Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wishing for a bare-bones/no-frills digital piano

3 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

And a nice short review demonstrating the sounds 🙂 Okay, sales pitch over 😉

I actually bought my Kawai Acoustic Grand... and my Montage from Rudi at Better Music. He was a popular guy and quite a veteran of expertise for a long time there. I believe he moved on a couple of years ago to work with Roland.🙂

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

All digital pianos feel the same. There are slight differences to the touch and the piano sound but they are all too close to be worth it to upgrade from a P121. The only significant step is moving up to a hybrid digital piano. The NU1X is the cheapest possible option, although still a bit expensive. But once you play one, you will see why.

some great suggestions and chat, thank you all!

nearly all the recommendations here are slab pianos. There are plenty of those that fit the bill.

But I was thinking a nice furniture style DP, sorry, should have made that clearer.

I dig my p121, but I want a more luxurious action, maybe longer & wooden keys, more wood on the case & less plastic. I'm worth it! ;)

The furniture style pianos have control panels and even touch screens. No thanks!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Another vote for me for the Kawai ES920

I've played extensively (and/or owned) P-125, Kawai ES520, Kawai ES920 and Yamaha P-515 and I can say the ES920 was the best out of them for me in all categories.

The only thing missing in the ES920 that's better on the P515 for me was a Honky Tonk Piano and a great Church Organ sound - the Kawais have a worse one for sure.

But all the rest of them - Pianos, Rhodes, non church organs and what not are best on the Kawai out of the list provided.

The biggest upgrade betweem the 520 to the 920 is the keyboard action which is the sole reason to get the 920 over the 520. The 520's keybed isn't very realistic since it doesn't have any counterweights. The 920 is trying to immitate a full length key with folded weights and it's pretty good - you should try it first hand.

Speakers suck on all of them suffice to say. Once you hook up monitors or headphones it's a done deal. But for gigs as a self monitor and home practice sure.

I've actually gigged with the ES920 built in speakers on some smaller stuff (when I was solo or duo at most, no drum set) and worked out great.

Casio has the New PS-X series but I can't vouch for how good or bad it is. The sounds are not the best in the industry but are plentiful and cover the best ground - more so than the other makers.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

15 hours ago, stoken6 said:

What is your budget Woody? And what aren't you getting from the P121?

Dave Ferris's P515 and a Kawai MP7 or MP11 would be my choices in the "premium, but not outrageous" price bracket.

Cheers, Mike.

Most of the suggested slabs can be had with stand and triple pedal and are generally the most affordable models to function as a console.  

A step up from the slabs with stand and triple pedal would like a Yamaha Clavinova or Kawai console.  But you have to share your budget. 

https://kawaius.com/pianos/digital-pianos/

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm not familiar with console models. I imagine some must include some kind of concealing panel that can leave no controls or screen visibly exposed, beyond a power button and volume knob? I can see why people might not want an electronic visual aesthetic in their living room.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, konaboy said:

some great suggestions and chat, thank you all!

nearly all the recommendations here are slab pianos. There are plenty of those that fit the bill.

But I was thinking a nice furniture style DP, sorry, should have made that clearer.

I dig my p121, but I want a more luxurious action, maybe longer & wooden keys, more wood on the case & less plastic. I'm worth it! ;)

The furniture style pianos have control panels and even touch screens. No thanks!

Sounds like a niche market in the making…

Will be starting a kickstarter for this concept, and I foresee at least one early adopter 🔮

1. No buttons - turns itself on when opening the key cover or when siting on the bench

2. No screen 

3. Single sound profile 

4. Spatial Audio internal speakers,

5. Zero latency Bluetooth Headphone and Stereo Aux out

6. Bluetooth Midi - for off board controls and loading new sound profile

Doh !!!

oh good… it has a screen and buttons with options, im still in the game!!!

PEACE

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

All digital pianos feel the same. There are slight differences to the touch and the piano sound but they are all too close to be worth it to upgrade from a P121. The only significant step is moving up to a hybrid digital piano. The NU1X is the cheapest possible option, although still a bit expensive. But once you play one, you will see why.

I personally disagree. All digital pianos are not the same. There is a big difference between manufacturers and a chasm between low end and high end in both sound and playability. 

Does my Kawai concert artist beat my 120 year old Bluthner upright? Absolutely not but my Bluthner beats 99% of acoustic upright pianos too. Does the Kawai beat a modern acoustic piano from Yamaha? In my opinion, yes it does. I much prefer it. 

I've yet to spend much time on a hybrid but plan to investigate them this year. I expect to see lcd and touch screens creeping into them, if they are not already so they may not help the OP that much. A custom made wooden panel to hide things may be the answer. 

The Kawai ES920 seems to crop up a lot. Coupled with its furniture type stand it’s quite a nice piece of kit. Haven’t played one yet, but I did play the 520, action was ok but apparently the 920 has great action, like my CA35 Kawai home piano. Even though I don’t like the 520 action I thought the pianos were beautiful. Ana awful lot of character in there and plenty of room for manipulation. Other than that I’d say maybe the newer Casio P series with the built in stands?

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

30 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I think that you are looking for this product:   https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=3

That looks really cool in my opinion. Sad to see it is discontinued. Only 20kg as well, not bad.

If they could add a piano sample then something like that, with detachable legs, would be a great option for wedding ceremony work etc. I have one of those DutchGrand shells but it is bigger than that Crumar and is a little awkward for getting into the car. In fact, it doesn’t fit in my current car, a Mazda 3. 

Crumar Babygrand with piano sample would be great!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

55 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

Does the Kawai [digital piano] beat a modern acoustic piano from Yamaha? In my opinion, yes it does.

No digital piano beats any semi-decent new acoustic piano, especially a Yamaha that provides a very consistent and expectable quality across their entire range. Stating otherwise really puts your credibility at doubt, at least in my eyes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

No digital piano beats any semi-decent new acoustic piano, especially a Yamaha that provides a very consistent and expectable quality across their entire range. Stating otherwise really puts your credibility at doubt, at least in my eyes. 

Completely agree. Even Kawai James prefers Yamaha acoustics to Kawai digitals. 

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

6 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Even Kawai James prefers Yamaha acoustics to Kawai digitals. 

He’s very honest and I’ve seen him also mentioning competing brands and models (to Kawai). And he himself uses a Nord Electro. 

I think many people will choose a good acoustic grand piano over any digital piano. And Yamaha may not be everyone’s dream pianos but I believe many people would agree they are at least good. Good enough to be better than a Kawai digital piano 🙂

BTW, that’s not a Kawai bashing. I’d prefer a modern Kawai acoustic piano over any Clavinova too. 

• Like 1

If only there were a DP that had the same action as my RD-1000.  Since having carpal tunnel 5 years ago, my hands haven't been the same, and every DP I've had my hands on has been miserable and hard to play.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Firstly, apologies for the OP, I seem to have developed a habit of derailing threads. 

OK, to save my credibility 😂, let me expand. 

I was lucky enough to grow up in a household with a beautiful Bluthner piano. I learned to play on it. I inherited it from my late father. No other upright acoustic piano I have played has come close. 

I have played a newish Yamaha upright quite frequently. It doesn't do much for me. It is probably a lovely instrument but it isn't my Bluthner and just leaves me cold. I don't enjoy playing it. I have the same feelings about most upright pianos, they just aren't in the same class. I would never choose to own one. 

I don't have the same feelings playing my Kawai. Maybe it is because my expectations are lower. It's only a digital piano. It isn't expected to be any better. Whatever the reason, I love my playing my Kawai almost as much as the Bluthner. Late at night it wins every time due to headphones. Again, in just my opinion, it is the best in class for a digital piano. I don't like a lot of other digital pianos. Therefore in a room with just the Kawai and the Yamaha, I would play the Kawai every time. To me, it is better. 

I guess this won't make sense to everyone - especially to someone who thinks all digital pianos are the same. Are you a guitarist by any chance 😂

I'll close by saying that digital pianos have come an enormous way from the early clavinovas I played in the 80s. They will never be a better acoustic piano because they are not the same, they are a different type of instrument. Better or worse as a musical instrument is more subjective. Give me a digital piano in a venue rather than a beat up out of tune acoustic piano any day. 

• Like 2

He’s very honest and I’ve seen him also mentioning competing brands and models (to Kawai). And he himself uses a Nord Electro. 

I think many people will choose a good acoustic grand piano over any digital piano. And Yamaha may not be everyone’s dream pianos but I believe many people would agree they are at least good. Good enough to be better than a Kawai digital piano 🙂

BTW, that’s not a Kawai bashing. I’d prefer a modern Kawai acoustic piano over any Clavinova too. 

Agreed. I always find Kawai James wise and impartial. A good guy

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

1 hour ago, Ibarch said:

I guess this won't make sense to everyone - especially to someone who thinks all digital pianos are the same. Are you a guitarist by any chance 😂

I think I can play the intro to Nothing Else Matters, so I can also be called a guitarist, if nothing else matters 😀

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I think I can play the intro to Nothing Else Matters, so I can also be called a guitarist, if nothing else matters 😀

My kid always does this.  She can play other things. But that open string picking thing is a “bop” so to speak.  

• Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, TheophilusCarter said:

Thanks for the link, wonder what the OP thinks of this… Im no Kaneko, but will be seeking a local showroom to hear for myself!

• Like 1

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre