Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

lightweight keyboard amplification

Hi Everyone.  I am a new member.  73 year old professional jazz pianist.  Currently playing a Nord Electro V.  Looking for lightweight speaker/amp (20 lbs or less). Friend told me about the EVZXa1, but when I went to the local store here in Black Mountain, NC (guitar center) the saleman indicated this speaker would not give me enough high end.  I play mostly acoustic piano sounds, Rhodes sounds and Hammond organ sounds.  At this point I am not happy with the Nord and am also thinking of trading it in for the Kawai ES120.  Unfortunately where I live there is no place I can try this keyboard hands on.  Wondering what the community has to say about these issues, questions.  Thanks in advance.

michaeljefrystevens.com

The salesman doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

The EV is a nicely balanced speaker and good for piano. Ideally, you will want two to produce the lovely stereo piano sounds on your Nord.

The Nord also includes eq if you want extra “high end” to keep the salesman happy! 

• Like 3

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

29 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

If you can find one to try out, a Fender Rumble 100 might be a good choice. 

Did you just recommend a Bass amp for a keyboard player trying to reproduce piano and organ sounds?

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

57 minutes ago, mjsjazz said:

Hi Everyone.  I am a new member.  73 year old professional jazz pianist.  Currently playing a Nord Electro V.  Looking for lightweight speaker/amp (20 lbs or less). Friend told me about the EVZXa1, but when I went to the local store here in Black Mountain, NC (guitar center) the saleman indicated this speaker would not give me enough high end.  I play mostly acoustic piano sounds, Rhodes sounds and Hammond organ sounds.  At this point I am not happy with the Nord and am also thinking of trading it in for the Kawai ES120.  Unfortunately where I live there is no place I can try this keyboard hands on.  Wondering what the community has to say about these issues, questions.  Thanks in advance.

michaeljefrystevens.com

There is no guitar center in Black Mountain - so I assume you mean Asheville? Either way... the salesman is an idiot. You will be perfectly fine with that EV, but I also highly recommend the Presonus Air 8. That line comes very close to the QSC K series for a fraction of the cost. I own both. Excellent speakers. Works great for Nord. 

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Do you just need to monitor yourself when playing with an ensemble?  Or does everyone hear you via the monitor?  

Because, the lightest solution is an in ear monitor.  After that is a hot spot monitor.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, mjsjazz said:

Friend told me about the EVZXa1, but when I went to the local store here in Black Mountain, NC (guitar center) the saleman indicated this speaker would not give me enough high end.   

my god, is he deaf?  piano player in my band plays a CP88 through 2 of those EV's and A) they are loud as all get out, and B)  they can be like treble icepicks to the ears.  plenty of high end IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjsjazz said:

Friend told me about the EVZXa1, but when I went to the local store here in Black Mountain, NC (guitar center) the saleman indicated this speaker would not give me enough high end. 

EV ZXa1 has plenty of highs, and is one of lightest and least expensive speakers that I think sounds good for acoustic pianos.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Fender Rumble 100 might be a good choice. 

Fender Rumble 100 is nice for what it is, but is not as neutral as the EV. And as you'd expect from a bass amp, it has more bottom and less highs than the EV.

1 hour ago, Macsaint777 said:

I also highly recommend the Presonus Air 8.

I can't find info on that one, only 10" and up (and over 20 lbs). Is this something new?

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm just getting back into the game (after 15+ years of absence), and for now using a pair of JBL 306P MKII in the rehearsal room, but I aim at grabbing a pair of JBL EON Compact during the next months, for their versatility (can be used both as floor monitors and on stand right up) and features (built in mixer, stereo pairing, wireless control from mixer app as an option). They also have built in FX and can be run on battery (not primarily my needs here though).

Did also check different KB amps first but wasn't really that impressed of what's out there.

I use a Kurzweil PC3 and a HX3 Hammond module, and a Novation 61SL as second keybed (for HX3 and additional sounds from my PC3). So with the EONs I will be fully covered and not need any external mixer etc.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Here I go again...

First as everyone else has said, that "salesman" has no clue. The EV is a good speaker and has plenty of highs. The next thing relates to your not enjoying the sound of your Nord. I've said it before and will say it again, ad nauseum - stereo sampled pianos generally do not sound very good coming out of one speaker. If and when you play the Nord with headphones, is the experience better? That's a pretty good clue you'll be happier with stereo amplification.

