Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

*Sunday Bashing* Jordan Rudess hears Alicia Keys for the first time

1 hour ago, Bill H. said:

...I don't know how anyone could have avoided it all these years...

Never heard that boring tune either. It's as simple as cutting commercial Pop radio out.

I don’t listen to pop stations but I’ve heard that song hundreds of times. I don’t know how it goes, I believe just being part of this world naturally gets you exposed to all the popular things. You should really be making some special efforts to be able to avoid that 😀

All of the videos where someone hears a song for the first time are stupid. It is obvious you can’t show an honest reaction to music that is interesting enough for video. They all overact knowing there is a camera on them.

These chosen songs have already been popular to masses. There is a sense of obligation to be dramatic. But most people and most songs require time, repetition and the right context to become hits. Most are not instantly likable. It certainly isn’t common or normal to display a dramatic reaction to a song heard for the first time.

In the film on Mozart, he hears (reads the notation and plays) a fellow composer’s piece and starts riffing over it with alternative approaches. The composer is insulted. Yeah it was a fictional depiction no one could know the truth about, however, this whole premise here having Rudess play to the music is insulting.

By the way, I have never heard that song before. I don’t listen to pop stations routinely but if scanning I will stop if I hear anything interesting regardless of genre whether music or talk radio. I occasionally pause the dial on a pop station. If I heard that song it wouldn’t last more than the time to change the station.  

I'm with @Bill H., I can't imagine how someone has avoided hearing any part of this song for the last decade and a half. Even if you don't spend time spinning similar songs yourself, it's everywhere. Maybe it has just been willfully ignored when it's been heard?

It's pretty damned insulting to imagine you are the secret sauce that Alicia Keys and Jay-Z are missing. How do you open a track by one of the greatest rappers and producers of all time, and one of the age's most successful singers/songwriters, and decide that your 90's chin-hair-having niche-fame based on a career of dork-denying pasta-cooking in real time is the thing they really needed to make it big? Yeah, Metal Smurf, no. They got this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

8 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

By the way, I have never heard that song before. I don’t listen to pop stations routinely but if scanning I will stop if I hear anything interesting regardless of genre whether music or talk radio. I occasionally pause the dial on a pop station. If I heard that song it wouldn’t last more than the time to change the station.  

That song was at the end of MIB 3.

• Like 1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Just now, MathOfInsects said:

I'm with @Bill H., I can't imagine how someone has avoided hearing any part of this song for the last decade and a half. Even if you don't spend time spinning similar songs yourself, it's everywhere. Maybe it has just been willfully ignored when it's been heard?

Not imagination, I am part of reality. If I ever heard any portion of that song I didn’t hear enough to recognize it. And I would not recognize it again because I stopped the song that quickly. For sake of this thread I didn’t need to listen to the song. I just determined it wasn’t a song I had heard before and I had no interest in hearing more of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:
1 hour ago, 16251 said:

That song was at the end of MIB 3.

Oh yeah I like everyone in the world saw MIB 3. ;)

WTF is MIB 3?

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, AROIOS said:
4 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

...He can only play in one idiom well, and I’m not even sure what you’d call it...

Neo-Classical Shred

What's really astounding is that his vocabulary only includes major and minor chords and the most awkward/lame voicings thereof.    Isn't he supposed to be some sort of child prodigy?

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

All of the videos where someone hears a song for the first time are stupid. I

Taking JR out of it, because he is inherently polarizing, I would like to think most of us can agree these "first time" videos are the internet at close to it's most useless.  

But the beauty of YouTube is you're just one click away from a video of Coltrane My Favorite Things live 1965.  The choice is yours.

• Like 4

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

14 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

...vocabulary only includes major and minor chords and the most awkward/lame voicings...

😃 That should be part of Neo-Classical's WIKI page.

Something I've never really understood is some of this forum's propensity for bashing on other musicians. Lachy Doley, Jordan Rudess, Neon Vines, etc. We're a pretty reasonable group otherwise, I feel like, but this gets old...and I'm not saying a particular video is good (I don't like this one), just observing that it seems like all it takes is one clip that someone doesn't like for a bunch of people who very likely have little of equal success/fame to pile onto other artists/musicians. Like I said, it gets old...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

In the words of the great physicist, Richard Feynman, what do you care what other people think?   It's  a funny phenomenon, that some people internalize a dislike for something they like as something personal. 

