Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joey D - OMG

Monster player. Joey D was born to be a musician.

I clearly remember when Joey D burst onto the music scene. Hard to believe it was several decades ago. He's gone. Time flies. 

Glad he was able to live his life as a musician. Thanks for the music. RIP Joey D. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So I have been told that jazz organists do not "kick bass" per se, but rather the bassline is played in the LH, not the foot pedals.  This video seems (to me) to confirm this.   What are others hearing/seeing?

Not sure about Barbara Dennerlein: the videos I've seen of her show her left foot bouncing around like crazy.

• Dislike 1

The man could swing at any speed.  His life was too short. RIP Joey D. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

3 hours ago, JamPro said:

So I have been told that jazz organists do not "kick bass" per se, but rather the bassline is played in the LH, not the foot pedals.  This video seems (to me) to confirm this.   What are others hearing/seeing?

Not sure about Barbara Dennerlein: the videos I've seen of her show her left foot bouncing around like crazy.

Correct on both points. Most jazzers play left hand bass and tap a pedal at the beginning of each note to give it a bit of attack (except on slow ballads, where some play actual pedal bass.)

And Barbara is the exception to the rule - she has the baddest left foot on the planet.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Moe

---

Joey used to alternate between playing left hand and pedals. He does it in this clip when he plays those insane two hand runs. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

17 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Joey used to alternate between playing left hand and pedals. He does it in this clip when he plays those insane two hand runs. 

Yes, Joey certainly could "kick" pedals when needed... for the poster who asked, most jazz organists play LH and tap pedals as mentioned earlier, but some, Like Barbara Dennerlein mostly kick pedals.

2 hours ago, jerrythek said:

...but some, Like Barbara Dennerlein mostly kick pedals.

That lady doesn't just kick she tap dances on pedals.🤣

In addition to jazz organist, Ms. Dennerlein could be considered a monster bass player too.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 9/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, jerrythek said:

He’s no Lachy Doley…

:hider:

When you wrote that, I had to look up Lachy Doley on Youtube.  I watched a vid of him playing Voodoo Child on the Whammy Clavinet - Wow!   He's really something!   Totally different from Joey, but very excellent in his own right.

He certainly left his mark on us all for sure.

I had the opportunity to hang with him and his dad at an "organ summit" in PA, many years ago.

They were both so laid back and cool to hang with. No snobbery, just pure mojo!

• Cool 1

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

17 minutes ago, analogman1 said:

He certainly left his mark on us all for sure.

Yes he did!   I still have his 'All of Me'  CD that blew my mind when it came out. 

We've all seen the clip of where Miles discovered Joey on a TV  show as an accompanist.   It makes you wonder how much history would be different had that not happened.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

This clip is from Joey’s first instructional VHS tape from the mid-late 90s. This video quite literally taught me how to play the organ. Watching him was a revelation and, to this day, my bass lines implement the “walk up to the 6th” method he demonstrates. 

To third or fourth what others have said, jazz organ bass is majority LH with foot thrown in for emphasis. In this very same instructional video, Joey specifically states this, then demonstrates that he can definitely play them. He then points out that for up tempo tunes, playing all the bass on the pedals just doesn’t swing the same. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

13 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

When you wrote that, I had to look up Lachy Doley on Youtube.  I watched a vid of him playing Voodoo Child on the Whammy Clavinet - Wow!   He's really something!   Totally different from Joey, but very excellent in his own right.

I wrote that as a joke, given the other thread here that has a lot of criticism of one of Lachy’s performances…

I know… never explain a joke, especially a snarky one.

I agree with you, he’s a great player!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jerrythek said:

I wrote that as a joke, given the other thread here that has a lot of criticism of one of Lachy’s performances…

I just read that thread. Wow. I get it now! 😂

• Like 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

5 hours ago, jerrythek said:

I hadn't read that "Gimme Some Lovin" thread about Lachy, so didn't get where you were coming from!   I get it now.   In any case, you introduced me to Lachy, so thanks.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:07 AM, mate stubb said:

Correct on both points. Most jazzers play left hand bass and tap a pedal at the beginning of each note to give it a bit of attack (except on slow ballads, where some play actual pedal bass.)

And Barbara is the exception to the rule - she has the baddest left foot on the planet.

Yikes. Sorry but not quite. There are some who tap a single/random pedal note (the 'thud') and that's cool at least they're doing that but it's also considered pretty bare min.

Whether it a 'thud' or letting the tone ring players should aim to be able to play ALL root points, intervals and passages on the pedals for a song (rather than just a single thud tap and calling that a successful day).

Besides, the bare min just isn't good enough today. Plus even your 'thud' can take on some dimension if you aim to follow the root points of song.

Rockers are in a different category as they rarely took the time to appreciate and learn how to handle LH and pedals (although of course there are a few outliers). These folks will lose/sell the pedals before trying. I see them as 'keyboardists who have an organ' rather than ever considering them organists. They'd need to put in that work if they want that title.

There are some incredible examples of this footwork in the jazz, classical and gospel realm.  Some of the classical players are absolutely amazing.

On 9/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, ProfD said:

That lady doesn't just kick she tap dances on pedals.🤣

In addition to jazz organist, Ms. Dennerlein could be considered a monster bass player too.😁😎

Barbara Dennerlein is phenomenal. She should be much better known and recognized.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Joey, by all accounts, was very humble, yet didn't have false modesty. He never came across as boastful, just truthful. He knew his impact.

"I've always been stretching the boundaries of the instrument since day one," he told Philadelphia Weekly in 2019. "I have my influences, but nobody's played the organ the way I play it."

“The resurgence of the organ has a lot to do with myself,” DeFrancesco said in a 1996 interview for the San Jose Mercury News. “I was 17 when my first record came out, and I was on a major label. And for a while there was really no new face. … I feel very responsible for the resurgence.”

• Like 3

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin