Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When the forum algorithm censors you......

In responding to another thread, apparently a rather benign word I used was deemed a violation of forum/platform rules.  

image.png.d466e953eaf4c0da157c70762fef6437.png

According to Webster's dictionary:

image.png.f305833b95310687c4290f6a67bf7e42.png

Is this some kind of programming error, or do the geniuses in Silicon Valley assume I'm referencing Native Americans in some way?  (Which....I still fail to see why that word would be a violation of anything.)  Is this Google Gemini trying to protect us?  

• Annoyed 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow! 1

I wonder, what was the source of that violation notice?  Not musicplayer.com, surely?   You're in Massachusetts, right?   I wonder if it's some kind of state thing?   Quite curious about this.

It's quite troubling - Big Brother tapping you on the shoulder - "Uh, you can't use that word".    As you pointed out, the fact that they didn't interpret the context correctly shows that it was an unthinking algorithm.  AI at it's best 🙂

Ha!   I’ve never been censored and I’ve dropped several good hearted F-bombs in jest.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well son of a bitch.  😄. Ain’t that the shits.   

IMG_2562.png

And I say this without res********s.

EDIT (a few minutes later):

Well damn!   I had to try it myself, so I just posted the above sentence, with the word spelled out, and I got the notice too!     Very annoying!

Dave Bryce, does Musicplayer.com have some kind of list of forbidden words?   Or is this coming from somewhere else?

That's insane. 

I seriously hope the algorithm isn't being populated with misgivings, er, words that are off limits. 

Big Brother needs to either go get laid or f8ck itself. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 minute ago, ProfD said:

That's insane. 

I seriously hope the algorithm isn't being populated with misgivings, er, words that are off limits. 

Big Brother needs to either go get laid or f8ck itself. 😎

No need to self censor brother. You can say fuck.  Just don’t post the reserv@tions word. LOL 😃😃😃😃😂

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I wonder what other politically incorrect words also trigger this notice.

I was thinking the same.  Thus, I'll be inserting random words in all my posts henceforth. 

Stool

Endoscopy

Thermonuclear

Those are all good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stuff like this is going to be common going forward. More likely unintended consequences than deliberate censorship, but the mechanism is opaque and people will assume the worst. Hearings will be held, apologies offered, correction will be followed by over-correction. The future is grim.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Um, so plenty of indigenous people call the land allotted to them by the government (regardless of the injustice of that situation to begin with) by that name...well, some of my friends refer to it as "the rez", but that's about it. Maybe this varies by the state.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Skip the forums! Let´s get back to send letters by mail to each others, and curse away loudly!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

I am going to test some that I have gotten censored on other platforms, Facebook included.

*Ahem*.

Boarding pass (had to change that one to ticket).
Author Phillip K. Dick ("Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep").
Pacific Rim (location).
The weather in Hell, Michigan (usually pretty cold and not too hot).

Wish me luck!

Edited to say "Yay"!  My words passed here.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Dave Bryce, does Musicplayer.com have some kind of list of forbidden words?  

It does indeed.

The word “reservations” got added when we were being bombed a few years back by online travel brokers advertising discount rates.  I’m thinking we’re safe from that now, so I removed it from the filter. 😎

dB

• Like 7
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 6

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Welcome to America.  All you have to say is that something offends someone and the internet police are up your @ss.  Everyone gets dumbed down to the lowest common level.

It's what makes America great ....  🙄

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Once upon a time when I worked as a computer consultant I tried to email a report which contained the phrase “Cumulative Total”! I’m sure you will immediately see why it disallowed that.

• Haha 1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

Welcome to America.  All you have to say is that something offends someone and the internet police are up your @ss.  Everyone gets dumbed down to the lowest common level.

It's what makes America great ....  🙄

What's the context you're posting this in? You made this comment hours after a mod gave the reason why this word was censored.

Also, this forum isn't America.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

:yeahthat:

Y’all would probably be surprised to know how how hands off MPN’s admin is.  :duck:

As I’m fond of saying, the inmates truly do run the asylum here.  🙃

dB

• Like 4
  • Love 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

What's the context you're posting this in? You made this comment hours after a mod gave the reason why this word was censored.

The context is that people believe what they want to believe.

I personally believe this forum is a trojan horse for the Australians to take over the USA.  It starts innocently enough, with crowd-funded tours by Lachy Doley.  Next thing you know we're all eating vegemite and pretending to like it. Nothing you say can make me believe this isn't happening.

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

1 minute ago, Adan said:

I personally believe this forum is a trojan horse for the Australians to take over the USA.  It starts innocently enough, with crowd-funded tours by Lachy Doley.  Next thing you know we're all eating vegemite and pretending to like it. Nothing you say can make me believe this isn't happening.

Trying to understand the problem here?

Lachey for President

• Love 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud