Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has your GAS ever gone for good? (😙)

For years (years) I spent so much time gassing after new boards. Didn’t matter if my rig had enough firepower to invade China, I was always coveting something else. 

It’s been six months now since I bought my SKX and I haven’t had the slightest urge to look at anything else. My time is just spent…playing music, and gear is a non-issue. I don’t even click on links for new boards now. I’ve literally not felt like this since I started buying my own gear. 

Anyone else ever get like this? How long did it last? I’m a millennial and also Scottish, so I get suspicious every time I feel a whiff of happiness, contentment or satisfaction. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I’m about the same when it comes to my gear. Very happy with most of it. 
I couldn’t care less about the latest clonewheel when I have a MAG. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

If you are HERE, the answer is a resounding, automatic NO.

However, mine has become more seasoned. It takes a lot to inspire me, because I'm already where I wanted to be for years. I have the hot rod; I just polish the finish once in a while.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

I bought a guitar out of the trunk of a guy’s car.   He was down on his luck and out of gas. He took the cash, filled his tank and continued on his journey.  I hope he got to where he needed to be. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Nobody will be able to answer yes to this because dead people can't type. 

That about sums it up!

I will say that G.A.S. comes in waves.  I'm a fricken ocean beach right now.  My latest cravings are for interesting toys, like Lyra 8 and Microcosm, which I bought, right after getting an Akai Force.  Last night, I was watching videos of the Erica Synths Bassline DB-01.  I slapped my own face and said, "Stop it!"

After my first frenzy GAS years (2018-2021), when I  got about 60 instruments, I decreased quite a lot the acquisition of keyboard/rack synths. In later years my acquisitions have been mostly software and also accessories for gigging (one exception is the MODX6+ bought at the end of 2022 for rehearsals)

So I thought I was GAS-free... But not!. GAS has returned with a revenge 🤯

Now I am getting abducted by EWIs (Electronic Wind Instruments). In just a week I have got two and another one is almost bought also. My self-excuse is that one of them is faulty and perhaps buying another one, of the same model, also faulty, could help to fix it. GAS plays with your mind! 🤔

So... You are never safe, GAS hides, sometimes even for years, and wait for you when guard is lowered! 😆

Jose

• Like 1

I've acquired two new boards in the last couple of months - a Nord Stage 4 and a Nautilus, and have been buying lots of lights, so I would say my GAS is alive and well. lol

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Yep, my GAS is gone for good. If only due to economic necessity due to skyrocketing taxes and inflation. But mostly, I simply have gotten to a point where I have explored so many sounds from times past and present, from every corner of the world, that I don't feel the need for any more technological innovation or novelty in my life and plan to spend the remainder of my years continuing to improve my composing, arranging, playing, singing, performing, recording, and producing skills. Mostly on natural instruments.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, CEB said:

I retired from performing live last January.  LOL

Does that mean you don't like to just sit and play by yourself?  That's all I've done, since buying a DX7 40 years ago.  It's in my bones to make sound.   I don't have the talent to play at a performance level, but when I walk by a synth or piano, I have that strong urge to press a key...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Yep, my GAS is gone for good. If only due to economic necessity due to skyrocketing taxes and inflation. But mostly, I simply have gotten to a point where I have explored so many sounds from times past and present, from every corner of the world, that I don't feel the need for any more technological innovation or novelty in my life and plan to spend the remainder of my years continuing to improve my composing, arranging, playing, singing, performing, recording, and producing skills.

I understand the inflation part.  I work at a hotel, and also freelance as a videographer.  Slow going, right now.  Yet, somehow, I've purchased a bunch of items that my wife has yet to find out about.  My secret is to not buy something with keys attached!  She doesn't understand the modules.

Improving composing, recording, and producing - check.

Improving performance skills?  A lost cause for me.  I have giant fingers that often hit 2 or 3 keys at a time.  Keyboard and guitar performances are out.  I watch keyboardists play, and most of the good ones have thin fingers that flutter across the keys.  I can't sing worth a darn.  But, when it comes to sequencing/recording, I can play well enough to capture what I need.  I love sequencing.

1 hour ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Mostly on natural instruments.

Egads, man! 🤪   I'm definitely an alien, clamoring for alien sounds.  As a kid, when I heard a string section (JAWS) or Brass (CAPRICORN ONE), or a synth bass, a filter sweep, a drone, those spoke to me.  I wanted to hear sounds that I never heard before, or in ways that sounded powerful.  When I heard certain movie orchestras, like the original series STAR TREK music, I loved it.  In fact, I bought THIS SET, back when they were only $300.  They go for a small fortune now.

My GAS is gone. I’m content with the gear I have and have never really been a gear enthusiast. My interest has always been in the music and view gear as a necessary tool to give me a voice that inspires me. I’d say at this point I’m set sonically but if there are advances in portability, weight reduction, or a keyboard that can switch between piano and organ actions via  patch selection I’ll be interested.

The XK4 looks great.  Assignable controllers is a new thing for the SK/XK line and could be really useful.  I have a great dual-manual clone, but then there are those gigs where I just need an organ as top board.

Oops . . . wrong thread.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

12 hours ago, CEB said:

I retired from performing live last January.  LOL

Yeah kinda takes the wind out of the GAS sails :laugh: I was shocked that when I stopped performing live, the lust for new gear just vanished. A cruel twist of fate... now that I can afford new stuff I don't want it. 

Like may when they retire, my spending priorities have completely changed. Flying to Japan to visit my youngest son and his family, flying to Vermont to visit my brother... those are the kinds of things I look forward to now. And I'm doing both in the next few months :) 

• Like 2

Last expensive synth I bought was my new Nord Electro 5d in 2016 and my Novation Ultranova (used for 200 euros) in 2020, and still are my only hardware synths with more than 150 gigs. All my other purchases since are VST and some peripherals and a couple of controllers (Arturia 25, Korg 61 air MicroKeys, Korg Nanokontrol etc)

If musicians were like me, the music industry would be over long ago 😉😛😅

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I completely misunderstood the thread title.  Has your GAS ever gone for good… I was thinking, has your GAS ever gone toward the [common] good.  A benevolent outcome from GAS.  🤦‍♂️ 

I think a few folks here are doing a splendid job of keeping the MI economy alive and well!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

From a band point of view, I've been happy with my set-up of Nord Electro 6 73SW on bottom and Yamaha MODX-7 on top for a long while now. I buy the cover band soundpacks from Narfsounds as he gets so close to the originals and uses samples etc I'm too lazy to find myself. I'm still on the lookout for something small and analog I could balance on the Nord Electro 6, since the MODX is weak on that soundset, but it's apparently very easy to hook it up to an Ipad and utilise one of the many apps for that, which I'll likely do next.

Mine has been dormant for several years now since my last gigging band broke up. But I'm poised to retire this year or early next so if, as I suspect, it flares up again, I'll probably go the software route to temper GAS with financial prudence. 

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Around 15-20 years ago, I turned my time & attention away from keyboards & guitar towards trumpet. My last keyboard gear purchase was a Roland XV3080. Now I have reverse GAS: I want to sell everything. I’ve just been lazy listing it all. 

When I returned to playing trumpet full time, I started buying horns. A fantastic flugelhorn, another Bb, an Eb/D, and old cornet for $75. In 2015, I bought my dream horn (used) and haven’t bought another instrument since. I’d say my GAS is done or maybe it’s just dormant.

• Like 1

GAS never gone for good here. However, if gear is like a Chess piece, I may be outta moves now.

I just bought a Nautilus 73. It consolidates the sounds, features and functionality I need in a 2nd KB as a complement and alternative to my Rhodes. 

Other than putting an 88-note KB MIDI controller underneath the Naut73, my GAS may be in remission. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It was for awhile… I dropped my 16+ year workstation journey in 2018 in favor of soft synths and an RD-2000. I bought a bunch of software and focused on using Logic Pro. That been pretty good up until late 2022. Then I bought a Hydrasynth Deluxe and now think a Nord Stage 4 might be a new source of inspiration. I know it’s probably all just BS/GAS but I miss “just playing”. I wind up spending more time screwing around with options, software, menu diving, etc. than just playing the damn gear. Of course, we can all justify anything…

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2