Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting note with Leslie Simulators

also possibly of note... arguably, they figured it out if you can devote $500+ of dedicated electronics to getting the one effect. 😉 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Are there $1400 worth of electronics in an iPhone? The concept of form utility suggests the answer is yes...as long as you don't have to purchase the parts and DIY it yourself.

If the Vent or Dynacord allows you to not load your Leslie into your van, risk getting it scarred, schlep it out onto a cart and wheel it onto stage, then find out it's not loud enough to compete with the guitar player's half stack without mic'ing it, then carting it off stage, back into the van, and back into your home studio, I suppose that'll be worth $500 for many. Ain't the parts in the box, it's the function of the box versus alternatives.

• Like 9

HX3 looks like its origins are in DE as well.   What this says to me is at least a few folks across the pond in the “land of poets and thinkers” are deeply interested in Hammond + Leslie.  They either can’t get their hands on them easily or hate to carry them.  Maybe both! 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

16 minutes ago, timwat said:

Are there $1400 worth of electronics in an iPhone? The concept of form utility suggests the answer is yes...as long as you don't have to purchase the parts and DIY it yourself.

If the Vent or Dynacord allows you to not load your Leslie into your van, risk getting it scarred, schlep it out onto a cart and wheel it onto stage, then find out it's not loud enough to compete with the guitar player's half stack without mic'ing it, then carting it off stage, back into the van, and back into your home studio, I suppose that'll be worth $500 for many. Ain't the parts in the box, it's the function of the box versus alternatives.

Exactly.   Differentiation drives pricing ability.   They'll raise the price to improve their gross margin irrespective of the rpc.  The best products are highly differentiated by R&D and IP, and if they have a low raw parts cost, it's the best of all worlds.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

37 minutes ago, Al Quinn said:

German engineering is awesome! Doesn’t matter if it’s a car, a dishwasher, or a Leslie simulator.

Not to mention secret drug kingpin superlabs 😆

• Haha 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, BluesB3 said:

Are there $500 of electronics in the box?

Well, at retail price, yes. 

Or it could be, as jazzpiano88 suggested, what the market will bear. 

But for whatever reason, it's not like anyone else has been able to make something as good for less.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Guido is an Italian name, not a German one.   Maybe we should be giving Italy equal, if not greater, props?    I mean, it is, after all, arguably, the cradle of Western civilization.   Italy, Germany, Great Britain, the triumvirate of Western Civilization.   Honourable mentions: Greece, France, Israel.

19 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Guido is an Italian name, not a German one.   Maybe we should be giving Italy equal, if not greater, props?    I mean, it is, after all, arguably, the cradle of Western civilization.   Italy, Germany, Great Britain, the triumvirate of Western Civilization.   Honourable mentions: Greece, France, Israel.

Guido for sure gets plenty of attention here, not to worry.  He plays, loves vintage instruments and gear, is a software developer and he has his stuff running on Win, Mac, custom DSP, iOS an Android.  Not to mention the keyboard controllers.  That’s a lot of work and continuing education!  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah I know about Guido Kirsch.  Is that the same guy that was here on Keyboard Corner when he was developing his first virtual instrument?  If I remember correctly, it was, a Rhodes emulator?  Or was that some other guy.   I was one of the first beta testers of that virtual rhodes, if it's the same Guido.     I think I misunderstood the post about two Guidos - I thought it was saying that Dynacord was also run by somebody named Guido.   Oops - my bad.

16 hours ago, The Real MC said:

The two best outboard Leslie simulators are the Dynacord CLS-222 and the Neo Ventilator.  I own both.

….

Since I never really looked for a standalone Leslie sim, I only now just heard of these. The Ventilator looks very cool, especially the vrs2. I might be tempted to pick one up in a couple months if my need for a Hammond gets serious. Thanks for the tip. And yeah, the Germans really know their shit…kinda like the Japanese…damn Axis out to conquer the world again.

Raul

18 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Not to mention secret drug kingpin superlabs 😆

Neo Instruments, Dynacord Electrical Engineering, and Los Pollos Hermanos: all divisions of Madrigal Electromotive GmbH. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I’m still quietly waiting in hopes of a rack mount version of the Ventilator. I too used a Dynacord CLS-222 back in the day, on the road for over a decade. I still remember the excitement of getting mine new from Chuck Levin’s Music, when $695 was a relatively sizable investment in specialty music gear. 

2 hours ago, eric said:

I’m still quietly waiting in hopes of a rack mount version of the Ventilator. I too used a Dynacord CLS-222 back in the day, on the road for over a decade. I still remember the excitement of getting mine new from Chuck Levin’s Music, when $695 was a relatively sizable investment in specialty music gear. 

That's probably something you'll have to have a tech do for you. 

Buy some dead rack unit and gut it. Hopefully it will already have enough holes for pots and jacks. In fact it will probably have more than you need. If you do the prep work like figure out what pot to put where, you can save some bucks because then the tech can concentrate on running wires to the relocated pots and jacks. 

Otherwise I'd say not happening. Less and less people are even using their vents because on-board sims are getting "good enough" to save the setup time of another box. And rack effects are pretty unpopular amongst the general effects buying population. 

• Like 1

FunMachine.

22 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

and don't forget Massimo Ghirardi , owner and creator of the  MAG organ made in Czechoslovakia .

1 hour ago, bill bosco said:

and don't forget Massimo Ghirardi , owner and creator of the  MAG organ made in Czechoslovakia .

Not to mention those other famous guys from Czechoslovakia:

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 7/17/2023 at 11:55 PM, JazzPiano88 said:

Not to mention those other famous guys from Czechoslovakia:

didn't mean to open up a bunch of Czech jokes , my point was , Massimo Guiardi is an expat , another Italian organ maker , and a good one at that , among the best

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bill bosco said:

didn't mean to open up a bunch of Czech jokes , my point was , Massimo Guiardi is an expat , another Italian organ maker , and a good one at that , among the best

Oh no problem at all.   I was first exposed in the 70s as a teenager collecting stamps and have fond associative memories.    All of the SSR stamps of the day made them look like a sporting utopia to a kid.     Now it's fun to use the first syllable as a homonym for "Check", as in "Czech this out:"

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3