Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When the forum algorithm censors you......

Having been “banned” several times from a forum named ge**s****, by very untethered moderators with massive meangirl energy, it is refreshing to be amongst folk who show respect to each rather than over the “words” we sling. Or the fun we spread…

i am an admittedly lovingly sarcastic person with, so far, a lifetime of  stories to share. But all seriousness aside

PEACE
_
_
_

• Like 2

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

Another KC thread turned hilarious.🤣

Great work gang.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

I got dinged by humans here last year for referring to Wendy Carlos by the name on the original SOB album and birth certificate.   I didn't even know there was such a thing as "dead naming," which is apparently more heinous than dropping an F-bomb.

I had to look that up.  I never knew Wendy was born Walter and transitioned.  But I imagine it wasn't quite so public back then.

• Like 1

I have such a huge respect for Wendy Carlos that I will call her any way she likes. Even if you don’t agree with transgender transitions, you can think of that name as an artistic pseudonym and you can call her by that name out of respect for her artistry. 

On the other hand, what a sick person would report you for using the name she used on the album before her gender transition. You might not have known that she changed gender 🤦🏻‍♂️ We live in a funny world 😞

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ABECK said:

I had to look that up.  I never knew Wendy was born Walter and transitioned.  But I imagine it wasn't quite so public back then.

Only in so far as, very very few peoples lives were public back then... As a student of classical music, with a bent for synths and having albums of theirs published as Walter, this was front and center for many of us. By any other name, it's her life, and a true pioneer of the time...

Lamenting the days of calling someone's house, letting it ring  four or five times, just hanging up if nobody answered and being ok with that!!! I often wondered as a kid how it must have felt to live and be a child at the turn of the 18 to 19 hundreds, only to not fully grasp that I was headed towards the same. The changes we have collectively experienced and the pace at which we "augment" our realities is not to be ignored.

ww.thumb.jpg.a39093ebc30c46cd70e72693c6f6ea39.jpg

PEACE

_

_

_

"Deadnaming" isn't referring to someone as a name they went by at a particular time--e.g., "Caitlyn Jenner first came into the public eye as the Olympic decathlete Bruce Jenner." It's intentionally continuing to call them that in contexts that occur after they have transitioned and told you their preferred name, as some sort of refusal or power move. "Bruce Jenner can call himself whatever he wants, he's still just a dude in a dress as far as I'm concerned." A couple of my closest musical friends (a couple) took in her nephew after that nephew's family refused to call him by his transitioned name. He tried to kill himself, and knew that the only option was to move out of his home and in with anyone who would accept him. It might be a newer concept for some of us, but that's neither here nor there, right? It's pretty easy just to call someone by the name they introduce themselves as. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Love 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

If someone feels uncomfortable in their biological sex, I’m OK with them asking for a surgical change, new name, pronouns, whatever. I know a very intelligent and talented musician who went through that. However, I really hope medicine will advance enough to be able to fix the root cause for these people, so they won’t have to go through what seems like a pretty brute force solution of hormonal therapy and risky surgery. Maybe there’s something small that determines whether we feel right about our biological gender and scientists haven’t yet discovered it. But until then I really feel for these people 😕

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

However, I really hope medicine will advance enough to be able to fix the root cause for these people...

First, there is no reason to medicate a person for how they choose to identify and/or live. 

From a medicinal perspective, acceptance and non-mistreatment will suffice.

There is no cure for cancer and a number of diseases.  Neither is there a cure for stupidity and ignorance. 

I wouldn't bet money that medicine will advance to the point of fixing human behavior.😎

• Like 4

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I’m not familiar with that matter and we are already walking on eggshells. But I think some people are unfortunate to be born with something that makes them feel they are of the opposite sex to their biological one. As I said, I know one such guy and AFAIK he felt like that his entire life, it was not a sudden change of moods. Which makes me think it’s rather a condition that might be reversible. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Which makes me think it’s rather a condition that might be reversible. 

It is SO complicated. Even if we do nothing but look strictly at the biology, there are  actually a ton of possible biological conditions that can lead to ambiguity between one's maleness or femaleness. This is a good video. It's worth watching the whole thing, because every time you think, "oh, okay, that's one more variable, I got it," it turns out there's still more again!