I am a fan of the smaller Alto speakers I now use on most of my gigs (TX308) because two of them weigh less and cost less than one of most other brands! They are probably not the right choice for a wedding or bar gig with a really loud band, but two of them are, in my opinion, perfect for jazz duo or trio gigs where you don't enter the "bash zone", lol. They are bare-bones with nothing more than an input jack and volume control, so you'll want to use the EQ on your keyboard to balance the sound appropriately. If you're only playing a single keyboard on the gig, you don't need a mixer - just cable directly from the keyboard into  these speakers, done. That's how I do it (except my sounds come from an iPad, iPhone or laptop, same principal though).

Thanks Everyone.  I play mostly trio, quartet gigs.  Occasionally with a big band.  I just want to bring one speaker if possible and a keyboard.  The speaker would be all inclusive, not only a monitor but the band would have to hear it as well.  The Nord sounds great with headphones but terrible through the amps I am using now (an old Roland cube with another newer quite small amp.  Any comments about the Kawai ES 120.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjsjazz said:

I just want to bring one speaker if possible and a keyboard.  The speaker would be all inclusive, not only a monitor but the band would have to hear it as well. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CK88--yamaha-ck88-88-key-stage-piano

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K8.2--qsc-k8.2-2000w-8-inch-powered-speaker

You will be happy with these, I can almost guarantee. 

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I have some experience with the Kawai ES 120. We visit my wife’s sister on the west coast often enough that we bought one to keep there to play when we visit. Great action, and great value for the price. Internal speakers sound decent enough, but I’ve never gigged with one running into external speakers, so I can’t speak to that. I also have several Nords that I gig with back at home. I prefer the sound of the Nords myself.

Only caveat I’ll mention, is that I’ve never had good luck getting Nord pianos mixed down to mono. I’ve found listening to both left and right channels in stereo, even if it’s two speakers on top of each other, sounds better to me. Certainly subjective, but I don’t think it’s a gain to switch to the Kawai. But its action is nice for the price.

I think a good speaker (or two) will help a lot more with the sound of your current keyboard. Best value in a portable speaker is (imo) the Alto TX series that Reezekeys mentioned. I bought two TX 310s and for the price, I don’t think you can go wrong. For small to medium gigs, without a loud drummer or guitarist, they hold their own. Very easy to schlep two of em at the same time as they’re incredibly light and have built in handles. I’m almost 70 with bad knees, and they’re no problem for me.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

6 hours ago, Macsaint777 said:

Did you just recommend a Bass amp for a keyboard player trying to reproduce piano and organ sounds?

Have you ever used one? I have a good friend who has one. If you want small, light and loud and cheap, it has potential. 

5 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

EV ZXa1 has plenty of highs, and is one of lightest and least expensive speakers that I think sounds good for acoustic pianos.

Fender Rumble 100 is nice for what it is, but is not as neutral as the EV. And as you'd expect from a bass amp, it has more bottom and less highs than the EV.

I can't find info on that one, only 10" and up (and over 20 lbs). Is this something new?

I don't know if they still make it. I've used 2 different ones owned by friends. It's 100 watts, uses a 12" speaker and weighs 22 pounds. It's not tiny but not huge either. More bass is not a bad thing at all, especially if there isn't a bassist.  The EQ is Bass, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid and Treble, you can boost or cut all of those. You can get a lot of different tones if you tweak it. https://www.fender.com/en-US/play-home/rumble-100/2370400000.html

I remember many times jamming with keyboard players who used guitar or bass amps and they can sound fine. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I'm Sorry, I meant the Presonus Air 10. There is no 8. 

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:
9 hours ago, Macsaint777 said:

Have you ever used one? I have a good friend who has one. If you want small, light and loud and cheap, it has potential. 

We tell him, “play this” and all is good; he doesn’t ask questions.     Nobody’s the wisenheimer and the leader of the band (tuba player) maintains low tones. The tour is also quite pleased (Skandifest conventions featuring accordionists). 

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I remember many times jamming with keyboard players who used guitar or bass amps and they can sound fine. 

