Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone heard of this guy Rick Beato?

I just found this guy on youtube, and it looks like he has a ton of content there. I'm surprised no one's mentioned him here. Anyone ever seen any of his stuff?

• Confused 1
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 8

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Yeah, I heard of him. He is one of the 1% of musicians who actually make a living from this crazy business. Something we should all support. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Finally, a thread where we can discuss Beato without being distracted by lesser lights such as the Beatles, Taylor Swift, etc.

Wait, I think I just said Beato is "bigger" than the Beatles. Ironies run rampant!

On a more serious note, I have difficulty with the concept that I am somehow "supporting" music by clicking on YouTube videos. I go out to see live music whenver I can (which, sadly, is much less than before I had kids). That, to me, is the purest and most satisfying way to keep music alive in this troubled world. I believe in it, and I do it. By contrast, when I click on a YouTube video, the poster of that video gets fraction of the money that advertisers are paying to YouTube.  That's 2 intermediaries between me and the musician, and one of them is, for all I know, some product I have no desire to promote or support. I'll click if I want to click, but the idea of clicking just as a show of support is lost on me.

Second non-smartass point: I have no serious problems with Beato: he's good, he's fine, he's not heavy, he's my brother, etc.  But I also don't think he invented music analysis, music interviews, or anything else. He's a guy who does it all reasonably well and who happens to have found a way to blow himself up on the internet. The egalitarian in me has kind of a strong adverse reaction to this, which is to say, it makes me want to look for people other than Beato who do this stuff and should be getting more the pie. So when I hear someone say "we've got to stand up for Beato!" my first reaction is "no, actually, he seems to be doing ok as it is. Let's talk about someone else who needs our support more."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

16 minutes ago, Adan said:

The egalitarian in me has kind of a strong adverse reaction to this, which is to say, it makes me want to look for people other than Beato who do this stuff and should be getting more the pie. So when I hear someone say "we've got to stand up for Beato!" my first reaction is "no, actually, he seems to be doing ok as it is. Let's talk about someone else who needs our support more."

I agree! So who is that person?… and help promote them. 

• Like 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have no problem with Beato at all. In fact, many of his video topics and views are like discussions I’ve had with musician buddies all my life. Some I can disagree with, some I learn from. All the more power to him, I say, and if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. 

• Like 4

Here for the gear.

🥱

Pwned!

Just forget about the music, all you need is to be a social media clown!

"What’s his advice for someone who wants to be a successful musician today?

“The ability to promote yourself on social media is pretty crucial,” he says. “You need to have a social media presence and be good at making videos with short form content to promote your brand and yourself as an artist.”"

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/25/us/rick-beato-youtube-everything-music-cec/index.html

• Confused 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

21 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

"What’s his advice for someone who wants to be a successful musician today?

“The ability to promote yourself on social media is pretty crucial,” he says. “You need to have a social media presence and be good at making videos with short form content to promote your brand and yourself as an artist.”"

Well, I don't really think about Rick Beato one way or the other. But it's not his fault that the above is true. Musicianship is only part of being a musician these days. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

"His interviews with musical titans such as Seal and Pat Metheny have become so highly regarded that iconic artists such as Sting contact him with requests to appear on his show."  

• Like 2
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, HammondDave said:

"His interviews with musical titans such as Seal and Pat Metheny have become so highly regarded that iconic artists such as Sting contact him with requests to appear on his show."  

Exactly my point... Famous for being "famous"...

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

As my father used to say, "You can't argue with success." 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

He didn't achieve fame for nothing.  He has produced a good show and it's quite educational for many people, myself included.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Adan said:

The egalitarian in me has kind of a strong adverse reaction to this, which is to say, it makes me want to look for people other than Beato who do this stuff and should be getting more the pie.

Bob Lefsetz's podcasts are excellent. A lot of times he interviews people you haven't heard of, but are huge behind-the-scenes players in the music industry. They have some fascinating insights. And from time to time you run across an unexpected gem, like his interview with Paul Anka. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adan said:

Finally, a thread where we can discuss Beato without being distracted by lesser lights such as the Beatles, Taylor Swift, etc.

Wait, I think I just said Beato is "bigger" than the Beatles. Ironies run rampant!

On a more serious note, I have difficulty with the concept that I am somehow "supporting" music by clicking on YouTube videos. I go out to see live music whenver I can (which, sadly, is much less than before I had kids). That, to me, is the purest and most satisfying way to keep music alive in this troubled world. I believe in it, and I do it. By contrast, when I click on a YouTube video, the poster of that video gets fraction of the money that advertisers are paying to YouTube.  That's 2 intermediaries between me and the musician, and one of them is, for all I know, some product I have no desire to promote or support. I'll click if I want to click, but the idea of clicking just as a show of support is lost on me.

Second non-smartass point: I have no serious problems with Beato: he's good, he's fine, he's not heavy, he's my brother, etc.  But I also don't think he invented music analysis, music interviews, or anything else. He's a guy who does it all reasonably well and who happens to have found a way to blow himself up on the internet. The egalitarian in me has kind of a strong adverse reaction to this, which is to say, it makes me want to look for people other than Beato who do this stuff and should be getting more the pie. So when I hear someone say "we've got to stand up for Beato!" my first reaction is "no, actually, he seems to be doing ok as it is. Let's talk about someone else who needs our support more."

We all have different taste, too much focus on Beato for my preferences. If you enjoy music more than sensations mirroring sunshine on the host, check Nahre Sol and Pianote, great channels around keyboard/piano, both educating and interesting topics.

• Like 4

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

No.  I don't know him.  Never heard of him outside of YouTube, but he did evidently work with Shinedown so he must be okay.  His videos are fun.  But I never heard of him.  Which is cool.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know it's a radical statement, but I'm just saying maybe we don't need a new KC thread every time he releases a new video or someone comes across an old one they like? Maybe one master thread that is updated when someone has a new vid to share?

We can call it Masterbeato. That super-funny and in no way immature thread title works both for people who like what he's doing and for people he rubs the wrong way. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

www.joshweinstein.com

Create a Beato sub forum and invite him to visit.  He may show up ... if everyone is polite.

• Like 2
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

We can call it Masterbeato. That super-funny and in no way immature thread title works both for people who like what he's doing and for people he rubs the wrong way. 

Can we throw in all the Behringer lament threads and comments in there too while we're at it and call it a day?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

5 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Oh man, that's so not fair. 

I'd been following his content for years, out of interest and because it was good content

Then, at some point, he started doing interviews — I think the first one I saw was with Seal, who added a first-hand creation narrative to his (really nice) analysis of "Kiss From a Rose" via a Zoom call. This was a super-special "a friend of a friend got me the contact, and HOLY HELL Seal actually called back!!" event, to my recollection.
Then, following that, he suddenly had all manner of HUGE stars from the 80s and 90s, while he kept producing the stuff I'd originally started watching him for. 

And the interviews are GREAT. Fawning adulation, sure, where appropriate, but it's always a musician interviewing musicians. I hadn't got that perspective anywhere on YT before; that kind of in-depth expertise talk is really a legacy of the magazine era, ported to the new medium. 

This guy deserves all the attention he gets — he's worked super hard for it, for YEARS, and he's always done a hell of a job, even if I don't agree with everything he says. 

• Like 4

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

20 minutes ago, analogika said:

Oh man, that's so not fair. 

I'd been following his content for years, out of interest and because it was good content

Then, at some point, he started doing interviews — I think the first one I saw was with Seal, who added a first-hand creation narrative to his (really nice) analysis of "Kiss From a Rose" via a Zoom call. This was a super-special "a friend of a friend got me the contact, and HOLY HELL Seal actually called back!!" event, to my recollection.
Then, following that, he suddenly had all manner of HUGE stars from the 80s and 90s, while he kept producing the stuff I'd originally started watching him for. 

And the interviews are GREAT. Fawning adulation, sure, where appropriate, but it's always a musician interviewing musicians. I hadn't got that perspective anywhere on YT before; that kind of in-depth expertise talk is really a legacy of the magazine era, ported to the new medium. 

This guy deserves all the attention he gets — he's worked super hard for it, for YEARS, and he's always done a hell of a job, even if I don't agree with everything he says. 

Way too much entitlement and ego and the recurring judgement and bashing of the generations younger than himself is clearly an attitude of "I'm right, everybody who's not with me is wrong", too toxic for my appreciation.

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The Brits and Aussies spell that "ah" sound as "ar," as in "arse." Beato did a whole video about it, I'll try to find it. 

I mean, I assume he did, playing the odds. 

• Thanks 1

www.joshweinstein.com

7 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Way too much entitlement and ego and the recurring judgement and bashing of the generations younger than himself is clearly an attitude of "I'm right, everybody who's not with me is wrong", too toxic for my appreciation.

It's a factor of opinions that they are just that. I've seen enough moments where he was blown away by something current and gave credit where credit was due. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

15 hours ago, CEB said:

Create a Beato sub forum and invite him to visit.  He may show up ... if everyone is polite.

I saw him in a pub in Manhattan and invited him to join us, which he did. We had some interesting conversation. Nice guy, knowledgeable about music, having success on his YouTube channel. Turns out we have some mutual friends / acquaintances. I’m not a hardcore fan and just watch the episodes that interest me. I’m the guy sitting next to him in this pic. Everyone was polite 😁

image.jpeg

• Like 7