Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joey D - OMG

11 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Whether it a 'thud' or letting the tone ring players should aim to be able to play ALL root points, intervals and passages on the pedals for a song (rather than just a single thud tap and calling that a successful day).

Besides, the bare min just isn't good enough today. Plus even your 'thud' can take on some dimension if you aim to follow the root points of song.

Rockers are in a different category as they rarely took the time to appreciate and learn how to handle LH and pedals (although of course there are a few outliers). These folks will lose/sell the pedals before trying. I see them as 'keyboardists who have an organ' rather than ever considering them organists. They'd need to put in that work if they want that title.

Ok.  So that takes out pretty much every rock organist except John Paul Jones and Steve Winwood, and then some: Booker T, Gregg Allman, John Medeski, come to think of it iirc Larry Goldings doesn't play pedals, or not much - someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall him stating as much in a tutorial video.

Maybe the criteria should be two feet, heel and toe, or you're out.

7 hours ago, Mitch Towne said:

I wish Barbara didn’t use MIDI pedals with an acoustic bass sound. I think that’s a bit cheesy. But, hey, it’s her choice. 

I kinda get this, it's heading into theatre organ territory, but then the jazzers' tap the pedals lightly thing - could be Bb, could be doubling the whole LH line - was in an effort to add the attack to the front end of the left hand notes so that it sounded more like an acoustic bass.  Or is this a myth?

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

5 hours ago, niacin said:

I kinda get this, it's heading into theatre organ territory, but then the jazzers' tap the pedals lightly thing - could be Bb, could be doubling the whole LH line - was in an effort to add the attack to the front end of the left hand notes so that it sounded more like an acoustic bass.  Or is this a myth?

Yes. That’s correct. The tapping of the pedal adds an attack to the note which helps the bass line pop more, similar to the attack of an acoustic bass. But using an acoustic bass sample is a whole other thing. Organ bass and upright bass sound totally different. And when you’re playing a sample on an instrument that’s not that instrument (for example, an acoustic guitar patch on a keyboard), it’s going to end up sounding weird. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Chester is another animal all together!! He brings more gospel to the table than other jazz organists. You play a lot more off the bass on the pedals when you play gospel organ. 

Joey and Chester are my two biggest influences. I love their playing so much. 

• Like 2

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

44 minutes ago, Mitch Towne said:

Organ bass and upright bass sound totally different. And when you’re playing a sample on an instrument that’s not that instrument (for example, an acoustic guitar patch on a keyboard), it’s going to end up sounding weird. 

IMO, samples sound weird depending on 1) how the musician plays it and 2) context in which sampled sounds are played and 3) listener's expectations. 

It doesn't take much for non-KB sounds especially played by KB players to go from hip to Velveeta.  Bass and guitar sounds are the worst offenders.😁

Neal Evans of Soulive uses bass samples that will put some bassists to shame.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

One of my favorite styles is comping muted (rounded) chords with the left hand and covering the bass line with the pedals. Esp with an organ duo.  I’ve seen Joey combine comping and bass on the lower manual but any examples of the above from him?

example:

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 9/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, JoJoB3 said:

There are some incredible examples of this footwork in the jazz, classical and gospel realm.  Some of the classical players are absolutely amazing.

This is phenomenal.  I've seen a few versions and others tend to lose a fraction of time jumping across larger intervals with their left foot, this guy nails it (warning, the following video contains Tatum-like technique on organ pedals and may cause you to just give up now, lol):

https://www.facebook.com/timur.khaliullin.313/videos/1743845679178159

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

• 4 months later...