Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 plugins ... what is the current state?

Tusker

I have to say I'm still digging Logic's vintage organ.  I've used B-3x and I suspect that if I A/Bed them (I only have the ios version) I might prefer B-3X but VO sounds very good to my ear.

• Like 1

I got the Yonac King B a few weeks ago and haven't had time to do more than install it & try a few basic tweaks but it sounded like it had potential.

I have B3X, Vb3-II & VB3-m. I'm like AnotherScott on the VB3-II vs VB3-m issue, with the same reasoning, in reverse, as Baldwin Funster. That's certainly not to say my opinion is more legit than Baldwin's. Everyone is going to have different desires for "that ultimate sound", so his opinion is just as valid as mine. As we so often say around here YMMV. Right now, I'm using VB3-ll on the job. B3-X should, in theory, sound better but there's something in the VB3-ll that sounds better for me OTJ. If Cherry Audio does as good a job on their Hammond as they did on their Wurlitzer that will definitely another one to give a serious listen to. This is all iOS, by the way, for my uses.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I know vb3-II is considered more advanced than vb3m. I don't like vb3-II. It has a weird tone I can't dial out, unless I run it in vb3m mode. So in my view vb3m is better and cheaper .

Listen to this video, it is the gemini module played from a dmc. This organ and rhodes sound exactly like my rig, i  dont hear anything wierd about the vb3-ii organ tone and the rhodes is pretty much spot on (sounds like the rhodes on ramsey lewis's sungoddess). The gemini is such a great value for its price.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

8 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Listen to this video, it is the gemini module played from a dmc. This organ and rhodes mine sounds exactly like my rig, i  dont hear anything wierd about the vb3-ii organ tone and the rhodes is pretty much spot on (sounds like the rhodes on ramsey lewis's sungoddess). The gemini is such a great value for its price.

Yes the video does sound good. 

One thing positive I can say about vb3II for my uses is its nice to have the onboard ring modulator that can be midi learned to a knob on my controller. Though I can do that with b3x,aum and a moogerfooger plugin as well.

FunMachine.

2 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I know vb3-II is considered more advanced than vb3m. I don't like vb3-II. It has a weird tone I can't dial out, unless I run it in vb3m mode. So in my view vb3m is better and cheaper .

Since VB3-II can give you everything VB3m can, but also much that it cannot, I'd still have to say that VB3-II is better, since anyone who prefers VB3m can still get what they want out of VB3-II, but not the reverse. Though VB3m, of course has the advantages of price and being able to run on smartphones.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

I wonder how difficult it would be for one of these software companies to add a mode where it would emulate an Hammond H-100 and X-66 with its extra drawbars and extra pedal drawbars.

It's not what you're asking but I take the opportunity on the subject of unusual amounts of drawbars to point out that the collab3 says in the ad copy that it has 8 drawbars. 

• Wow! 1

FunMachine.

13 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

VB3m, of course has the advantages of price and being able to run on smartphones.

This.

House keyboard at my every Monday night blues gig is a Yammy P-125, which as most of you know has absolute crap organ sound (that's also lower in volume than the piano). One simple USB cable and an old iphone later and I'm in B3 business. Best $50 bucks I ever spent (VB3m plus used iphone)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D. Gauss said:
17 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

VB3m, of course has the advantages of price and being able to run on smartphones.

This.

House keyboard at my every Monday night blues gig is a Yammy P-125, which as most of you know has absolute crap organ sound (that's also lower in volume than the piano). One simple USB cable and an old iphone later and I'm in B3 business. Best $50 bucks I ever spent (VB3m plus used iphone)

VB3m runs well on my iPhone SE 2016 (the original SE) and I think it sounds just fine. GSi doesn't seem to put it high on the priority list for bug fixes or updates though. It's the only virtual instrument on my iOS rigs that doesn't respond to all notes off. I mentioned it to them quite a while ago. They're quick to reply which is nice, they said it would be added in an update, so far it hasn't. I just reported a bug with how the split point parameter can't be mapped to a midi controller - any CC value you send makes it go to the lowest value (48) and stay there. That particular bug doesn't affect me since I never use VB3m splitted, but not responding to all notes off can potentially lead to stuck notes if you use it like I do.

32 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

VB3m runs well on my iPhone SE 2016 (the original SE) and I think it sounds just fine. GSi doesn't seem to put it high on the priority list for bug fixes or updates though. It's the only virtual instrument on my iOS rigs that doesn't respond to all notes off.... just reported a biug with how the split point parameter can't be mapped to a midi controller - any CC value you send makes it go to the lowest value (48) and stay there. 

I wonder whether these issues also exist in the VB3m mode of VB3-II.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 5/10/2023 at 5:53 AM, Tusker said:

I don't use B3 all that much but recently I was using Logic Pro's stalwart modeled B3 and realized there's probably something much better.

What's out there these days? Pros and cons? I would prefer something modeled rather than sampled so I can push the envelope. I am particular about the quality of amplifier modeling and would prefer not to have to add an effect chain to supplement a weak Leslie or tube stage. Or is there a killer Leslie plugin, also?

Thanks in advance. 

I think B3x, Vb3 are smart buys for those doing occasional organ but of the vst variety Acoustic Samples B5 still betters them in terms of authenticity, leslie sim, and range of B3 model years/tones.  It's the one VSTB3 that can fool the most ears in regard to tracking as well (very affordable too).

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:34 AM, Tusker said:

“For those using B3X, are you typically running through the effects or Leslie only?”

I use both depending on the preset. First I do a universal EQ lowering the bottom two bands to cut off the low bass so that it cuts through better   And sometimes I use the distortion a bit for certain songs.

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

7 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

I think B3x, Vb3 are smart buys for those doing occasional organ but of the vst variety Acoustic Samples B5 still betters them in terms of authenticity, leslie sim, and range of B3 model years/tones.  It's the one VSTB3 that can fool the most ears in regard to tracking as well (very affordable too).

I'm not B3 cork sniffer, but I think that once you run one of these VST's (B3x/Vb3) through a real mic'ed up Leslie, you'll fool pretty much anyone in a full band mix. Awhile back, I  produced an album for a band where the keyboard player tracked with an Xk3 through a weird hodge-podge solid state Leslie with a tube preamp.  Seeing the midi out plug on the XK3, I grabbed a midi cable into the DAW as well.  When i mixed the album, i discarded his audio tracks and just ran the midi track through VB3  (V1 not II) and into my mic'ed up Leslie 145. Years later and the guy is still raving about what a great sound I managed to get out of his organ.

Yes, pretty much anything through a real Leslie beats anything through a sim. 😉 The problem is, nobody wants to carry a 145 or 122 to a gig these days, so we settle.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

I'm not B3 cork sniffer, but I think that once you run one of these VST's (B3x/Vb3) through a real mic'ed up Leslie, you'll fool pretty much anyone in a full band mix. Awhile back, I  produced an album for a band where the keyboard player tracked with an Xk3 through a weird hodge-podge solid state Leslie with a tube preamp.  Seeing the midi out plug on the XK3, I grabbed a midi cable into the DAW as well.  When i mixed the album, i discarded his audio tracks and just ran the midi track through VB3  (V1 not II) and into my mic'ed up Leslie 145. Years later and the guy is still raving about what a great sound I managed to get out of his organ.

I'm glad you mention VB3-1. Except for a problem or 2 it might be my 2nd favorite of all time.

First problem,  is not iOS and likely won't ever be.

Second, the distortion is after the wrong gainstage in the organ simulation so it's almost impossible to get the sweet spot without getting a crackle thing happening if you want Steppenwolf. 

The leslie was far ahead of it's time and the feel is more organlike than the feel of b3x which is kind of synthlike. Vb3m is like a ultralite limited version of vb3-1 in sound. To me Vb3-2 is a distant cousin.

FunMachine.

Since they've announced the debut on their site, I guess I'm not spilling any secrets, but I wouldn't buy anything else until you've heard this one.  Definitely raises the bar (or should I say Bus bars 😆) for virtual Hammond Organ. 

Blue3.jpg

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

Since they've announced the debut on their site, I guess I'm not spilling any secrets, but I wouldn't buy anything else until you've heard this one.  Definitely raises the bar (or should I say Bus bars 😆) for virtual Hammond Organ. 

Blue3.jpg

Wow! Damn excited about this - yet to be disappointed by any Cherry release so looking forward to this one :thu: 

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, pretty much anything through a real Leslie beats anything through a sim. 😉 The problem is, nobody wants to carry a 145 or 122 to a gig these days, so we settle.

I like the EH Lester.

I'm pretty much using B-3X and Waterfall exclusively these days (depending upon the track), but I always use B-3X live (because its MIDI mapping / real-time control is better than Waterfall's).

I never cared for the sound of Blue3 under GG Audio's watch, but if @Steve Nathan is liking Cherry Audio's take on it, then I'm paying attention.

• Like 1

We've been talking about Cherry taking over the Blue3 for several days now. 🙂 I guess people missed it because the conversation reverted to other choices later.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

2 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

We've been talking about Cherry taking over the Blue3 for several days now. 🙂 I guess people missed it because the conversation reverted to other choices later.

I didn't see that thread.

My question, is cherry audio going to continue support for the ios version of blue3? It would be their only ios product as far as I can see.

I think the key click and percussion is pretty far below b3x. Sweeps and smears don't sound right either. The leslie is a notch below vb3m or b3x.

Bit i did find it fun and it has like a gajillion tonewheel sets and lots of tonewheel adjustments.  I wonder if cherry will improve it before releasing it and if us iOS-ers are left out in the cold. 

FunMachine.

I only vaguely remember listening to Blue 3 when it came out, and moving on, but I’m guessing that much like they did with Mike Martin’s Wurly, Cherry’s wizards have made vast improvements. 
we may quibble over “key click” this or “scanner” that, but in the basic “sounds like real tonewheels and tubes” scale, I think they’ve got something here. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I didn't see that thread.

It was this very thread, one page back! 🙂

As for Gospel Musicians, I can't even remember anymore if they had already done an organ or just electric pianos, as they have reconfigured their lineup and the underlying engine so many times. I kept buying into the re-do's on the e-piano stuff but then other products came along and I got tired of recreating all my settings from scratch every time they switched engines. I can't even remember the order anymore, and whether the final version was their own engine or whether that came before the UVI version, just that the Kontakt library was the one I had the easiest time configuring to my needs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Looking forward to see if Blue3 has something new in store :)  

It occurred to me that while I do like to stay "in the box" a pretty easy hookup--if it works, and it should--would be to take my ipad and use it as basically an old school midi module running B-3x being triggered by notes from Logic Pro (computer version).   :)   One cable should be all I need, the usb handling both midi and audio.  i'll be trying that out today with my new 9th gen ipad bought in the recent sale!   I really want to see how much better I like (assuming I do) B-3X than Logic's organ.  

Not seeing the Blue3 love in any examples out there new or old (and what's with the cheesy smooth jazz drowning it out in almost every example? Can we just hear demos of the vst alone being played so we can understand the scope?).

It's not terrible at all, about par for the vst b3 course but scope/coverage seems quite minimal and still unfortunately sounds like a vst.  Reminds me of years now of Yamahas B3 aim (which is just so-so).
Love many of Cherry Audio's VSTs but Blue 3 wouldn't make the shopping cart.