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

All players prefer to play in styles that speak to them and as listeners we can see where they spent their 10,000 hours.  I’m really glad that there is great variety in this world as it would be an utter and complete bore to only hear players that took the same path.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It's a discussion board. Discussion is not the same thing as agreement. In fact, by definition, it's the thing that happens among people with differing opinions.

The trick is to encounter others' opinions without taking them as a referendum on our own. It's not just an ingredient for better conversations, but a damned handy life skill as well. 

• Like 6

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

34 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Something I've never really understood is some of this forum's propensity for bashing on other musicians.

Like I said, it gets old...

Brotha Max....music is like sports in that regard. Don't worry too much about it. There will be no broken beer bottles over the head. Not amongst this crowd.😁😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh yeah, the first time I heard Alicia Keys, I immediately thought "She'd really have something if only that was slathered with prog-rock 64th notes." 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

In the words of the great physicist, Richard Feynman, what do you care what other people think?

If you make music for yourself, you can never go wrong because (hopefully) you really enjoy making it. Maybe some other people will like it, too. Maybe not. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My perspective on why we as forumites critique other keyboard players is that we are forming or re-affirming ideas about the type of player we each want to be. Although pettiness and professional jealousy are real things, that is for the most part not what's happening here. I have no vested interest in JR's success or lack thereof -- I wish him the best. But as a keyboard player chatting it up with other keyboard players on an internet forum, it helps me to shape my own goals to say that's not what I'm aiming for. 

There always comes a point in these discussions where someone says, well, you're not as good as so-and-so, therefore you have no right to critique their playing. That's a non-sequiter. Yes, JR has more talent than me, but that's the point.  We talk about players who are at the top of the profession because some of them become our north stars and some of them don't.

3 minutes ago, Adan said:

• Like 7

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

JR was never really relevant and will never be thought off in the same light as other heavy weight players because the soul isn't there.   Most of the keyboard players I know don't really talk about him or know who he is for that matter. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Dream Theatre has/had Portnoy and Petrucci, two guys who appreciate music history and context. They noodle all the time too, but have a sense of different genres and eras and how and what musically should be placed where and when. 

I like Derek Sherinian, former DT keyboardist, and he does that annoying EVH guitar wanna-be stuff too, but he also plays well and fits in well in a band setting.

I want to like Rudess as a player. He certainly knows his stuff regarding music theory and tech gear, but it just perpetuates the isolated "nerdy wizard keyboardist" stereotype to a point where I think his prodigious chops and knowledge are sadly limited to one very narrow lane. I can't see him backing any soul singer, or even playing a 3 chord Seger song.

Prog folks have always been all about chops, but the best know how to tastefully (usually) blend in with larger musical units, be it rock combo or orchestra.

• Like 3

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Agree this was pretty pointless, and at times condescending.  First off, this is a rap song.  It's about the lyrics, the rhythm/beat, and the delivery...not about how sophisticated the chord changes are, or the chops being displayed.  Kinda weird for them to even refer to it as Alicia Keys' song in the first place, given that she was the featured artist and just sings the chorus between Jay-Z's verses...(although she did have a different version where there was no rap and she sings verses)...

Also agree there are certain artists that, for whatever reason, the criticism seems to be almost overstated in a sense...or kind of goes beyond just critiquing the art and strays into some broader narrative.  Rudess seems to be one of them here.

Not to hijack this thread even further from the original post...but am I remembering correctly that Jordan used to post in this very forum years ago, and was eventually sort of "run off"?  I'm sure that's oversimplifying it--and this predates my active involvement in the forum, so apologies to the forum OGs if I've mischaracterized it lol.

20 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

In the film on Mozart, he hears (reads the notation and plays) a fellow composer’s piece and starts riffing over it with alternative approaches. The composer is insulted. Yeah it was a fictional depiction no one could know the truth about, however, this whole premise here having Rudess play to the music is insulting.

"Hmmmm, that doesn't really work there.  Did you try this, Or this?  Or......  This??  Ha ha ha ha!"

For the record, I'd never heard the Alicia Keyes song either.  Or seen Men In Black.

• Like 2