Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Theme songs you cannot skip when watching TV shows.

Whether streaming shows or watching them on DVD/Bluray, two nice options when watching reruns this way is no commercials and skipping the opening theme and closing credits. There is one show in my current rotation that I cannot bring myself to skip. The theme to The Jetsons. Yes, I watch the Jetsons. I also have The Flintstones in my current rotation. Anyway, The Jetsons theme may be my favorite ever. Very well written and performed. It is only 55 seconds long and I enjoy listening to it every time.

Is there any theme song that you always listen to rather than skip over?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Lucky Hank - Sounds like a Farfisa doing the melody. Like it better than the show maybe.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 4/23/2023 at 12:57 AM, Shamanzarek said:

Lucky Hank - Sounds like a Farfisa doing the melody. Like it better than the show maybe.

Yep love this theme and what a great show to boot.

My pick:

So many…

To the selections above, I’d add the old British TV series The Avengers, The Munsters, and a deep cut personal fave, Mannix.

Hawaii Five-0 is still probably my personal fave, if I had to pick one…

…oh, and gotta mention The Odd Couple.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Just now, Dave Bryce said:

So many…

To the selections above, I’d add the old British TV series The Avengers, The Munsters, and a deep cut personal fave, Mannix.

Hawaii Five-0 is still probably my personal fave, if I had to pick one…

…oh, and gotta mention The Odd Couple.

dB

The Munsters theme ruled!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

36 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

and a deep cut personal fave, Mannix.

Not only did I arrange this Lalo Schiffrin beauty for my high school stage band, I bought a '69 Dart 340 Swinger because of Mike Connors (didn't have the bread for a convertible or the GT package - the 4 speed was enough).

• Love 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I don't really have any that I watch every time. The closest is probably:

Star Trek: The Original Series

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

In one of my first bands, we played a revved-up punk version of "The Munsters Theme", so that has to be thrown into the mix as well.

Hawaii Five-0

Mannix

Rockford Files

Always loved the Jetsons, in fact my college-years band attempted a rock version of it up to the point of the lyric:  "Jane, his wife!" --then instant cut into Jane by Jefferson Starship.  We thought it was clever at least :)  

Lots of good older ones, many of which have been mentioned.  

More recently than many mentioned, the Sopranos had a great intro.  Game of Thrones, both the music and the map animations (which would change as the events of the show happened). The first season of True Detective's theme is good and really fits the mood of the show (by Tbone Burnett)

• Like 2

Personal favorite: McHale’s Navy. Axel Stordahl wrote the original theme, but when season three came around Frank Comstock re-arraigned it, and found the baddest bass clarinet and tuba players to kick ass with it. Even the tag at the credit roll had a different, hipper ending.

Go to 3:41 for the tag theme.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Gotta go with another British show- Death in Paradise. The theme is "You're Wondering Now"- originally by Andy & Joey, later covered by the Skatalites, the Specials, and Amy Winehouse. Puts me in a good mood every time! (The show is silly/mediocre but the theme is perfect)

The Star Wars Series: ANDOR is a game changer for me.

The concept of each episode being layered into the next, building to a crescendo of musical emotions beyond a single theme. This really builds the storyline well beyond the expected content of the show.

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

I have been re-watching HBO's The Sopranos - I listen to that theme with every episode (I'm now in Season 4).  Great theme IMHO.

I also greatly enjoyed the theme for HBO's Treme, which I think was written and performed by New Orleans' own John Boutte.

Special Mention for the Johnny Quest cartoon show theme (nice example of big band jazz music from 60's TV shows).

• Like 1

+1 for ER mentioned earlier. Also, almost anything by Mark Snow (X-Files, Millennium, etc.) and Barry Gray (XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Space 1999, etc.). Oh and that wonderful Badalamenti music... :cry: