Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any of you have this problem?

When I was choosing an instrument to learn as a kid, a wise old man told me to pick the piano (especially classical piano, preferably playing Schumann) and pretend I’m in a relationship. That would make girls want me so much. 

• Haha 1

That article is a great example of the pitfalls of fame and celebrity. 

Another example of human greed, ignorance and stupidity.😁

The fact that an industry would put image and money over young folks having happy endings is just plain selfish.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

That article is a great example of the pitfalls of fame and celebrity. 

Another example of human greed, ignorance and stupidity.😁

The fact that an industry would put image and money over young folks having happy endings is just plain selfish.🤣😎

"You really don’t want to be famous.
   Read the biography of any famous person."
      ~ Kevin Kelly

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Sigh... The only one performing Foreplay on my organ -- is me....................

Old No7

• Haha 5

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

21 hours ago, TommyRude said:

I’ve had this problem a few times.  I’d announce I was dating, and immediately there would be an outcry from my millions of keyboardist loving groupies.

Dating announcement backlash

If I announced I was dating, I suspect the biggest outcry would be from my wife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

18 hours ago, David Emm said:

"You really don’t want to be famous.
   Read the biography of any famous person."
      ~ Kevin Kelly

Dialog from Deep Impact  - school rally scene, entire town is present to hear from teen Leo Biederman about his discovery of the comet.  Leo and a teacher are on stage, taking questions from the audience:

Kid in audience:  "You know, you're gonna have sex a lot more now than anyone else in our class."

Teacher:  "Don't listen. Don't."

Leo Biederman: "Really?"

Teacher:  "Thank you for your sexual insight, Mr Thurman. You can sit down now."

Kid in audience:  "Famous people always get sex, Mr Perry.  That's the main reason it's good to be famous!"

Rally audience erupts in applause

• Haha 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I don’t even like fame on the local level. People who I don’t know coming up to me in department stores and doctors offices etc saying ‘I know you, you play piano’.   It feels weird.  … seriously.  I’m not not cut out for the fame thing.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Dialog from Deep Impact  - school rally scene, entire town is present to hear from teen Leo Biederman about his discovery of the comet.  Leo and a teacher are on stage, taking questions from the audience:

Kid in audience:  "You know, you're gonna have sex a lot more now than anyone else in our class."

Teacher:  "Don't listen. Don't."

Leo Biederman: "Really?"

Teacher:  "Thank you for your sexual insight, Mr Thurman. You can sit down now."

Kid in audience:  "Famous people always get sex, Mr Perry.  That's the main reason it's good to be famous!"

Rally audience erupts in applause

I really enjoyed "Deep Impact." While it obviously plays a certain melodramatic tune (cue the violins), it also behaves like an adult, relative to actual science. You can peck at the details, but overall, I appreciated the basic maturity of the narrative flow. They got all too much right about human nature. 

As to the quote, I do take your point. Doug Stanhope once said "When you have a certain amount of fame, you can f**k above your natural weight class." You can also feel nostalgic when you have a herpes flareup. :rolleyes: If you can walk a sane line between wanting attention and handling excessive fans, you're on the right mark.   

Still, fame has a wearing effect. If you don't keep your internal gyroscope healthy, it can sneak up and grab you from behind like Krampus. 😬

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I don’t know why this thread reminds me of another one where someone had his Nord malfunctioning due to bad power and had to pretend he was playing while actually the Nord was turned off during the entire gig and was then congratulated for his great playing by some hot lady. 

• Haha 1

yes.... this brings back the memories of when Greta Garbo and I  ended our engagement in the late 1950s.... a quite severe backlash absolutely!   A consolation is that today shes doing extremely well singing and playing bass/ keyboards for her band Greta Van Fleet........all's well that ends well.......

5 hours ago, TommyS said:

yes.... this brings back the memories of when Greta Garbo and I  ended our engagement in the late 1950s.... a quite severe backlash absolutely!   A consolation is that today shes doing extremely well singing and playing bass/ keyboards for her band Greta Van Fleet........all's well that ends well.......

Is your band Tommy McArmada still going?

Cheers, Mike.

Idol/celebrity culture is just different in Korea.  Much of the same in Japan.  

I'm not a celebrity in Japan or Korea - maybe the OP is? - so I'll never have this problem.  Same for fellow residents of the US of A.  As long as you're in the US, doesn't matter how famous you get - you won't have the same level of expectations as in those other countries.

Taylor Swift annoyed some NFL fans and sportcasters with her latest choice of boyfriend but doesn't face the same backlash she would have faced as a 20-something Japanese or Korean idol singer.  Here in the USA we're content to complain about how Tay Tay takes up so much screen time during NFL games - we don't go so far as to demand a formal apology to the public for choosing to date a star NFL player.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, CyberGene said:

I don’t know why this thread reminds me of another one where someone had his Nord malfunctioning due to bad power and had to pretend he was playing while actually the Nord was turned off during the entire gig and was then congratulated for his great playing by some hot lady. 

I had someone at a recent gig stop me after a set and tell me how awesome I did on drums.  I of course was playing only keyboards that set.

I have been tempted to turn off my keyboard and see if either the band or the audience notices.  Probably yes on the first though it might not be noticed for a few songs depending on what they were.  Almost certainly no on the second speaking collectively.  It is what it is, playing in a classic rock band! :)  A saving grace is that when I don't sing harmonies (and I do some lead) then the singer immediately notices.   I stopped singing at one gig because our bass player got way too enthusiastic and was singing my part (sort of) on every song.   Singer kept giving me the eye, but hey--most songs don't need Disney-esque four-part harmony so I didn't just find a new lane :)   And two singers doing almost the same part?  Gross.   Singer talked to to the bass player after that gig and things settled down.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Fairly sure I've posted this before, but one of the most quotable things I've heard personally was said by Roger Powell: "Screw rich and famous. I want to be rich and anonymous."

The Korean/Japanese pop idol image thing has long struck me as deeply dysfunctional. I believe there are often contractual obligations re: publicly having a relationship. I expect most top celebrities the world over have some aspect of management/PR involvement in their personal life.

-Z-

Nobody is interested in a person that seems needy or "is on the outlook for something", independence is as a strength, and the biggest aphrodisiac you have is to not show any interest, and to not become a total bubblegum as soon as you get some attention...

Lay low, let them come to you, play it cool, and they will throw themselves in your arms in the end!

I just wish it worked the same with old keyboards, wouldn't mind a nice well kept beautiful Rhodes showing up on my doorstep wihtout too much effort... hehe!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 hour ago, Zalman Stern said:

Fairly sure I've posted this before, but one of the most quotable things I've heard personally was said by Roger Powell: "Screw rich and famous. I want to be rich and anonymous."

The Korean/Japanese pop idol image thing has long struck me as deeply dysfunctional. I believe there are often contractual obligations re: publicly having a relationship. I expect most top celebrities the world over have some aspect of management/PR involvement in their personal life.

-Z-

I've always said that about Bernard Taupin, he earns a pretty decent amount of Eltoh John's success, yet nobody has a clue (until Rocketman was released) about his existence, amazing situation, yes please!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro