Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 4 Announced

Edit: this link from Clavia is official, confirmed Stage 4. 

This was just uploaded to the Nord Instagram page. 

I see an organ section with hybrid drawfaders and physical drawbars, along with several sets of green LED faders as seen on the Wave 2. Couple of those blue (OLED?) screens too. 

We can speculate all week about the screenshot, but it seems all will be revealed on Thursday. 

3C6B3C32-EBAE-4221-BEB1-AB0CD199C63E.jpeg

• Like 2

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I don’t have much of a wish list as I could happily buy a Stage 3 today and be content for at least another 10 years…but if they add audio over USB that would be pretty cool. It’s such a handy feature to have in this day and age. 

• Love 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I seriously doubt this will happen, but my wish list is also that they incorporate a 73/76 size with the higher quality piano action like they did with the Nord Piano 5 73.

If they had one in that size that wasn't the TP/100 Hammer Portable I would go ahead and preorder, especially as someone who just sold a YC88 to ideally go a size smaller/lighter and I would be happy to consolidate having a Stage 3 Compact and another Piano down to one board instead of 2.

I doubt this will happen, though.  They had a winner, in my opinion with the Stage 2 HA76 and went with the HP when the Stage 2EX came out to cut travel weight down.  That was a shame.

I was looking for either a Piano 5 73 or a Kronos 2 73 but will hold for the time being to think about my next move depending on what Nord is doing here.

• Like 2

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I'm definitely interested, but I'm fairly sure it will be out of my price range.  I'll just sharpie "Nord Stage .5" on my Modx :)   I've never spent even $3k on a keyboard, I'm not sure I'm physically capable of it.  To be fair, I've mostly bought used.  We'll see if this comes in at 6K or something for the big 88.

• Like 1

It is fun to speculate. So I wish some of these led faders indicate that you could layer multiple synth instances (but that would be a Wave 2).

Back to a good key action and Audio over USB (class compliant), please.

Then I will strongly consider updating from my Stage 2 HA.

3 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

It is fun to speculate. So I wish some of these led faders indicate that you could layer multiple synth instances (but that would be a Wave 2).

Back to a good key action and Audio over USB (class compliant), please.

Then I will strongly consider updating from my Stage 2 HA.

Stage 2/Stage 3 allow you to layer two different synths. Or are you hoping for dynamic morphing? That would be marvellous, indeed. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Looks like some thoughtful updates to a new Stage.  An updated organ model would be good (Nice that it has the drawbars with lightbars - like the YC keyboards). It also appears to have level indicators similar to the Wave 2; maybe sliders for an expanded synth section, plus organ and piano? Adding audio over USB would be great, and I'm guessing there will be other helpful upgrades.

As much as new features would be useful to have, I'll be sticking with my Stage 3, 76.  It works well as a single keyboard for small-stage gigs, and doubles up well over my YC88 for larger gigs - on which it becomes my go-to live axe for synths and organs - though I much prefer the transistor organs in the YC. The tonewheel section is getting a little dated, but for anything specialized I'll use Hammond/IK MM's B3-X.  Meanwhile, I'm fine with the two-zone synth model in the Stage 3.  If I need more, there are a couple other hardware options I can choose. 

If a Stage 88 happened to be my main or only keyboard though, I'd be taking a serious look at this one. 

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Been reading the Nord forum (six pages of replies already) and looks like quite a bit is changing.   So only have to wait a couple more days.   

When I saw Sweetwater with $1000 off on all the Nord Stage models last night I knew release had to be soon. 

I just bought a second Nord Stage 3 88 two weeks ago because of the lowered price, but I did it with the knowledge that a Stage 4 was likely in the works. If it looks interesting enough, I may put a Stage 3 up for sale and take the leap. The 4 would need to not have a huge price bump for me to consider it though, as I’m happy with the 3 as is.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I predict... 

Piano section moves from 2gb to 3 or 4gb and polyphony rises from 120 to 256.  

Synth section moves from 480mb to 968mb and polyphony rises from 34 to 64 or something like that.  

Possibly some new FX and or updating of existing models.  

Do they believe their organ section needs an update?  It's hard to say.  But newer desktop OS and iOS software models should inspire thought on that. 

Otherwise - will it be compelling enough for Stage 3 owners to upgrade?  Probably not.  But maybe Stage or Stage 2 owners are itchy. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 hours ago, analogika said:

Stage 2/Stage 3 allow you to layer two different synths. Or are you hoping for dynamic morphing? That would be marvellous, indeed. 

Yes, that's exactly what I am hoping. I've run into situations where two sample slots weren't enough.

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

Been reading the Nord forum (six pages of replies already) and looks like quite a bit is changing.   So only have to wait a couple more days.   

When I saw Sweetwater with $1000 off on all the Nord Stage models last night I knew release had to be soon. 

This after they raised the prices by about $1000 a year or so before.  So they are basically back to the old prices.  I find it pretty funny that Guitar Center used prices, last I checked, were mostly higher than new.   

Over/under on this being $6000?  I'm going to say....under.  $5999  :) 

My Nord Stage wish list is pretty small and it mostly revolves around how limited the effects section is. Let's pray they can add to it without killing it.

Drawbars are a big plus right off the bat.

I wonder if it will come in black?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Oh, just call me when they release it as a plug-in. 😴 Boy, I'm just brimming with Nerve™ over the matter, huh?  

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

1 hour ago, EricBarker said:

Just checked the prices on Sweetwater. Same as they were 2 months ago. $3500 - $4200. First looked mid-Dec when I got my raise.

By that time I think they went on "sale", meaning they had returned from their trip to the stratosphere.  That was iirc about a year ago, maybe more...I was in the market for a NS3 and that rapidly put me out of the market.  It was more than $5200 for the big Nord and similar raised prices for the Electro.  There are 5 used ones on Guitar Center (excellent or great condition) that are 4399 and up, those were obviously put up during the price hikes and for whatever reason the managers are going to try to get more than new prices for them.     Normally used GC prices are at least 20% off or so, sometimes a lot more.

Someone help me out here: Doesn't it seem like the Stage 3 wasn't out for very long?  It seemed to me like the Stage 2 in it's various incarnations was around for much longer?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

Someone help me out here: Doesn't it seem like the Stage 3 wasn't out for very long?  It seemed to me like the Stage 2 in it's various incarnations was around for much longer?

Time Flies during the era of COVID, don't it? Nord Stage 3 has been out since 2017. Longest iteration of the board since the brand was created. But 2017 feels like yesterday, doesn't it? So I don't blame you.

• Like 3

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I'm going to be perfectly honest... I'm not sure I care all that much about the Drawbar LEDs. I barely ever use presets on my Mojo, and when I do, I just accept that they don't match up with the drawbars. This takes me back to about 5 years ago on the KC, when I first started coming around here it was for advice on buying a clonewheel. I was deathly afraid of not having access to a lot of organ presets. Someone told me "get over it, B3s are best without presets anyway". I just dove in, learned some key registrations, and figured the rest out on my own, and now I barely touch the presets, only if I'm playing synth bass at the same time and need to jump into a soft pad registration in a split second.

But yeah, never missed having fancy LEDs on the Mojo, why would I care about them on the Nord? They're snazzy, but I'm probably not going to be using organ presets much anyway. The one thing is I could never go back from using real drawbars. I smash a bunch with my hand, make shapes to emphasize certain ranges. I can get close to my preferred registration in about 1/4 of a second. That's never going to happen with buttons. Glad they got rid of them for all models.

Finally... I wonder if there's a way of turning the LEDs off? They look bright, and might be distracting. Considering these are technically "Draw Faders" where the numbers aren't printed on the bar, the numbers are a bit smaller and you have to align them a bit more closely. I mean, who really looks at the numbers much anyway... but still, the LEDs look potentially distracting.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

11 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

In reality this is the fourth generation of the Stage. They were released in 2005, 2011, 2017 and 2023. Guess when the Nord Stage 5 is planned 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vonnor said:

There goes @eric's budget for the year...

No, I think Eric has gone more towards stability and patience.  First releases can have some hardware issues that aren't found until they are out in the wild and it definitely can take Nord a year to stabilize the software and fix bugs.  I think Eric resists the GAS and waits a year to have it stabilize unless he is selling off an older Stage 2 from the barn.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries