Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Van Halen "ripped off" Jump riff from Hall & Oates?

Not sure if this has been posted before... (Their headline not mine)

Arguably the Freebird-Stairway to Heaven of Keyboard riffs....but sill pretty cool article. 

Especially after hearing the H & O song side by side. 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/van-halen-ripped-off-hall-and-oates/

Since the duo had become one of the biggest acts in pop music then, Eddie admitted to taking the crux of the riff from ‘Kiss On My List’. It’s easy to see the similarities once you listen to both of them back to back since both songs are in the same key and have the same syncopated rhythms going back and forth between both hands.

Despite the similarities, Darryl Hall had no ill will towards the Van Halen camp, recalling later, “It’s something we all do. Eddie Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from ‘Kiss on My List’ and used it in ‘Jump’. I don’t have a problem with that at all.” Although there could have been some legal trouble, the influence from the soul duo gave the world a soft rock romp and a hair metal banger out of the same lick.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

First measure of Jump goes V/I to I.  

Kiss on my List has a pickup with V that arrives at I on the down beat of the first measure and then goes to V.

That’s not “very” similar as the rhythm is quite different. And that’s where any similarities end before they even really begin.  Inspired by the tempo, feel, vibe, sure.  If they say so. 

Kiss also plays a fun game of drifting between Cm and C.  Jump does not.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Some songs are blatant copies of others - and usually end up in court!

(I'm thinking of George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' and the Chiffons 'He's so fine'  ..... or Richard Rodger's 'Mountian Greenery' and Lionel Bart's 'Fings ain't what they used to be'.. ) but the similarity here seems a lot more tenuous?....

• Like 1
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

If they say so. 

I agree, it's not literal but I see it.  I think  that basic shape of the  I/V- V pattern in the chorus that he got inspired by with the different rhythm either intentionally, or perhaps not being a keyboard player being as comfortable with that rhythm.  But yes of course once H&O go to the  Eb and rest of the song not so much. 

Much of art is inspired by other art.  Not that I'm calling Jump art  :)    If he hadn't said it himself, I probably wouldn't of made the connection, but that's the fun and interesting part.  To see where the seed of inspiration comes from- at least to me. 

To this day still think a blatant progression rip is the main section of  "Just what I needed" by the Cars- which is pretty darn close to "I want to hold your hand" by the Fab4.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

5 hours ago, obxa said:

Not sure if this has been posted before... (Their headline not mine)

Arguably the Freebird-Stairway to Heaven of Keyboard riffs....but sill pretty cool article. 

Especially after hearing the H & O song side by side. 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/van-halen-ripped-off-hall-and-oates/

Since the duo had become one of the biggest acts in pop music then, Eddie admitted to taking the crux of the riff from ‘Kiss On My List’. It’s easy to see the similarities once you listen to both of them back to back since both songs are in the same key and have the same syncopated rhythms going back and forth between both hands.

Despite the similarities, Darryl Hall had no ill will towards the Van Halen camp, recalling later, “It’s something we all do. Eddie Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from ‘Kiss on My List’ and used it in ‘Jump’. I don’t have a problem with that at all.” Although there could have been some legal trouble, the influence from the soul duo gave the world a soft rock romp and a hair metal banger out of the same lick.

Have you been drinking?

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

All I needed to know was that the source is a UK rag, where they delight in controversial articles designed to pit musicians against each other.

Imagine how disappointed the rag was when Daryl basically said "I don't care".

Move along, nothing to see here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Okay, I'd say it's pretty far from a "rip-off" of any sort. It's more like "slightly inspired by". I mean, I hear it, but it's just sort of the "flavor" evoked by the first bar of Kiss on My List - that's about it.

50 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

All I needed to know was that the source is a UK rag, where they delight in controversial articles designed to pit musicians against each other.

Imagine how disappointed the rag was when Daryl basically said "I don't care".

Move along, nothing to see here.

As The Real MC said up here ^^, this is definitely someone trying to start a fight where there isn't one to be had. Interestingly, I noted that the video that Far Out mag posted in the article itself is a live version that has the CP electric grand playing a couple of little "pecks" before the real tune begins, and that definitely sounds a touch closer to the Jump riff format. Probably a case of the magazine trying to find a clip to back up their point a little more. But good luck trying to base a lawsuit on a riff that sounds vaguely similar to a live version of a studio track that doesn't even have that part in it - usually (always, perhaps?) these lawsuits revolve around studio tracks. I mean, bands do all sorts of things live with little riff snippets and stuff.

Check out that clip here - just the couple of opening notes.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've read a version of this before, without the sensationalization. It wasn’t “ripped off,” EVH just apparently told his friend Hall or Oates that he had Kiss On My List in mind as he noodled out that riff. It’s not a rip-off.

I can sorta hear it in the intro, and it doesn't hurt that it's the same key and chords are voiced the same. But I actually think the non-musician reporters got this wrong. I think the part that EVH was remembering was what happens after "...of the best things in life." Those are held the same and have the same basic rhythmic structure as Jump. They don't change in exactly the same places but the similarity is more apparent there. Not to mention, it's essentially the "hook" of the song and would be the part someone would remember anyway.

• Like 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

How Will I Know must rip these songs off too.  Except the tonal center is G.  And the bass line isn’t a pedal.  And there’s a Bm between the G and the C.  And the C has the M7 in it. And the riff starts on the and of 1.  But the tempo, feel and vibe is there, so… if I say so.  IMG_0892.jpeg.fcc4aafc99e2e520a06457f3e0e15908.jpeg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Jump has I, VI, V over a 1 pedal just like the first bar of "Turn It On Again" by Genesis (admittedly that veers off into less well-trodden ground in the second half of the riff) - but it's another example of the (perfectly normal) recycling of ideas that goes on in pop.

Cheers, Mike.

That headline made the whole thing dumb.

Tons of songs use that progression over the I. Piano Man and Your Song from just before that same era come to mind. We're talking about the "three chords," the canon is filled with similar tunes. 

To reiterate: EVH did not rip off Hall and Oates. He just told Daryl Hall (I just figured out which one!) that he had that tune in mind when he worked on the riff. The backstory was that they were buds and EVH wanted Hall be the new singer in Van Halen. EVH was hanging around the recording session when they were working on this song, and was familiar with the tune. When he started messing around with his new keyboard and playing riffs, the one that became Jump was made with the general awareness of KOML. It wasn't taken from it, it just exists in its current form because EVH knew that other tune so well for other reasons. I'll have to search for the article that discusses this, I read it a fairly long time ago now. Or what feels like a long time ago by virtue of not being today. 

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

3 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

the one that became Jump was made with the general awareness of KOML.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Especially hearing more of the actual backstory. I'm also stealing  "what feels like a long time ago by virtue of not being today"

So this was fun and managed to not derail into flames.

Never heard of Far-Out  magazine before, was sent in a daily newsfeed.  I guess it does smell a bit like " lazy Google journalism".  Gave up most music mags long long time ago. Except for trades like our beloved Keyboard &  EM when they were alive. Still enjoy SOS.      But things like Rolling Stone's "top guitar player" and "200 greatest singer" lists,  not too mention the whole R&R hall of fame... are best viewed with a metric ton of salt.    Kinda like most You-tube "Influencers."  

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Hell you could throw a rock and hit a pop song with the I-V-vi-IV progression in it, those are all way more similar than those two songs.   If  I hear a song that isn't comprised of those four chords in some variation I'm surprised.   

• Like 1

Not even close, and I always notice when something rips something else. Now if you want to talk about Outlaw Pete - Bruce Springsteen and Kiss I was Made For Lovin You, then we have a total rip off, that is impossible not to notice how similar they are.

52 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Not even close, and I always notice when something rips something else. Now if you want to talk about Outlaw Pete - Bruce Springsteen and Kiss I was Made For Lovin You, then we have a total rip off, that is impossible not to notice how similar they are.

Springsteen ripped off KISS?

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I mean...nah. Yeah, sorta-kinda, but nah. It's just a melody that walks up the minor scale. It doesn't even turn around the same way. 

On second thought, though, I guess that violin interlude is pretty suspect. It certainly seems more aware of the "original." I wonder if Springsteen wrote that line, or someone else arranged it, or the violin player just played it. In the latter case, it's entirely possible he or she had the Kiss tune in the subconscious. 

Actual lawsuits over this use an algorithm that includes exposure (did the artist have a reason to have heard the original, and how often would that have happened). It would certainly be hard for Springsteen and whoever else was involved in putting the track together, to claim they never heard that massive, age-appropriate hit by KISS.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

The Cars "Just What I Needed"in addition to using chords from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" took the intro from "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by the Ohio Express.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Yes and Kiss didn't sue Bruce, it would just be one half billionaire suing another. Gene said they wouldn't sue.  I remember at the time Bob Lefsetz's column saying "how could the producer (or anyone else) not tell Bruce how blatant a rip off that part is?

I hear it. But when some people dig in and dissect it to show how different they are I think that is a different language. It is like the dissimilarity is in latin while the similarity is in pig latin. I don’t speak either but I can hear similarities.

I'm chuckling at the exercise of dissecting a couple of 40 year songs.🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"