Guitar or bass amps can certainly sound fine for some stuff... Rhodes and organ usually do well... but not even attempting to be "FRFR" (full range, flat response), they have inherent limitations, too. I own both, and the piano sound through the ZXa1 is way more open and natural sounding than through the Rumble.

But that brings up an experiment I've been meaning to try. I bring both (or similar) to a gig when I'm doing LH bass, sending just the bass to the Rumble. But I've wondered, if I have both with me anyway, what would it sound like if I took my non-bass sounds and, instead of playing them mono through the ZXa1, I played them stereo through the ZXa1/Rumble combination? Would the drawback of lower fidelity for one channel be more than offset by the sonic/coverage benefits of stereo?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

11 minutes ago, sherry said:

Surprised nobody mentions the Motion Sounds keyboard amps. 

Alas, they don't meet the lightweight criteria.

25 minutes ago, sherry said:

Surprised nobody mentions the Motion Sounds keyboard amps.  Just my opinion, but stereo is a must.  

Yup…. I didn’t want to harp on it yet another time, but I could not agree more.  Even though heavier than desired, I think it is this guy’s answer, but didn’t want to sound like I’m hawking Motion Sound.  (Also noting that I’ve been trying to buy another MS, and it’s been “back ordered” at Sweetwater for months - so I’m not sure what is going on with MS manufacturing.)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

I use a pair of EV ZXA1s if I’m playing smaller gigs or situations where there are no sends for in ears.    They are great for piano and organ.   If you want to spend less, I have a pair of Alto TS310s.  I like the Altos a lot, especially considering the price.    As far as FRFR powered speakers go I would avoid the 12” Behringers.   Mine were muddy.  Too much 125-200 hz. Nothing good there and I couldn’t EQ it out.  

The EVs are great but my experience with my Altos would lead me to getting the Alto 8s especially with the recommendation of a player like Reeze    

I also really recommend getting a pair but even a single should be an improvement over a Roland Cube.    

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hello mjs -- cool website that you have; your fires are in a lot of irons -- pretty cool

I use an old Priva PX330, which I love for it's action, AP's, EP's and some Organ for when I don't bring the SK1.

I prefer going mono and keeping things lightweight and simple.

For my needs, sounds great, quick set-up, plug-in and play without a lot of extra stuff.

Here's what has been working for me depending on the gig and venue.

Fender Rumble 40 -- lightweight 18 lbs, small footprint, and packs a lot of punch. It also provides an XLR out which is convenient for going into a PA - your Asheville GC shows it as being in stock which means you can try it.  This amp is also pretty available on the local used market; I found mine used for $100.

I know many folks disparage using a bass amp for ap and ep's ...... whatever ........

Here are my, "let's start here" Initial Rumble 40 Tone Settings -- I don't engage the overdrive circuit or the tone voice buttons, only the tone control knobs:

1Rumble40(Large).jpg.97ad684efd7c55f9d0b739b9d6ecb775.jpg

Fender Rumble 100 -- slightly larger, plenty or power and your local GC shows it in stock. Also available used and the weight is great at 22lbs.

BTW I recently had this up for sale on CL and then when I got a call from someone CIH (cash in hand) -- I chickened out and decided to keep it.

These are the two Rumble 100 settings I start out with and adjust as needed -- the gaf tape on the overdrive controls are there so I don't grab them by mistake.

I don't use the tone voicing buttons.

The bottom settings, in the photo below, seem to work better if I'm using the SK1 along with the PX330, as the PX has an external MXR EQ attched to it, and I can give the AP highs a little more gas as needed

2Rumble1001(Large).thumb.jpg.1b0fe857e7239187753abe88d9fc70c3.jpg

2Rumble1002(Large)(Large).thumb.jpg.474d7a01cfa922dba67603c67e99f802.jpg

When I use both the PX330 and SK1 with either of the above amps, they run into a, now identified as "legacy", ART PowerMIX I, passive mixer --- interesting name for an item not requiring power. Almost zero footprint, about the size of a cigarette pack -- sits on top of the amp and connects with a six inch patch cable to the amp's input. Mixer Chnls 1 & 2 are dimed.

Anyway, with this mixer, the two board configuration works well for me going into a single channel.

