Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 4 Announced

1 hour ago, ImproKeys said:

I am returning it - but mostly because of build quality issues (a few keys are not correctly aligned).

Thank you for sharing this.  Would it be too much trouble to ask if you can post photos of your keys out of alignment to see?  I also have a first batch Stage 4 HA 73 on order in the US and I had issues with an early release of the Kurzweil Forte 7 that I sent back and got another for issues with their variant of of the TP-40.  I have never had issues with the keys on the Nord HA but I know others have and I'd like to see what yours looks like for awareness if that's ok.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

3 hours ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Thank you for sharing this.  Would it be too much trouble to ask if you can post photos of your keys out of alignment to see?  I also have a first batch Stage 4 HA 73 on order in the US and I had issues with an early release of the Kurzweil Forte 7 that I sent back and got another for issues with their variant of of the TP-40.  I have never had issues with the keys on the Nord HA but I know others have and I'd like to see what yours looks like for awareness if that's ok.

Shure! The keys work, but I refuse to accept this on a new instrument like this. 

F6194D22-E81B-480D-B5C3-FDE1F1301A21.jpeg

1717B18E-C02D-47F8-A5B1-0041E529F878.jpeg

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Does the externally-controller layer respond to aftertouch/wheels on the NS4 itself? 

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, it does. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Pretty sweet sounding here, if not groundbreaking. Long-term I think my plan at this time is to shift from the PC4 to a Stage 4 HA88 as my main gig board.

Thanks for posting that, MMM. I like how the NS4 moves away from the Panel A/B structure. Really dig those three sliders. I wish it went more in depth on the MIDI controller functions (e.g., to control and/or play another synth from the NS4), although it seems the emphasis was to demonstrate what it can do, internally, as a stand-alone board.

In terms of the VA synth, I’ve always been a fan of the Nord Lead A1, as we know from which the VA engine in the NS3 is derived. Having never played a Wave, how do the two generally compare? Do they sound substantially different?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I may have GAS…is it time to sell some gear again and try a Nord for the 1st time?

My hesitations include - the hassle of selling my gear, no audio interface and no XLR outs for a very expensive instrument.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

20 hours ago, Motif88 said:

I may have GAS…is it time to sell some gear again and try a Nord for the 1st time?

My hesitations include - the hassle of selling my gear, no audio interface and no XLR outs for a very expensive instrument.

At least the latter two drawbacks are easily rectified with external gear. It would be worse if "my hesitations include - crappy action".

We mentioned in another thread that XLRs without DI-style isolation risk damaging your instrument if phantom power is inadvertently applied, so a separate DI box is definitely a good idea.

I see a lot of softsynths in your sig, but running on a Mac Studio. Do you need/use softsynths live (and need an audio interface)?

Regards, Mike.

Haven’t played live in years. Home studio use only. Agreed, a Focusrite interface solves the problem for another $150+ which makes my point. 

Not sure about the Nord Stage 4 88 action vs the RD-2000 PHA50 action. I haven’t seen a lot of feedback on the Fatar keyboard on the Nord. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Well, I guess GAS got the best of me… No, not the Stage 4 yet, but I did order the Osmose.

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

I know this probably still premature but do we have any definitive info on the Nord Stage 4 88 action? Not the fact that is now has "triple sensors" but the actual Fatar action being used.

I haven’t seen a lot of feedback on the Fatar keyboard on the Nord. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Using:

Sold/Traded:

On 4/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, Motif88 said:

Haven’t played live in years. Home studio use only.

The Nord Stage 4 (NS4) is a live performance-oriented KB. 

Not off limits to whoever wants to buy one for studio use but the NS4 is clearly aimed at gigging musicians. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

19 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Not off limits to whoever wants to buy one for studio use but the NS4 is clearly aimed at gigging musicians. 😎

True.  But when I do studio work, I find that I can dial in agreeable sounds very quickly, as it's the same workflow and I'm familiar with everything on the board.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

2 hours ago, Motif88 said:

I know this probably still premature but do we have any definitive info on the Nord Stage 4 88 action? Not the fact that is now has "triple sensors" but the actual Fatar action being used.

I haven’t seen a lot of feedback on the Fatar keyboard on the Nord. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Jack Duxbury said in one video it is the same as the NS3 88, which would make it a Fatar TP-40 M, but with triple sensors. I have friends who know the specifics of the Piano 5, and one specifically who has both a Piano 5 and NS488. He has said the actions in the two, while similar, are not the same in feel or responsiveness.  Having owed an Ns388, RD-2000, and Piano 5, I can say that of those three- the best in terms of piano feel is the PHA-50. I personally prefer the Yamaha NW-GH in the CP/YC88. It is fast, extremely responsive and feels great. Not as heavy as the PHA-50. The Fatar TP-40 H in the Piano 5, is quite a bit lighter that either the Roland or Yamaha, and the TP-40M In the Stage 3 88, is lighter still. However, you still have the TP-40L inside the Kurzweil Forte for example.. which is even lighter than a Stage 3. 

• Like 1

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

22 hours ago, ProfD said:

Not sure I understand your logic. I guess I should have never used my Oberheim Modular 8 Voice or other workstations to play live? But I did. It’s not just about live gigs, it’s about workflow, inspiration and how can I “create” without the encumbrance of menu diving…

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

50 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Not sure I understand your logic. I guess I should have never used my Oberheim Modular 8 Voice or other workstations to play live? But I did. 

Surely, every KB instrument can be used on stage and/or in the studio. 

The Nord Stage is marketed as a stage piano which makes it an interesting choice for home use only as mentioned by the OP. 

But again, nothing prevents a musician from using any instrument as they choose...studio or stage.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

15 hours ago, ProfD said:

Surely, every KB instrument can be used on stage and/or in the studio. 

The Nord Stage is marketed as a stage piano which makes it an interesting choice for home use only as mentioned by the OP. 

But again, nothing prevents a musician from using any instrument as they choose...studio or stage.😎

Agreed... I use the RD-2000 as my main controller which is also a "Stage Piano" as defined by Roland. It's all about inspiration and workflow. Oddly, after dropping workstations several years ago in favor of software synths I have an itch to have a more performance oriented instrument and less menu/mouse diving. Hence the interest in the Stage 4.

Cheers!

Using:

Sold/Traded:

34 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Agreed... I use the RD-2000 as my main controller which is also a "Stage Piano" as defined by Roland. It's all about inspiration and workflow. Oddly, after dropping workstations several years ago in favor of software synths I have an itch to have a more performance oriented instrument and less menu/mouse diving. Hence the interest in the Stage 4.

Cheers!

Yep. The definition and target audience and practical usage lines have blurred.😁

IMO, today's ROMplers and digital pianos (DPs) like the RD-2000 offer more in terms of sounds and features and are a better value than dedicated MIDI KB controllers.

Enjoy the Nord Stage 4 if it becomes the final answer.😎

PD

On 3/25/2023 at 10:56 AM, stoken6 said:

I'm trying to tell myself that my Nord Stage 2 does all I ask, and I don't need the third synth engine and the more sophisticated capabilities in the 4. Keep reminding me I'm right, please...

Cheers, Mike.

So I'm subbing for a friend in a few weeks, and already there are several areas where the Stage 4 would be helpful, compared to my Stage 2:

- The ability to play two piano sections from an external controller (which can only transmit on a single MIDI channel)

- The ability to pitch-bend +2/-12

- Three synth sections (strings, horns and monosynth)

First world problems?

Cheers, Mike.

Really, the only question I see is whether you can hold off long enough for street prices to drop a bit. 

It doesn't sound like you will, though, so just start budgeting already. 😝

• Haha 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 16251 said:

This is why I pass on Nord. Is this suppose to be an acoustic piano?

Yep. One person's pass is I'll take it to someone else.😁

That Nord Stage 4 demo just sold a few units to church musicians throughout America. 🤣

Justin Stanton (Snarky Puppy) uses a Nord for an acoustic piano sound. It works within the context of their music.😎

PD

35 minutes ago, 16251 said:

This is why I pass on Nord. Is this suppose to be an acoustic piano?

Well, no. That’s pretty clearly a layered patch, with potentially no AP in the mix.

Nord’s got some beautiful AP samples, made even more workable through their versatile tweaking options.

This isn’t that. You might as well show ping-pong and say “This is why I hate tennis.”

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

17 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Well, no. That’s pretty clearly a layered patch, with potentially no AP in the mix.

Nord’s got some beautiful AP samples, made even more workable through their versatile tweaking options.

This isn’t that. You might as well show ping-pong and say “This is why I hate tennis.”

It kind of sounds like an RMI.  Hey, I never said I didn't like the sound of the acoustic pianos on Nord when I hear other ppl playing it (not here.)  When I played it (I owned a Piano3,) it reminds me of this. I'm fine with ppl playing and paying for Nord.

btw - i love ping pong.

• Like 1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

4 minutes ago, 16251 said:

It kind of sounds like an RMI.  Hey, I never said I didn't like the sound of the acoustic pianos on Nord when I hear other ppl playing it (not here.)  When I played it (I owned a Piano3,) it reminds me of this. I'm fine with ppl playing and paying for Nord.

btw - i love ping pong.

That dichotomy (sounds great when others play it, people don't like it themselves) comes up not infrequently. I have to think it's the "tweaking" factor. You really have to A/B (...C/D/E etc) all the options across string resonance, pedal noise, touch, detuning layers, and other options to bring out the potential of those samples. (A mistake on Nord's part IMO. Ditto the organ. It's "in there," you just have dig [too hard].) Also, as I think @Dave Ferris and @Al Quinn--neither one a slouch--have both noted, recordings sound great, live can be a challenge. I don't know why this is. Maybe there is some phase cancellation inherent in the sampling process, and running those two channels separately avoids it? I'm not sure, but I trust both those sets of ears to be correct about this (for them).

About ping-pong we agree. Everyone else bought breadmakers and stationery bikes during the pandemic; we got a ping-pong table. Priorities, people!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

recordings sound great, live can be a challenge

Yes.  The onboard EQ and compression can cover in 95% of situations.  For that last 5%, I've found I need an external compressor and EQ, much like you'd find on any digital mixer or DAW.  When you listen to most recordings of a Nord piano, they all sound like they're using some nice compression and EQ.  The only ones that aren't appear to be the short recordings associated with the sample itself.   This is part of why your pianos always sound better they audience than they do to you -- audience members get the benefit of a bit of natural compression and EQ by being some distance from the PA speakers. 

There's a discussion about this going on right now on the Nord User Forum.  Looks like there might be some improvement in the NS4.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Had a few hours to play my new Stage 4 88 last night. The new pianos with triple sensor keybed are quite lovely.  There's a compressor in the piano section with 3 settings. Using my home PA and backing tracks, that setting helped move the piano forward in the mix.  Since it's a button vs setting buried in a menu somewhere, its quick & easy to audition.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:45 PM, Moonglow said:

I like how the NS4 moves away from the Panel A/B structure. Really dig those three sliders. I wish it went more in depth on the MIDI controller functions (e.g., to control and/or play another synth from the NS4)

This is one of the best features of the S4. With seamless transitions, programs flow into each other.  No abrupt EFX changes. If you use one of synth layers for external control, you lose the ability to use that particular synth layer in the S4. 

• Like 1