Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Van Halen "ripped off" Jump riff from Hall & Oates?

These types of stories come out semi-regularly, and especially non-musicians seem to have trouble making the distinction between - let's say - the melody, feel, sounds, rhythmic arrangement, music theory, inspiration/homage. Daryl Hall's comment seems off the cuff. Problems arise when individuals, composers and companies are sued...and cases are won. The worst ones are just opinions based on a "similar feel" or the overall sound. A few examples: 

• Michael Jackson: "Billie Jean" vs yes, Hall & Oates again: "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)". Supposedly MJ himself admitted lifting the bass line, but that's another similar Hall story!
  • Steely Dan: "Gaucho" vs Keith Jarrett: "Long As You Know You're Living Yours". Fagen/Becker did the Jarrett-esque piano thing completely as an homage - and there's nothing stolen in these two songs - but sourpuss Jarrett sued anyway, and now has a co-writing credit. 
  • Robin Thicke & Pharrell: "Blurred Lines" vs Marvin Gaye: "Got To Give It Up". Sued, lost. The Thicke/Williams tune has a vaguely similar "feel", not a ripoff. Gaye's song is supremely superior in all regards (even though that comparison isn't even needed).
  • Huey Lewis & The News: "I Want A New Drug" vs Ray Parker, Jr.: "Ghostbusters". Both are just pretty standard 80's medium tempo rockers, with arguably very similar, but also genre-appropriate basic chords. Lewis sued, Parker settled. 
  • Joe Satriani: "If I Could Fly" vs Coldplay "Viva La Vida". There's one melody fragment that's a bit similar in Coldplay's chorus, but other than that, there's just nothing else there. 
  • Tom Petty: "I Won't Back Down" vs Sam Smith "Stay With Me". Again, a vastly superior song (Petty/Lynne) versus a modern pop song (Smith) that has a similar chorus melody. They sued, Smith lost. 
  • Stevie Nicks "Stand Back" vs Prince "Little Red Corvette". This one is a bit different because there wasn't a controversy; Nicks' song was influenced by hearing the Prince song, and Prince actually plays the synth part on it. Nicks is credited as the sole songwriter, though. According to Wiki they split publishing on it. You can sort of hear the influence, but they're two completely different (great) songs. 

Now nowadays this discussion isn't even valid, because so much of what's considered pop music is exactly the same. The same dull C-Am-F-G, or let's say F-C-Am-G type chord progressions, similar production and one-note melodies. 

10 hours ago, tapes said:

• Robin Thicke & Pharrell: "Blurred Lines" vs Marvin Gaye: "Got To Give It Up". Sued, lost. 

Gaye's estate won that, not lost, yes? 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Two notes.     We called this last night.  Even it's just the intro,  never fails to make me think of two quirky guys inspired by Naked Lunch and 50/60's jazz.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.