Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If sponsored by one brand… what would you choose?

NORD. I've been playing behind a red keyboard exclusively for 20 years this year (Nord Electro 2 since 2004, Nord Stage 3 since 2018).

I'll take a Nord Stage 4 88 for the studio, a Nord Stage 4 73 for gigs and whatever else they wanna throw at me. I'm a Nord Nerd.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:05 PM, The Piano Man said:

Let’s imagine you are a top pro keyboardist and you get sponsored by one brand that gives you the chance to pick three keyboards.

1. Which keyboard brand would you wish for?

Rhodes.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:05 PM, The Piano Man said:

2. Which 3 boards would you choose? 

They could send me (2) Rhodes 88 and (1) Rhodes 73.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

19 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

funny, just need to look at the sigs of the posters and know 95% of the answers before they're posted.

Not mine.... Arturia! A couple of their controllers and a PolyBrute (with a laptop full of all sorts of VSTi's) and I'm set. 

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I expected to see more love for Nord here, especially given the cost of their boards. Sponsorship is practically the only way to be able to afford them. 

It seems Yamaha, Korg and Hammond still hold significant mindshare in our little corner of the music world. 

For me personally it would be a marriage between Kawai pianos and Roland synths. 

Kawai Concert Artist piano

Kawai ES920 

Roland Fantom 8

1 minute ago, Ibarch said:

For me personally it would be a marriage between Kawai pianos...

Kawai would be my choice among major manufacturers.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I would need great actions, AP, EP/electromechanical, clonewheel, VA and ROMpler. The latter is where Nord falls down (although a Piano 88, Stage 73 and Wave 2 is tempting otherwise).

Roland? RD2000 is a nice action. The Fantom is a mighty beast, but VR730 is their best organ, which concerns me. Plus I've never really connected with Roland's AP tone.

Korg? That would be GrandStage + Nautilus + Vox Konti. Not a single (moving) drawbar/fader among any of them. I've struggled with Korg's hammer action as well.

Kurzweil doesn't have a hands-on/easy-to-use stage keyboard or (real) clonewheel. (There's two opportunities right there for the taking)

Which leaves Yamaha. Montage 7, YC61 and CP88 is a strong combo, with clonewheel perhaps its weakest point. I think Yamaha have the best "piano in a band" proposition.

I think we're back to: it depends on the gig. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

You know, I think I'd go with Casio.  Three boards?  Okay, my PX-5S, and my long-gone CZ1.  I'd have to pick someone else for my clonewheel -- come to think of it, that new little Hammond might fill that void.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

On 1/8/2024 at 7:50 PM, Delaware Dave said:

Crumar/GSI.

I'd have a Seven, Mojo Classic and the upcoming Spirit and talk Guido into building a DMC 73 w/ Gemini.

You beat me to it. However instead of the Spirit I would take a Gemini Desktop w/D9X controller (I know that's four items but...). However if you ever succeed in getting GSi to produce a single keyboard with Gemini, please make it 76 keys. This whole 73 key thing just messes with my head. :)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

2 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

You beat me to it. However instead of the Spirit I would take a Gemini Desktop w/D9X controller (I know that's four items but...). However if you ever succeed in getting GSi to produce a single keyboard with Gemini, please make it 76 keys. This whole 73 key thing just messes with my head. :)

i would also prefer a dmc76 to a dmc73 but since his 7x keybeds are all 73 keys my guess is that he wouldnt want to introduce another keybed that has 3 additional keys and may not fit into a stock case design he already has but, yes, let's make that 76 keys.  i've been jonesing for a dmc7x w/ built-in gemini for 5 years but when he discontinued the internal gemini version i knew it would never come to fruition.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

20 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I would need great actions, AP, EP/electromechanical, clonewheel, VA and ROMpler. The latter is where Nord falls down (although a Piano 88, Stage 73 and Wave 2 is tempting otherwise).

Roland? RD2000 is a nice action. The Fantom is a mighty beast, but VR730 is their best organ, which concerns me. Plus I've never really connected with Roland's AP tone.

Korg? That would be GrandStage + Nautilus + Vox Konti. Not a single (moving) drawbar/fader among any of them. I've struggled with Korg's hammer action as well.

Kurzweil doesn't have a hands-on/easy-to-use stage keyboard or (real) clonewheel. (There's two opportunities right there for the taking)

Which leaves Yamaha. Montage 7, YC61 and CP88 is a strong combo, with clonewheel perhaps its weakest point. I think Yamaha have the best "piano in a band" proposition.

I think we're back to: it depends on the gig. 

Cheers, Mike.

I think you nailed it there with the ‘piano in a band’. The YC/CP range is a versatile option that Korg haven’t addressed (real drawbars) and Roland haven’t updated since their VR09/730. You can use the sliders on the Fantom, but no idea how that works or how the organs sound (I hear they are pretty much the same as the VR…).

As for Grandstage, I’m a fan of the sound and the RH3 so I paired with a YC. That doesn’t really answer the question of the post of course, but not sure I could pick three boards from one manufacturer to make an ‘ideal’ gig.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

56 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

You can use the sliders on the Fantom, but no idea how that works or how the organs sound (I hear they are pretty much the same as the VR…).

It is a single button press (the param button) on the Fantom 0 when on one of the virtual tone wheel (VTW) organ sounds to switch the 8 faders to drawbars. May even be a setting to do this by default. The 9th drawbar is only on the touch screen. Works OK for an occasional organ patch but would drive a serious organ player mad. 

It's been a while since I cast ears on a VR organ, so can't verify how similar the Fantom sounds. If my memory isn't deceiving me again, I recall only 3 organ sounds on VR09. The Fantom has 25 VTW presets. Some are variations with different effects but I'm sure there are many more than 3 base sounds here.  I don't remember a brake function either but I could be wrong. 

To me the VTW organs are great, so much better than the Zen-core ones in the Fantoms and RD-88. They arn't quite as good as my Blue3 plugin on the PC but are quite close. 

20240111_185906.thumb.jpg.ca42b1c4b49aa4ec10f2a18459ddc687.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

You know, I think I'd go with Casio.  Three boards?  Okay, my PX-5S, and my long-gone CZ1.  I'd have to pick someone else for my clonewheel -- come to think of it, that new little Hammond might fill that void.

Casio are doing a lot right in their niche at the moment, with the CTS1 and CTS500. They had a clonewheel model on that synth with an unmemorable model number (XW-P1?), but never followed up. Yamaha have showed Casio where they could go with the CK series - time for some competition!

Cheers, Mike.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, ProfD said:

They could send me (2) Rhodes 88 and (1) Rhodes 73

Surely you want a 88, a 73 and a 64?

Cheers, Mike.

25 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Surely you want a 88, a 73 and a 64?

Nope.  I'd prefer all 88s.  I'll deal with a 73.  Definitely not 64.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

9 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Sounds great. The mix/balance of the whole band is good too - what's your secret?

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for the kind words.

To be fair, what you hear on the youtube video has its balance optimized by doing a post-gig mix. We use a Zoom L-20 as a dual-purpose live mixing board and multitrack recorder which has 18 completely independent inputs. We need this many inputs because we have 7 people, 5 of whom sing at various times (as well as playing instruments), and we use 5 mics to capture the drum kit.

• Like 1

For a live rig, I'm tempted to say Alesis:

QS8.2

Fusion 6HD

Andromeda

It would seem to cover all the bases, and in a live setting the piano is fine. 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 1/10/2024 at 4:21 AM, elsongs said:

I'll take a Nord Stage 4 88 for the studio, a Nord Stage 4 73 for gigs and whatever else they wanna throw at me. I'm a Nord Nerd.

Good man!

NERD.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce