studio one nicely.

I have it on a tier stand above my SL 88 and still use it for drums, B3's and bass sounds. 

Its one item along with my ES8 I will never sell nor trade in

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 6:10 PM, mobi said:

I had an NI Kontrol S61 mk3 with polyAT that cost me $849. I found that I never used polyAT at all. I just ordered the new Arturia KeyLab 61 mk3 and it’s $300 cheaper than the NI (likely because it doesn’t have polyAT) , has drum pads, faders/draw bars, better Arturia software integration, and it’s much more streamlined and not a big imposing slab like the NI.

• Like 1

I’m still trying to figure out the logic of dropping CV outs. Maybe to try and drive more people towards purchasing the KeyStep Pro as well if they want to add this functionality into their set ups? Would’ve been cooler imo to build out it’s CV capabilities even more or at least keep what they already had in the MKII.

• Like 3

I agree that I don't understand why they got rid of some of the jacks on the back. I realize that probably a very small percentage of people were using those but it was exactly what I liked about it.

That being said, I quit using the MKII a while ago and got rid of it.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 8/27/2024 at 5:10 PM, mobi said:

The pads on my original Keylab send poly AT, but not the keys.

I would have liked to see them add more CV outs, rather than ditch them completely.

• Like 2