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It is SO complicated. Even if we do nothing but look strictly at the biology, there are  actually a ton of possible biological conditions that can lead to ambiguity between one's maleness or femaleness. This is a good video... 

That’s very interesting, thanks. Seems it might be genetic after all. With so many things to get wrong in all these genes (I am myself color blind, for instance. And my daughter has one FMF variant, out of minimum two required to be diagnosed with full FMF, but still leads to a condition called PFAPA which is luckily only a childhood thing), it’s wonder we’re all still kind of alive and in mostly working condition 😀 Apparently biological gender is also something that might be dependent on multitude of genes and things can go wrong on so many levels, not just one. We should indeed be more tolerant towards people, towards all of us. And hopefully gene therapy can improve our lives. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mcgoo said:

This thread has veered from concerning, to fricking hilarious, to uncomfortably close to getting shut down, or at least so it seems. Here's to hoping we can keep things from getting out of hand. 

yeah wont be long now, although as i continue to refer to the subject line of this thread before i type, i would say we’ve done a pretty decent job at integrating music somewhere in this thread…

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 2

The transpose feature should never be used on a gig.🤣

Let's see if that 1) brings us back on topic and) passes the censor and 3) stays within forum rules.😁😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PD

I’m not familiar with that matter and we are already walking on eggshells. But I think some people are unfortunate to be born with something that makes them feel they are of the opposite sex to their biological one. As I said, I know one such guy and AFAIK he felt like that his entire life, it was not a sudden change of moods. Which makes me think it’s rather a condition that might be reversible. 

Yeah, it makes sense that a less extreme fix for gender dysphoria than hormone injections, social "gender transitioning", and surgery will come along. But there will still be people with autogynephilia, etc., for whom this is more voluntary.

By the way, it's not correct that there are more than two sexes. Sex is defined by gamete size, of which there are two, namely egg cells and spermies. So intersex conditions are not new sexes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The transpose feature should never be used on a gig.🤣

Let's see if that 1) brings us back on topic and) passes the censor and 3) stays within forum rules.😁😎

As long as you don't dead-key the original song. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

6 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

As long as you don't dead-key the original song. 

I hereby call for the immediate and total ban of Hal Leonard Real Books, with reparatory compensation paid to all.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, analogika said:

I dunno about "more heinous than saying 'fuck'" (which I don't mind), but it is profoundly disrespectful to the person concerned. 

That's because I respect the truth more than I respect people.

The alternative is to rewrite the historical record to suit current cultural fashion.  IMO, that's profoundly dangerous, and outweighs whatever offense results from "disrespect".

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I take a hard line approach and hope to have some chords cancelled rather than suspended in certain pieces.  

• Haha 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 minute ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I take a hard line approach and hope to have some chords cancelled rather than suspended.   

That would be so cool -- my group would think I never make mistakes.  Of course, my keyboard might go silent for minutes at a time.

-Tom Williams

Shell voicings might feel naked and afraid.😎

• Haha 1

PD

9 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

The #9 chord is gender non-conforming. 

How should we categorize 1-5 no third power chords that those funny guitar folk seem to like so much? 

-Tom Williams

21 minutes ago, Tom Williams said:

How should we categorize 1-5 no third power chords that those funny guitar folk seem to like so much? 

Those are way fun to play, especially with a healthy amount of crunch. :rocker:

I identify as a keyboard player and a guitar player and a bass player and a singer…but I don’t feel conflicted. ☺️

dB

• Haha 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

16 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Joe Rogan's Podcasts are now 100% Back on Youtube.   So now they are free again.  I heard something about a backlash happening.   2113

I sometimes think Rogan made a very good point, in fine form. Then he says something that should be in an X-rated anime about badgers on crank.:rolleyes:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Let’s stop diminishing chords and augment them instead!

Ken Nordine once referred to a chord as "a perverted 27th." I'd love to hear that applied to "Crimson & Clover."

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

2 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

That's because I respect the truth more than I respect people.

The alternative is to rewrite the historical record to suit current cultural fashion.  IMO, that's profoundly dangerous, and outweighs whatever offense results from "disrespect".

The truth is that other people's names are not your choice. 

• Like 6

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio