Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possibly the most ridiculous all-star jam ever

I don't think I've seen this posted here before. While it's only tangentially related to our interests, it warrants discussion simply for the powerhouse keyboard section consisting of Gregg Allman on B3, James Ingram on [checks notes] another B3, and [checks notes again, does a double take, looks one more time just to be sure, checks for signs of a stroke, then hesitantly continues] Donnie Osmond on keytar, set to a shitty B3 patch. There is much to unpack here.

• Wow! 1

24 minutes ago, Josh Paxton said:

I don't think I've seen this posted here before. While it's only tangentially related to our interests, it warrants discussion simply for the powerhouse keyboard section consisting of Gregg Allman on B3, James Ingram on [checks notes] another B3, and [checks notes again, does a double take, checks for signs of a stroke, then hesitantly continues] Donnie Osmond on keytar, set to a shitty B3 patch. There is much to unpack here.

It’s Ringo’s All Star Band 

• Haha 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should……….

Frankie Avalon on trumpet?  Why?

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

5 hours ago, lightbg said:

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should……….

Frankie Avalon on trumpet?  Why?

Your sig line is especially relevant here. "It needs a Hammond. And another Hammond. And a shitty Hammond patch on a keytar."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My own thought on this...

Most pleasant surprise: Lita Ford. What she played was spot-on perfect for that moment in that context from that performer. 

Person whose overall demeanor most screams "I owed someone a favor and/or was blackmailed into being here": John Entwistle.

Most perfect encapsulation of the player's personality: Joe Walsh, making his spot as ridiculous as the situation warranted by just doing one giant slide, in a musical articulation of "Fuck it, let's just get this silliness over with."

Overall MVP: shoulder pads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Kinda silly, but it put a smile on my face anyway!    Gotta admire the stones on Bo Diddley - writing a song with his name as the hook.

🙂 

Many years ago in Fresno, the band I was in was hired to open for Bo Diddley and then be his backup band. 

I switched from lead guitar to bass to play the gig and we hired a keyboard player so we met Bo's band spec. 

MeandBoDiddleycopy.thumb.jpg.66397fdff39642a5f1c8a09c63964881.jpg

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You guys are harsh!  Excepting maybe Avalon (who could've made a nice impression if he had played trumpet earlier, just to show that, well, he could play trumpet) and Walsh, I thought all of them (a) had fun, and (b) played in an entertaining manner.  That includes decent licks by Osmond on the keytar.

• Like 2

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

7 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Well, that was fun!

I thought so, and for real 😀 An all star band only someone like Dick Clark could dream up - just chuggin' along over 30 years ago. Bo could still hit high "A"s back then... of course he's gone now. So is Gregg, James Ingram, John Entwistle, probably others. Kind of a wistful way to end a Sunday evening. 

8 minutes ago, Josh Paxton said:

Oh, and my biggest unanswered question: why bring up Stanley Clarke and then give everyone a solo but him, including the other bass player??

He technically had a solo spot but he decided to keep it down to earth, same with the first dude on organ.

Opened for Bo Diddly once at an upscale club owned for the most part by Sam Ash, he was older and frail toward the end of his life about 18 years ago,  sat down when he performed . but still his indomitable self and I was glad about that... remembering 1st hand the late 50's ....my wife almost knocked him down the stairs backstage, I freaked a bit as she told me that and called her 'name'!! after the fact, he was pretty fragile ...you gotta know most of them hated doing this show.... I've had to do some of those on a much smaller local scale on the scene out here on LI when I was gigging in the clubs more, you always walk off stage feeling a little, 'dirty'....at some point PR has a trap door in it..... somthing like that!!    

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

9 hours ago, konaboy said:

what an unbearable racket.  would have worked with just 4 people playing.

That pretty much describes every single large ensemble "jam" to me, regardless of quality of players.

Especially the ones with multiple guitarists, ugh.

• Like 1

Okay   as Moonglow said, that was fun.

I enjoyed it for exactly what it was.  I don't do a deep dive into these things.  I just enjoy the jam.

I think we take ourselves too seriously at times.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I'll see your Bo Diddley, and raise you the song I'm working up at the moment: Until You Come Back To Me

- Aretha Franklin: vocals and piano

- Donny Hathaway: Rhodes (I think it's Rhodes not Wurly)

- Richard Tee: Hammond Organ 

- Kenneth Bichel: synth (that's four keyboard players)

- Hugh McCracken: Guitar

- Chuck Rainey: Bass

- Bernard Purdie: Drums

Plus Joe Farrell playing some of the coolest flute ever to be immortalised in a pop single.

Bonus points: written by Stevie Wonder, alongside Morris Broadnax and Clarence Paul.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

Sorry, I read Aretha Franklin as Al Franken 😆

I'll see their Shiela E.  and raise them a Yoko Ono.

Very fun video!  They all looked so healthy at the time.   

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

You have to love any performance where the introduction of the players lasts as long as the song itself.

That was crazy.

I'm sorta Jonesing to loop that solo section and make an "8 Hours of Bo Diddley" video. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

On 1/28/2024 at 9:05 PM, Josh Paxton said:

Person whose overall demeanor most screams "I owed someone a favor and/or was blackmailed into being here": John Entwistle.

I thought it was the realization upon turning off his hearing aid,  "If I can't hear this I'm not really here."

Stanley Clarke did not do a solo? How is this being mistaken? His moment is as much riffing the instrument as anyone and more than a few. A couple only made noises on beat. 

I agree these mass jams are typically incoherent. In the Concert For George documentary someone mentions knowing what and when not to play when there are so many musicians and duplicated positions. If you ever listened to the third disc of All Things Must Pass the jams are more like the ongoing noise of a crowd than a perceptible cheer or conversation.