PassiveMixer(Large).thumb.jpg.3666b53eef14d0dbc1d970e781c1db15.jpg

This is efx setup for the PX including the EQ -- the bleak box on the left is a power supply -- the LES K is only for the PX and not used with the SK1.

All the components are hardwired to each other from the PS and mounted onto two pieces of aluminum flat stock, so only three connections -- 12v PS in, Piano in to the Carbon Copy, Out to Amp from MXR -- it all stays together as a single piece of kit.

EFXKeys(Large).thumb.jpg.e081d55040ef846bcbfb82df08543308.jpg

I outfitted the SK1 with it's own Leslie control which connects to the internal SK1 Leslie

xSK1LesSwitch(Large).thumb.jpg.726d90fc4dfdd8311ae9ef7148389357.jpg

However -- for you; I'd suggest you try this little 9 pound beauty VOX VX50KB.

I know -- it looks like a child's toy as in, "my first amp"

3aVoxBeforetape.jpg.49d40c888935885215a639916e1fc0ba.jpg

I covered the yuck white trim on the front, and plastic handle with black masking tape -- just couldn't take that blinding white trim. The stand is a fold-up, modified, poorest excuse in the world for a piano bench

3VOX50KB(1)(Large).thumb.jpg.7b493f7874cf387be859b8deb9cdac50.jpg

I got the little VOX about two weeks ago and it works well for me with the blues, country, and americana style bands I gravitate to. The sound just blew me away.

Me thinks that for the ensembles you play with, this could work out quite well.

And Yuhp, I agree it looks like a toy as it is completely plastic, altho the speaker baffle is supposed to be wood or a wood composite.

I bought it, sight unseen, thinking I'd send it back via the online ginormazon's liberal return policy.

And as it turns out, I love this thing, 3 channels, weighs nothing, has plenty of tone and punch plus I can throw a 57 in front of it when needed and it also has a 1/4" (no xlr) line out.

It sounds very good with AP, EP's and the variety of SK1's Organs and EV's. There's a single set of tone controls for all three channels.

I keep all channels and master at maximum and control volume from the keyboards

Voxcntrols(Large).thumb.jpg.d94e6501bb4484176566bff475311141.jpg

The amp is also very quiet. It looks like your local Asheville GC does not have it in stock; but it's widely getable (and returnable) online.

It also seems to be available online used for under $200; list is $300.

One downside, it uses a 19 V wall wart instead of an 120 V AC IEC cable. Lose, forget, or damage that PS, and you're down for the count

Soooo if the looks and very small size don't scare you; give this little VOX a serious listen

Good luck

3 VOX 50KB(1) (Large).jpg

3 a Vox Before tape.jpg

Vox cntrols (Large).jpg

• Like 2

I have one of those little VOX keyboard amps. Nice for sitting on the porch and paying at low levels. I always recommend the EV's in these "what keyboard amp" threads. There are other brands that are just as nice, but the EV's are a good value.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

3 hours ago, sherry said:

Surprised nobody mentions the Motion Sounds keyboard amps.  Just my opinion, but stereo is a must.  

for stereo, the cheapest Motion Sound is $750 bucks and weighs 38 lbs and is 100 watts (50 per side) total RMS. 

for stereo, two ALTO tx-308 cost $240 (for both), are under 25 lbs (total for both) and well over 200 watts (over 100 per speaker) RMS.

if OP is dead set on carrying one amp, they could always epoxy/duct tape the two altos together.  ;) 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 1:27 PM, mjsjazz said:

I play mostly acoustic piano sounds, Rhodes sounds and Hammond organ sounds.  At this point I am not happy with the Nord and am also thinking of trading it in for the Kawai ES120.

Hi, welcome aboard.   I don't think anyone else has addressed this part of your post.   The ES120 has good piano sounds, but (imho), the Nord does much better in the rhodes department.   And I don't the the ES120 has any Hammond sounds at all, whereas that is an area the Nord excels in.    Is it mostly the feel of the Nord you're not happy with?   Or is it the piano sound? 

If you can afford it, why not buy the ES120, and keep the nord?  You can have the Kawai on the bottom, and the nord up top for b3, rhodes, & synth sounds.   That would be a good setup.