Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What piano sound do you use live?

My own live piano sound has varied over the years…

Yamaha EMT10 first piano sound

Alesis Nanopiano - program 4

Kurzweil Micropiano - program 1

Rhodes 760 (Roland U20)

Technics SX-P30 

Technics SX-P50 Pop Grand

Nord Stage 2 ex - Bright Grand

Roland XV3080 with SRX02 - Dynamic Grand (I prefer the older Roland pianos to the newer physically modelled ones)

Today, I use the Kurzweil PC3a8. I use the German Concert and Bright Grand programs but do also still use the old Triple Strike Studio Grand. I also have an SP76 for when I cannot face hauling the PC3a8. 

I still own both Technics pianos and do also return to them. 

As others have said, I like a clear and precise sound for live work without too much detail/effects.

Speakers wise, I have EV ZXa1 and occasionally subject my ears to Roland KC. It does have a fairly brash sound but for some scenarios, a keyboard amp with dials in reach is a handy thing.

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

For solo piano I use either the Bechstein or NY Steinway on a Casio PX S-7000. 

Played through a Bose Pro 8

For band gigs it’s the CFX mono or U1 on a CK 88. 
If I’m using the Stage 3 Compact alone it’s the Studio Grand or Black Upright. 
Played through IEM’s or a Bose S-1

(I’m really enjoying playing PianoTech 8 at home triggered by a Kawai ES 520 and may try that live at some point)

19 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

I might take my Generalmusic Promega 3

The Promega 3 has a killer piano.  One of then best I've played....

I have the Equinox 88 with the Real Piano and its TP20 action.  Used it at band practice this week, still a great piano and that TP20 action just feels fantastic.  I swear I play better on that keyboard than any other that I have owned. 72 pounds though is a killer ....

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

27 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I have the Equinox 88 with the Real Piano and its TP20 action.  Used it at band practice this week, still a great piano and that TP20 action just feels fantastic.  I swear I play better on that keyboard than any other that I have owned. 72 pounds though is a killer ....

Yes it does. The Fazioli and Steinway programs are great but I’ll still use the Pro2 acoustic piano program (which are the samples used in the Equinox) when I need to cut through a band situation. And the action is still the best. If you grew up playing acoustic piano you’ll get it. A lot of current keybed actions are to tight/heavy/slow which you can get used to but imo the PM3 just feels right under the fingers and the connection between key and sound is wonderful.

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

15 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Today, I use the Kurzweil PC3a8. I use the German Concert and Bright Grand programs but do also still use the old Triple Strike Studio Grand. I also have an SP76 for when I cannot face hauling the PC3a8. 

OT:  I gigged a lot with a SP76 up until about 15 years ago.  In hindsight, it had my favorite semi-weighted action for piano playing, I now wish I hadn't sold it for just a couple of hundred bucks about 10 years ago.  Newer is not always better, even in the world of digital keyboards.

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

2 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Wow, didn't even know that Promega 3 existed (nor the Equinox 88 for that matter)...what a monster the Promega is!

But yeah, no way I'd gig it.  I'm a big guy, reasonably strong, but that sounds like a back-breaker and car-destroyer considering the case you'd need.  Hell I'd strongly consider the new Montage M8 if it didn't weigh 62.

Studio/remote session: Pianoteq:( Grotian, Upright U4, Petroff, SteinGraber,)  Kontakt: Noir

Pitband-Oldies: NumaX73 (Vintage preset modified) but leaning towards YC73.  Kurzweil Pc1SE (legacy shows w/ prior heavy programming)

Roots Rock/Funk/Smooth Jazz/Bar & Wedding band, Artist gigs: YC 73. (CFX, S700, Rhodes, Nashville, Hamburg).

Organ only gigs (w/other pianist, but needing occasional piano sounds Midi'd to Clonewheel lower manual)

Mainstage w/Pianoteq and/or Orange Tree Rhodes.    Kurzweil ME1 Module  (Rhodes/Clav/Vibes- still holds up!).  Nord Electro 6 (if on real B3)

Ministry/Church:   Nord Stage2ex88/Grand    Yamaha Bright (aka "studio") Mellow Upright, Felt, White Grand.     Real thing: Baldwin Grand w/earthworks

Solo- Jazz Quartet/trio, cocktail: YC73 (CFX, S700, Rhodes)   Long solo gigs needing 88 keys: Yamaha P-255 (Cfx)

Backline: 1st choice: Nord Stage/Grand/Electro HP (any, & load my presets.)   2nd choice: Yamaha CP/YC (any)  3rd choice: Any weighted piano/synth  Mainstage (Pianoteq or Noir).

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Bright Grand (small) from the Nord sample library when I used the Nord. Cut through better (while also sounding fuller)!than any other “good” piano I’ve had.

Nowadays: the standard piano in the Hammond SKX. Not detailed but cuts through as well as the above Nord. 

I use detailed pianos for recording, but for cutting over 3 brass and electric instruments the simplest, brightest works the best. 

• Like 2

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Does anyone use a combination of two sounds: one to your own monitoring and one to front of house?

I can see some logic in having a simple, bright piano to your own speaker/monitor to cut above the mix whilst putting a higher quality, more detailed sample to the FOH in stereo.

Alternatively, if using in ears, you might want the detailed sample to your headphones and something more simple and precise to FOH, especially if only able to get a mono setup to FOH.

When I owned a Nord, people loved the sound but I, the player, was never happy. At one gig, I put the Nord in stereo to FOH and I midi’d a Yamaha EMT10 (circa 1988) to my own average mono monitor. It’s the happiest I ever was with the Nord!! I sold it shortly thereafter as could not justify the price. Resale value is decent and I had bought it B Stock so didn’t lose much money at all. 

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I can see some logic in having a simple, bright piano to your own speaker/monitor to cut above the mix whilst putting a higher quality, more detailed sample to the FOH in stereo.

I don't get it and probably never will but this topic has come up before and will come up again, I'm sure.

I invest in the best gear I can - the keyboard I like to play and the sounds I like to hear. I spend time setting things up so I'm happy. I hump my gear to a venue, carry it to a stage and set it up. I get ready to play music with my friends, something I enjoy. I'm supposed to knowingly give a higher-quality piano sound to the audience?

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

Does anyone use a combination of two sounds: one to your own monitoring and one to front of house?

Alternatively, if using in ears, you might want the detailed sample to your headphones and something more simple and precise to FOH, especially if only able to get a mono setup to FOH.

When I owned a Nord, people loved the sound but I, the player, was never happy. At one gig, I put the Nord in stereo to FOH and I midi’d a Yamaha EMT10 (circa 1988) to my own average mono monitor. It’s the happiest I ever was with the Nord!! I sold it shortly thereafter as could not justify the price. Resale value is decent and I had bought it B Stock so didn’t lose much money at all. 

Interesting idea, but I know it wouldn't work well for me - my playing is partly a reaction to the sound I'm using. I will play differently with a 2-layer piano like the Roland Session board piano than I will on a Nord with the Royal Grand, or on a Korg sample, because my ear picks up on how the piano responds to my touch and that in turn affects how I play it. I'm always trying to make it sound as "good" as possible, and so having two different pianos would mean I wouldn't be able to adapt in real-time to what the audience was hearing. I don't have as much of an issue when monitoring in stereo while the audience hears mono, or vice-versa, as it's more about accurately hearing how the dynamics and overall timbre are responding to my playing than how the stereo image sits.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Nord Electro 5D, White Grand. It has a fuller, more detailed sound than the other choices, but is also bright enough to cut through in the mix of a blues/rock/R&B band. To me, it sounds more like a piano than all the other piano samples available to later Nord models. For electric piano sounds, I always come back to Wurly. I have tried ALL the Rhodes sounds but none of them work for me as well as the Wurly, especially in terms of how they cut through in the mix. I'm just a Wurly guy and have been since the 70's. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I can't imagine wanting a different sound on stage than what FOH is amplifying to the room.      Sure in a session you know what your playing is probably going to be changed by the producer, engineer, or artist, but you're a hired gun that what the job is, but live what I'm sending via mic or line should only be tweaked in order to make sure it gets to all corners of the venue.  

I use the Epic Grand’s dedicated mono patch (#17, I think) which is loaded into a Kronos 88. The developer told me the Epic Grand sample is from a close-miked Yamaha C7. I run it dry, no reverb or other effects. What I find interesting about the Epic Grand is that the mid range of the keyboard (where some DPs have that thin “banjo” sound) is the strongest, with relatively weaker upper and lower registers.

Prior to this I was using a GEM-RPX module in a completely different rig, which I liked a lot, although not as much as the GEM Pro2 in my music room. ;)

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

On 12/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, The Real MC said:

Kurzweil 1000PX since 1989.

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

I used that for years.  😎👍🏻

dB

Played a 1000px module via Yamaha KX-88 controller from approximately 1987-1994.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

On 12/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, Delaware Dave said:

When just using the PC3 I use the PC3's Pro Piano with my custom tweaks to the program.

I actually do the same, I have the GSI Steinway and C5 loaded and do incorporate them into some setups, but, I still prefer the Kurzweil (modified to my taste) mixed lightly with a CP70 in a solo situation. 

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

My gig piano is a Yamaha grand, but if I were still out with a band, it would be either the Kronos Berlin (took a lot of work to modify and smooth out the attack), or the CK61 where I’ve found a thick sweet spot by layering the CFX Stereo Warm with the CFX Mono Warm with appropriate EQ. 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Kurz PC4 - Recital Piano, Bright Jazz 9Ft., Modern Rock Piano, and sometimes New Orleans for some Harry Connick and old Country songs.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Roland RD-2000 "bright concert."

Cuts through a mix but still rich and full, and not tinny. Many of the main #1 piano settings on a lot of keyboards probably record well, but are buried in mud coming out of a live PA or even out of my personal cabinet. Not that one.

• Like 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

7 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

Now there are lots of exceptions, but during gigs that are piano heavy, I’m working the EQ first.

Very true.  Did 4 band/orch services Christmas Eve:  Starting on a Nord 2EX,  then real acoustic grand, then my Nord again.    Then finished with an 11 p.m service at  different campus on their Nord Stage 76.    For that intimate Chapel service, we don't use in-ears, and just have a couple of wedges for singer and violinist.    Ran Nord in Mono, and brought my little Alto monitor (out of the headphone jack) so I could hear a little better.   Didn't have time to load my patches, but was able to make myself satisfied  by leaning on Nord EQ. 

Much as I love many things about the Numa piano, the YC's eq is much easier to access in combat and tweak, and that's why I'm heading to YC exclusively.  After a couple of weeks of solo/band  gigs with  YC , realized how much I missed having dedicated EQ knobs, and how essential it really is. .  

Slightly off topic.   Wanted to share an experiment I did on one of my last solo holiday corporate gigs with the YC:    Talked before about how I miss having onboard speakers to create some stereo depth and vibration.   This was a long gig.    So brought a TV- sound bar as a monitor, placed by my feet and also tried it behind me,. Wanted to see if that would create the same vibe as the small speakers on pro-sumer pianos.    Running Bose L1 as main speaker.    They also had me set up under an eve. 

Though plenty loud for home rehearsal, the sound bar failed miserably once folks got in the room.   Since I was fairly visibly away from the crowd,  just for grins then tried plugging in my in-ears.  As expected: sounded great, though was worried about not being to keep check on my volume in the room.

If I can do it discreetly enough, may do ears  more often-really made it enjoyable.   I've resigned myself to bring my old  88 P255 with built ins for longer gigs;  only if load- in is easy.    I could also add another Bose (or Alto) , but this was a cheap thrill....

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

For church masses on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning: Steinway Model M grand. 

For gigging: Depending on the gig/rig size, either Yamaha CK88 or Nord Stage 4; sometimes both. And then depending on the song and/or mix of players: Yamaha CFX or S700 Preset, or Nord Imperial or Italian grand. I’ve created about a half dozen of so patches based on those tones - lots of EQ and FX variations.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!