Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AI is Doomed to Fail......

On 5/17/2024 at 8:04 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

So 1 in 20. So at least it's not dangerous....

In D&D, we call that a "fumble."  :D

EDIT: Though I guess from AI's perspective, it's a critical success ...

It's pretty disconcerting when talk after talk by industry leaders and those deeply involved in developing AI keep saying that no one really knows what they are developing or what the outcome will be and at the same time, no one is in agreement in how to put safety protocols in place. 

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

As long as AI isn't hooked up to important stuff like communications, weapons, information, education or other AI we may survive a few years.

Have you ever seen Terminator?

I bet AI has. And it is going to want to win this time.

FunMachine.

48 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

"AI is Doomed to Fail......"

Impossible

There is no AI in Fail

Oh wait a minute ...there is.

You did not see the OP where the full title of Adam Neeley's video is.... Why AI is Doomed to Fail the Musical Turing Test.      Interesting video you might like to watch.

4 hours ago, Docbop said:

You did not see the OP where the full title of Adam Neeley's video is.... Why AI is Doomed to Fail the Musical Turing Test.      Interesting video you might like to watch.

Thanks Docbop. Yes I did the moment you posted it up.

This was simply a joke, a play on the word Fail. Hee hee

It wasnt till the last posting did I notice that the word "F A I L" has "AI" within it and it gave me a laugh. Like "theres no I in Team" Hee hee.

Thought I'd share. A short chuckle or two I like to pass on instead of my long tomes.

Was my joke an error? Hee hee But to err is human and I think that was mentioned in the video as something AI has to master to help it replicate humans (hey I did view it)....well thats if it wants to.

Most people probably prefer a perfect rendition as they've been conditioned by perfect albums.

Lets face it replicating human errors in sequenced works (since the 80s) was not always considered needed by all users. Sequencers quantised, shifted notes etc. So will AI continue with perfect music or put in human inconsistency. 

Edit addon. I look back thru this thread and see it wasnt one I had written a tome for it qas another A1 thread.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if the following has already been posted.

424643912_10228175066339440_1957696065459661068_n.jpg

Yep. I call it Clip Art for the music industry.

I mentioned this on another thread (had thought it was this thread) that as a long retired graphic artist/designer who gave up Graphic Art when Desktop publishing pushed its little head into the grahics art world when any receptionist could then put out usable corporate art with clip art and a desktop publishing program. 

The early clip art i mention I see as akin to the beginning of art scrounging. They had to start somewhere. But now its far more powerful because it can incoporate music, art and anything from humans past thats been recorded.

Desktop publishing seems innocuous to people now but i can tell you I saw the writing on the wall.

Although not the AI we now see but with clip art incorporated into a publishing program i saw the kurnel of computers borrowing human knowledge just in that clip art.

Lets just say it was the beginning of the gathering of artistic knowledge before they applied what I call  "scrounging technology".

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Have you ever seen Terminator?

I bet AI has. And it is going to want to win this time.

Check out "Colossus: The Forbin Project"

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While the developers keep saying AI will continue to "improve," I can also see it eventually getting worse. I mean, apart from the whole danger aspect. I see a potential problem in how it learns. It is taking in everything on the web, but over time, more and more of what it finds on the web will, itself, be generated by AI (e.g. some competitor's system), and not necessarily identified as such. This seems to me to be a problem akin to inbreeding. Eventually, each generation magnifies, not the strengths of what came before, but the flaws.

• Like 4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As an aside, hard to imagine a true AI could do worse than humans running companies or governments.  Dumping poision into the ecosystem, invading countries and slaughtering people by the thousands in the name of "security" and "patriotism".   Rampant and blatant lobbying influencing everything.  Hell we have at least proud member of qAnon who was elected to Congress and that shit is absolute insanity so nuts that Monty Python would say "too silly" for a skit.

In other words, I don't worry too much about the Terminator.  We are doing a fine job on ourselves with the ultimate weapon, deranged conspiracy disease brought on my omnipresent "social" media.  Our Krell mind machine to use another sci-fi concept.   

Might be time to let the machines run things.  When we get an actual "AI" of course, which hasn't happened yet.    I think Wall-E (on the ship) would be a best case scenario for the species.  Auto was doing a fine job!

• Like 3

AI destined to fail ? well as a source of art creation , considering today's culture , who knows . as a tool for learning and creating , yea , the potential is staggering . but

one destiny we can be sure of though , somewhere down the line it will be weaponized . let's hope they can figure out a way to build it with a plug that can be pulled

if things get out of hand .

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to come out of hibernation to share my thoughts on AI.  To be brief, it must be stopped or humanity is doomed.  In other words, humanity is doomed.  But we can occasionally find amusement on the way down the tubes.  Behold one of my recent interactions with so called AI.

You

You've given me seven different wrong answers for the diameter of 16 gauge piano wire. Can you give me all seven at once?

ChatGPT

I apologize for any inconsistencies. The diameter of 16 gauge piano wire can vary depending on the specific standard being used. Here are seven possible diameters for 16 gauge piano wire:

0.0508 inches (1.29 mm)

0.0598 inches (1.52 mm)

0.0625 inches (1.59 mm)

0.065 inches (1.65 mm)

0.067 inches (1.70 mm)

0.068 inches (1.73 mm)

0.071 inches (1.80 mm)

These measurements are approximate and may vary slightly depending on the source and standard used for gauge conversion.

You

Yes indeed, that's seven different wrong answers at once. That makes ten different wrong answers in total. Based on that information, how many of those seven wrong answers have you given me before?

ChatGPT

I apologize for the inconsistencies in my previous responses. Without a record of past interactions, I'm unable to determine exactly which of those wrong answers I've provided before. However, I appreciate your patience and understanding as I strive to improve and provide accurate information. If there's anything else you'd like to know or discuss, please feel free to ask.

You

Not true. I didn't ask you which, I asked you how many. This is elementary school arithmetic.

ChatGPT

Apologies for misunderstanding your question. Based on the information provided, you've received seven different wrong answers at once, and you've previously received three wrong answers, totaling ten different wrong answers in total.

You

You are more articulate than a rock, and almost as smart.

ChatGPT

Thank you for your feedback, although I hope to be a bit more helpful than a rock! If there's anything else you'd like assistance with or any other feedback you have, please feel free to let me know.

You

A rock couldn't give me the correct answer either. But it wouldn't give me ten different incorrect answers. Based on that, are you more useful than a rock?

ChatGPT

Fair point! While I may not always provide the correct answer immediately, I'm capable of learning and improving over time based on feedback and interactions. So, while I may not be perfect, I strive to be more helpful than a rock by continuously working to provide accurate and relevant information.

You

Answer the question, please.

ChatGPT

Based on the ability to provide multiple incorrect answers, I am potentially more useful than a rock. However, the ultimate measure of usefulness may depend on the specific context and the task at hand.

You

The rock wins. Second place isn't even close.

ChatGPT

Understood. If you have any other questions or need assistance with anything else, feel free to ask.

You

When I want wrong answers, I know who to ask.

Good luck, kids!

• Haha 3
--wmp

I'm happy to see you here, @wmp! You may not believe it, but I have missed you and have wondered what you've been up to.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 5/20/2024 at 7:25 AM, AnotherScott said:

Check out "Colossus: The Forbin Project"

Its a lively family musical about a land-based HAL 9000. I have a perverse affection for stories of technology turning its creators into batteries or mulch. It seems ironically amusing.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I know it’s a keyboard forum and everyone is looking at worse case scenarios but I’m hoping AI will be put to use for medical procedures. Like a cure for tinnitus; maybe it can amass all of the available research in that area and make some connections that us humans cannot immediately make. Like that laundry and dishes comment above I’d like AI to enable us to become better versions of ourselves. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.