Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato goes mainstream

While Beato's interviews are enjoyable, I never found him a great "educator". Scrolling 10 pages through his YT videos, I don't see a single title hinting at anything "educational" that interests me.

I'm not being difficult, a short video from Matt Johnson often makes my day.

And my reaction to vast majority of Beato's "What Makes This Song Great" series has been a consistent "Who T F Said It's Great?"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've been trying to figure out why I even care enough to post several times in this thread. I've watched a few of his videos and decided that while interesting, it's just not a good use of my time. So fine, I don't have to watch. I'm certainly not trying to take down Beato, who is one of the better things happening in the overall landscape of musicians trying to make a buck on YouTube.

I think it's the same reaction I have whenever the mindless algorithms of social media platforms latch onto something good and blow it out of proportion. It's like our value system gets distorted and I feel the need to counteract that force. I have a similar reaction to Taylor Swift . . . yeah, she's good, but so are a lot of other women singer-songwriters. Yet I'm supposed to buy into the idea that Taylor is a hundred times better than these other very talented people. Let's lower her pedestal a bit and give other pop geniuses a bit more of our attention.

These thought processes always lead me back to Voltaire's admonition to "tend to your own garden." Becoming another cranky person screeching into the ceaseless winds of the internet is not going to make me happier.

That said, if Beato can interview Taylor, I probably will have to check it out.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

12 hours ago, Leroy C said:

I think these darn kids today just need to lean into sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll like I did at their age.  :)

We had Playboy, they have “AI Girlfriend”… So much for developing your creative imagination.

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 hours ago, HammondDave said:

We had Playboy, they have “AI Girlfriend”… So much for developing your creative imagination.

I haven’t heard about AI girlfriends and not sure what your point is but if we assume they’re a thing, then it takes more imagination to construct an AI girlfriend than just look at pictures of selected girls 😀

Speaking of which, I’m an X-er who’s been grown on thinking only Playboy girls are real girls 🤦🏻‍♂️ As much as I wouldn’t want to admit it, younger people are much more inclusive and tolerant towards people who don’t have magazine-perfect looks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AROIOS said:

While Beato's interviews are enjoyable, I never found him a great "educator". Scrolling 10 pages through his YT videos, I don't see a single title hinting at anything "educational" that interests me.

This reminds me when I traveled to the UK many years ago.  The locals said they wanted to take me out to a curry restaurant, as that’s a local tradition. We went, they handed me a fairly lengthy menu with many many items.  I’m turning the pages, I didn’t see anything that mentioned curry.  

I said to the local guys - “I don’t see any curry?"

Local guys - “It’s all curry"

• Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I've worked professionally in production and post production for 20+ years and know first hand how much time and energy it takes to build what Beato has built. I also know how few people actually have what it takes to build something that successful. He has worked his butt off on creating content that almost 4 million subscribers seem to find adds value to their lives and that ain't nothing. I don't watch any of his other content but really enjoy the conversations he has with his guests. Personally, I'm wishing the guy continued success.

• Like 3

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

2 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

I've worked professionally in production and post production for 20+ years and know first hand how much time and energy it takes to build what Beato has built. I also know how few people actually have what it takes to build something that successful. He has worked his butt off on creating content that almost 4 million subscribers seem to find adds value to their lives and that ain't nothing. I don't watch any of his other content but really enjoy the conversations he has with his guests. Personally, I'm wishing the guy continued success.

This!

I think Rick does an excellent job on his interviews, and as others have said, he really is a fan and a knowledgeable one a that. His earlier stuff was interesting and good, but he really has upped his game with the extended interviews.

The folks he interviews seem to really enjoy the process, and me as a viewer appreciate the hard work he clearly has put in. Really loved the Daniel Lanois, the Sting, and the recently discussed Michael Omartian. 

• Like 3

I don't think a single person who has said that the content is not for them, has implied anything negative about the craft or effort involved in it. That part is fact. The response to the result is opinion. Those two elements always co-exist, and are in no way contradictory or mutually negating. 

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

6 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I haven’t heard about AI girlfriends and not sure what your point is but if we assume they’re a thing, then it takes more imagination to construct an AI girlfriend than just look at pictures of selected girls 😀

Speaking of which, I’m an X-er who’s been grown on thinking only Playboy girls are real girls 🤦🏻‍♂️ As much as I wouldn’t want to admit it, younger people are much more inclusive and tolerant towards people who don’t have magazine-perfect looks. 

I really do not wish to go into details about this technology. Let's just say that it takes VERY little effort for the user to create the "Perfect AI Girlfriend".  In fact, many psychologists are saying that this technology will seriously affect young men and women's abilities to have meaningful relationships with real people.  Enough said... back to Beato. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

What caught me early on, with Beato, was that he spoke plainly, assumed his viewers were capable and were interested in broadening their musical landscape.  Nothing was dumbed down in terms of theory, modes, scales and history - he just put it out there.  I've been watching Beato since before he had one million subscribers and he's been and still is the internet's upside.

• Like 3

Steve Coscia

2 hours ago, nursers said:

Rick's just released his latest interview with his AI Girlfriend:

P.S. God I love Copeland's sense of humour, always have.

Thoroughly informative and entertaining   Mr. Jealous Gandhi with his 26 second attention span wont get to know that (their loss due to blind ignorance).

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

12 hours ago, Adan said:

I've been trying to figure out why I even care enough to post several times in this thread.

There are people on this thread who originally hijacked the Mehldau interview thread with Beato bashing who have been doing it now through multiple threads. I'm trying to figure out why anyone would waste that much time and energy repeating how much they don't like a YouTuber to a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. As I've gotten older, I've become more mindful of the energy I am putting out into the world and try to keep things positive. Hopefully those who have discussed over multiple threads now how annoying, basic, unskilled and unfashionable they find Beato are writing these posts while they're killing time sitting on the crapper. Otherwise just seems like a big 'ol waste of time on this planet to me. 

• Like 2

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

On 2/26/2024 at 11:59 AM, MathOfInsects said:

We've run the Beato topic into the ground here,

More like you've run it into the ground with your jealousy and pedagogical disagreements.

10 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

There are people on this thread who originally hijacked the Mehldau interview thread with Beato bashing who have been doing it now through multiple threads.

Yeah it's gotten pretty old with his parody threads as well.  

• Like 2

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would waste that much time and energy repeating how much they don't like a YouTuber to a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.

True.  Their behavior says more about THEM, than it says about WHO they're bashing...

Old No7

• Like 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

4 hours ago, HammondDave said:

I really do not wish to go into details about this technology. Let's just say that it takes VERY little effort for the user to create the "Perfect AI Girlfriend".  In fact, many psychologists are saying that this technology will seriously affect young men and women's abilities to have meaningful relationships with real people.  Enough said... back to Beato. 

We are all just atoms optimizing for the continuation of our genetic code. What we call "love", "lust", "care", "fairness"...etc, are all just result of that process.

And that optimization often goes absurd places when the "signals" and the "substance" have long de-coupled.

This story about beetles obsessing over beer bottles serves as a perfect reminder:
https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2013/06/19/193493225/the-love-that-dared-not-speak-its-name-of-a-beetle-for-a-beer-bottle

10 hours ago, nursers said:

Rick's just released his latest interview with his AI Girlfriend:

P.S. God I love Copeland's sense of humour, always have.

I had the honor of designing the lighting for the world premiere of his opera, “The Invention of Morel” in Chicago and LA about six years ago. I was also blessed to work with him for two years prior to that planning out the show. What a lot of fun he is. Lots of great stories. 

Here is the creative team for the show. I am in the center. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, HammondDave said:

I had the honor of designing the lighting for the world premiere of his opera, “The Invention of Morel” in Chicago and LA about six years ago. I was also blessed to work with him for two years prior to that planning out the show. What a lot of fun he is. Lots of great stories. 

Here is the creative team for the show. I am in the center. 

please please.. I don't know where you get off posting this is in a Beato bashing thread?  Please go back, rethink your life choices and come back when you've figured it out.

(totally kidding if it's not obvious!  Very cool indeed!)

• Haha 5

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 2/26/2024 at 10:29 AM, Adan said:

Another annoying thing about social media is, for reasons I truly don't comprehend, it seems to force people into binary positions. So, either you think Beato is the greatest thing that ever happened to music, or you're a "hater." I mean, really? So all this time spent listening and reading just erases our brains ability to tolerate ambiguity and nuance?

Jerry Seinfeld has a bit about this in his new Netflix special, where he talks about everything is either "great" or it "sucks." Seinfeld, by the way, is still great.

I feel like people never needed social media to adopt extreme positions. Us/them. You/me. People regard almost anything as a sporting event. If you have a nuanced opinion, realizing the complexities of a situation, they tell you to "take a stand". I think a lot of people engage in "bumperstickerism", where complex issues (and most issues are complex) are reduced to buzzwords and caricatures. 

On 2/27/2024 at 2:09 AM, AROIOS said:

I'm not being difficult, a short video from Matt Johnson often makes my day.

And my reaction to vast majority of Beato's "What Makes This Song Great" series has been a consistent "Who T F Said It's Great?"

He feels the songs are great, and he simply tells you why he feels that way. 

He has an ear training course. And he discusses quite a bit of music theory in his videos within the context of his videos. 

• Like 1

Rick Beato is doing exactly what a musician should be doing as time passes them by and their chances of success in the music business wane. Leverage that knowledge, skill and ability into a more lucrative endeavor.

There's no shortage of musicians who've made the transition from visions of stardom in the music industry to something more attainable in the way of providing ancillary services.

Musicians have become educators, opened recording studios, sound and lighting companies, TV/Film composition, jingle production, music library composition, etc.

YouTube merely opened another avenue for folks like Rick Beato and other influencers.

These types of people would have found another source of income and revenue stream as time and technology allowed.

Don't knock the hustle. Don't hate the game. Find a lane. Play it.😎

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

Rick Beato is doing exactly what a musician should be doing as time passes them by and their chances of success in the music business wane. Leverage that knowledge, skill and ability into a more lucrative endeavor.

There's no shortage of musicians who've made the transition from visions of stardom in the music industry to something more attainable in the way of providing ancillary services.

Musicians have become educators, opened recording studios, sound and lighting companies, TV/Film composition, jingle production, music library composition, etc.

YouTube merely opened another avenue for folks like Rick Beato and other influencers.

These types of people would have found another source of income and revenue stream as time and technology allowed.

Don't knock the hustle. Don't hate the game. Find a lane. Play it.😎

* * BEST POSTING on this thread * *

Old No7

• Like 3

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Beato sucks. Beato is in love with Beato and that comes across strongly in his videos. Very smug, condescending, and patronizing. Typical boomer thinking their opinion is supreme.

I remember seeing this guy back in the day exploiting his kid to get views and shill his perfect pitch ear training course. Now he smacks you in the face with all that gray hair and throws on the knee pads when interviewing musicians. I don't get why these big names like Keith Jarrett and Burton gulped the kool-aid and went on his channel. What is wrong with them? Why can't they see through his bs?

And his greatest this and that videos are all 70's music, he's a boomer trying to evangelize his old lame music to the masses. Hey Beato, Steely Dan ain't the be all end all of music, deal with it, you're time has passed. And that blue gibson that he shamelessly pimps, come on man. He needs to be canceled. Hopefully some Diddy type stuff will come out about him and he will go away.

He doesn't hold a candle to Matt Johnson as far as education goes. Johnson is awesome and genuine. Beato is a phony trying to game the youtube system and scam his fans on that overpriced LP junior type guitar.

• Dislike 2