Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone heard of this guy Rick Beato?

2 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I saw him in a pub in Manhattan and invited him to join us, which he did. We had some interesting conversation. Nice guy, knowledgeable about music, having success on his YouTube channel. Turns out we have some mutual friends / acquaintances. I’m not a hardcore fan and just watch the episodes that interest me. I’m the guy sitting next to him in this pic. Everyone was polite 😁

That must have been fun Al. 🍻 Rick is quite the font of knowledge. To me his videos are worth dropping the needle on: especially the ones relating to classic rock and music production. In these areas particularly I would describe him as high signal to noise.

Are there other high signal to noise channels in music? Anybody worth promoting?

Sure. Three personal favorites are David Bruce for composition, Open Studio for Jazz and Orchestration Online for formal orchestration. Mattia Chiappa and Ryan Leach are good if you aspire to compose soundtracks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I saw him in a pub in Manhattan and invited him to join us, which he did. We had some interesting conversation. Nice guy, knowledgeable about music, having success on his YouTube channel. Turns out we have some mutual friends / acquaintances. I’m not a hardcore fan and just watch the episodes that interest me. I’m the guy sitting next to him in this pic. Everyone was polite 😁

image.jpeg

Maybe I've watched the Godfather and Goodfellas too many times, but when I see a group of characters like this in a darkly-wooded NYC restaurant I say to myself "stay cool, eyes ahead, just keep walking, hope they don't notice that you noticed them."

• Haha 5

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Haha. Come on, you guys aren't this bored are ya?

You know another cool channel that may be more immediately applicable and/or time worthy to many here might be
https://www.youtube.com/@Producelikeapro 

*Sure, there's some gear fluff to wade through but overall I love their approach and demeanor. Lot's of good stuff one can utilize in getting their music out they way they want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

Haha. Come on, you guys aren't this bored are ya?

You know another cool channel that may be more immediately applicable and/or time worthy to many here might be

*Sure, there's some gear fluff to wade through but overall I love their approach and demeanor. Lot's of good stuff one can utilize in getting their music out they way they want.

This guy is fantastic too, total no BS attitude, truly humble, and an excellent engineer/producer.

"While other "experts" online are trying to teach you useless rules and place limitations on your work - advice like "only boost 3db on an EQ" or "avoid using compression," I'm here to reveal the techniques that pro engineers actually use on real world records. "

https://www.youtube.com/@hardcoremusicstudio/videos

• Like 3

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

16 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Way too much entitlement and ego and the recurring judgement and bashing of the generations younger than himself is clearly an attitude of "I'm right, everybody who's not with me is wrong", too toxic for my appreciation.

I know he is famous and a lot of people respect him, but his sanctimony makes it impossible for me to listen to him at all.

-dj

• Thanks 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

22 hours ago, Anderton said:

Bob Lefsetz's podcasts are excellent. A lot of times he interviews people you haven't heard of, but are huge behind-the-scenes players in the music industry. They have some fascinating insights.

Lefsetz breaks the old saw that rock journalism is “people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read.”  He writes with passion and insight (and lots of stylistically forgivable comma splices).  For boomer rockers and old-time industry veterans, his daily newsletter is a must-read.

• Like 1

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

1 hour ago, DJkeys said:

I know he is famous and a lot of people respect him, but his sanctimony makes it impossible for me to listen to him at all.

-dj

Spot on!!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I, too, find him smart and talented and nice but insufferable to watch because of the viewpoint that however music was when he came to it is how it shall be forever. I get that he's low-hanging Boomer bait and I understand it. Nothing against him at all, he hit on the Golden Ticket and I completely admire him for it, just as surely as I want nothing to do with 97% of his output. Fortunately that still leaves like 12,471 videos in the remaining 3%.

I just don't think a guy who produces a new video every 45 minutes really needs us to start a new thread for each one. We all know where to find him if we want: literally anywhere we look on the internet. It's never keyboard-oriented, so let the rest of the WWW take care of his distribution and we can use those open slots for six more threads about Moog. 

• Like 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

5 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

I do enjoy me some Warren Huart. He did a Q&A video where the Q was "as a producer, which instrument should I learn?". And Warren replied "you know I'm a guitar player, I love guitar, I've spent my whole life playing guitar, I've done my 10,000 hours on guitar, and as a guitar player I would definitely say... keyboards!".

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

I do think it's worth pointing out that the generational division isn't as ironclad as it was back in the days when boomers were young. You're just as likely to find Millennials and Gen Zers listening to AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.

My wife loves concerts and goes to local concerts by the better "tribute" bands. The age of attendees are all over the map.

6 minutes ago, Anderton said:

I do think it's worth pointing out that the generational division isn't as ironclad as it was back in the days when boomers were young. You're just as likely to find Millennials and Gen Zers listening to AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.

My wife loves concerts and goes to local concerts by the better "tribute" bands. The age of attendees are all over the map.

This is surely true, but inherent in that is the underlying belief among those young listeners in the egalitarianism of those varied options--that music is broad and varied and there are good selections from all eras. To my eye/ear/brain, Beato's approach--and his appeal among his demographic--is that he peddles the notion that the music that he was first exposed to was superior to everything since, with the occasional exception of anything else that sounds like the music he prefers. He makes it OK to believe music was once good (coincidentally, at the exact point in time he was discovering and learning about it), and now is less good. I have no patience for that shortsighted view. Music is music. If it's not for you, that's all there is to say. You can't 100% agree with your own taste and call it science.

• Like 2

www.joshweinstein.com

1 minute ago, MathOfInsects said:

This is surely true, but inherent in that is the underlying belief among those young listeners in the egalitarianism of those varied options--that music is broad and varied and there are good selections from all eras. To my eye/ear/brain, Beato's approach--and his appeal among his demographic--is that he peddles the notion that the music that he was first exposed to was superior to everything since, with the occasional exception of anything else that sounds like the music he prefers. He makes it OK to believe music was once good (coincidentally, at the exact point in time he was discovering and learning about it), and now is less good. I have no patience for that shortsighted view.

That is a pretty shortsighted view of what you think he does. Just among his "What Makes This Song Great?" series, there's Adele, Kelly Clarkson, and The Killers. 

His quick takes on the current Top 10 are often dismissive, but there's usually quite a bit of "oh wow, that's some great stuff" in there behind the click-bait thumbnails, even for the latest stuff. 

I don't expect him to do an in-depth analysis of why a rap track is particularly great, and he's well within his rights not to. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

15 minutes ago, analogika said:

That is a pretty shortsighted view of what you think he does. Just among his "What Makes This Song Great?" series, there's Adele, Kelly Clarkson, and The Killers. 

His quick takes on the current Top 10 are often dismissive, but there's usually quite a bit of "oh wow, that's some great stuff" in there behind the click-bait thumbnails, even for the latest stuff. 

I don't expect him to do an in-depth analysis of why a rap track is particularly great, and he's well within his rights not to. 

Here is the list of songs he explores in that series. Let me know if a pattern jumps out at you. By the way, the Adele song you mentioned? 2011--13 years ago. Kelly Clarkson? 2004. 20 years old. That Killers song? Same year.

Are there a couple of <50-year-old songs on there? Sure. I accounted for those when I mentioned that he will occasionally tolerate a newer song if it falls in the category of things he likes about his classic rock and 90's songs.

If you had to make pie chart, would you even see the slice of non-two-generations-ago material on that chart? I think the that tiny slice would be filled with sounds of silence...which is one of the songs he discusses. Topical stuff!!

1. blink-182 - All The Small Things
2. The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
3. Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
4. Nirvana - On A Plain
5. Pearl Jam - Jeremy
6. Linkin Park - Numb
7. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down
8. A Perfect Circle - Judith
9. Toto - Rosanna
10. Soundgarden - Superunknown
11. Metallica - Enter Sandman
12. Alice In Chains - Them Bones
13. TOOL - Schism
14. Foo Fighters - Everlong
15. Boston - Hitch a Ride
16. Ariana Grande - Into You
17. Rush - Closer To The Heart
18. Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline
19. Van Halen - Runnin' With The Devil
20. The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
21. Train - Drops of Jupiter
22. System Of A Down - Chop Suey!
23. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
24. Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
25. David Bowie - Let's Dance
26. Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds
27. Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
28. Coldplay - Clocks
29. The Police - Every Breath You Take
30. Muse - Starlight
31. Steely Dan - Don't Take Me Alive
32. Yes - Roundabout
33. Incubus - Pardon Me
34. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
35. Oasis - Wonderwall
36. Adele - Rumor Has It
37. TOOL - Parabola
38. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
39. Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
40. The Chainsmokers - Closer ft. Halsey
41. PERIPHERY - Absolomb
42. Pearl Jam · Garden
43. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
44. Mastodon - Stargasm
45. U2 - In God's Country
46. Tom Petty - Free Fallin'
47. The Beatles - Her Majesty
48. Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
49. Faith No More - Epic
50. Avenged Sevenfold - Shepherd Of Fire
51. Alice In Chains - Man in the Box
52. Genesis - Dance On A Volcano
53. The Doors - Touch Me
54. Weezer - Hash Pipe
55. At The Drive-In - "One Armed Scissor"
56. Van Halen - Jump
57. Soundgarden - Outshined
58. Rush - Limelight
59. Failure- Stuck on You
60. Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
61. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
62. Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction
63. Slipknot - Duality
64. Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
65. Pantera - Walk
66. Boston - More Than a Feeling
67. Plini - Electric Sunrise
68. The Rolling Stones - Angie
69. Jeff Buckley - Vancouver
70. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
71. XTC - Mayor Of Simpleton
72. R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
73. Deftones - Minerva
74. Foo Fighters - The Pretender
75. Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son
76. Stevie Wonder - Superstition
77. Elton John - Rocket Man
78. The Cure - Just Like Heaven
79. Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
80. Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life
81. Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
82. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
83. Karnivool - Goliath
84. Korn - Freak On a Leash
85. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
86. Joni Mitchell - Amelia
87. Pearl Jam - Black
88. Coldplay - The Scientist
89. Gordon Lightfool - If You Could Read My Mind
90. Crowfield - Cardinal Motion
91. The Who - Love, Reign O’er Me
92. A Perfect Circle - Weak and Powerless
93. Phish - Waste
94. The Cars - Just What I Needed
95. Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do
96. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
97. U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
98. Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
99. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
100. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In the Name
101. Polyphia - G.O.A.T.
102. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
103. Seal - Kiss From A Rose
104. Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
105. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
106. Slipknot - Before I forget
107. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
108. Chicago - Make Me Smile
109. The Police - Muder by numbers
110. blink-182 - What's my age again?
111. Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer
112. Tears for Fears - Everybody wants to rule the world
113. Elton John - Tiny dancer

1. The Killers - Mr Brightside
2. Deep Purple - Smoke on the water

www.joshweinstein.com

I would expect him to stay within his area of expertise. 

The other thing is that "greatness" of a track is judged by staying power — time. 

I also note that there's a bunch of stuff that feels "recent" to me, but it's 25 years old. 

I'm old. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

I don't pay much attention to Beato. Just curious whether he interviews current DJs, or some of the "old guard" veterans like Carl Cox, Armin Van Buuren, BT, or Paul van Dyk? I'd think they would make for interesting interviews, and might broaden his perspective regarding what qualifies as "music." 

I pretty much dismissed DJs because I associated the term with people playing "Evergreen" at weddings. But then I saw some jaw-droppingly brilliant club DJs who blew my mind. I ended up jamming with DJs, and then performing with them. Those were some of the most satisfying experiences I ever had on stage. 

Sometimes people just need to be exposed to good examples of new music to get into new music. Another example is I never got into rap until I heard Public Enemy. I couldn't believe the power and message of Chuck D's voice, and how PE integrated sampling with live instruments.

Being exposed to new music has had a huge influence in the music I make. You can hear a lot of "DJ thinking" even in my rock songs.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I just don't think a guy who produces a new video every 45 minutes really needs us to start a new thread for each one. 

Well, now, because you've formally protested, it will be every 30 minutes. 

But yeah, it's gotten absurd. I come here because it's a KEYBOARD forum. When the signal to noise ratio dips below a certain threshold, I start wondering why bother.

GIve me the 1,456th thread on which stand works best for a dual-keyboard set up, I'm happy as a pig in sh#t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Beato says he does videos on artists and topics that interest him.  He claims this is how be avoids (and will keep on avoiding) burn out that most youtubers succumb to.   The interviews and a lot of the WMTSG tunes are what I mostly gravitate to.   I check in on his channel every week or so.  If people want to post here on some topic or artist he's covered, I'm fine with that.   It's not like this forum has a S/N problem (plus, we're all different.  One person's signal is another person's noise.).    I think a lot of what's happening here is the BDS (Beato Derangement Syndrome).    

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I, too, find him smart and talented and nice but insufferable to watch because of the viewpoint that however music was when he came to it is how it shall be forever. I get that he's low-hanging Boomer bait and I understand it. Nothing against him at all, he hit on the Golden Ticket and I completely admire him for it, just as surely as I want nothing to do with 97% of his output. Fortunately that still leaves like 12,471 videos in the remaining 3%.

I just don't think a guy who produces a new video every 45 minutes really needs us to start a new thread for each one. We all know where to find him if we want: literally anywhere we look on the internet. It's never keyboard-oriented, so let the rest of the WWW take care of his distribution and we can use those open slots for six more threads about Moog. 

Yeahhh more Moog to the people, let's hope InMusic takes this legacy to a good place and makes sure they're not getting stuck in the pretentious overpriced segment only!

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

57 minutes ago, Adan said:

Well, now, because you've formally protested, it will be every 30 minutes. 

But yeah, it's gotten absurd. I come here because it's a KEYBOARD forum. When the signal to noise ratio dips below a certain threshold, I start wondering why bother.

He's done a great interview with Keith Jarrett. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Those of you who find Rick insufferable, absolutely do not watch his latest video. Seems he might have been reading some of the comments here - he's on a tear! (I'm enjoying his rant right now!). I'm with him 100%.

Boy did he ever hit the nail on the head!  Thanks for posting that. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3