Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Join our C BLUES SCALE challenge

Hi,

Reluctant to self promote my own content, but on the other hand, I'd love for some of you to participate, if you want...

Use my backing track and do an improvisation, on any instrument, using just the notes from the C BLUES SCALE and nothing else! It's harder than you might think, well it was for me.

Backing tracks here:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/i-suck-at-blues-77865804

Upload your performance video to YouTube, and email me the link. I'll put all the submissions together into a compilation video and share on my channel :)

Sound like fun?

• Like 7
hang out with me at woody piano shack

thanks for your interest! fear not, i'm not too strict (but the viewers will innevitably call you out) :)  B natural in blues scale, not for me, unless a grace note. if you're playing the bebop yeanj, throw it in.

no idea about natural and relative.  the 5 note C blues scale played over a 12 bar blues in C is widely known as C Eb F F# G Bb :)

That's the full extent of my musical theory knowledge... :D

So....normal/natural C blues is C Eb F F# G Bb B C (yes, I include B as part of the C blue scales). 

The "relative" C blues scale is C D Eb E G Ab A C.  It is called "relative" because you are using the normal/natural blues scale of the relative minor of C (the A blues scale).

So when I play a C blues scale, I am usually playing from both the normal/natural blues and relative blues scales, depending on what type of sound or tone I want at any given moment.  I think of the normal/natural blues scales as "urban" and the relative blues scale as "country".

But I am guessing you are more interested in contestants using the normal/natural blues scale.

• Like 1

To add to JamPro, I also use other tones when I play blues, I counted them in total as 12. My theory is not very strong but some people call it a C chromatic scale although a smarty pants once told me it was a Db chromatic scale instead. In any case I think we should provide for more diversity, equity and inclusion in this challenge 😉

Do you actually mean the C minor pentatonic scale? That is only a "blues scale" in the strictest sense of the word. 

There is a reason so many great blues artists play slide guitar, go have a listen to Son House just for one. 

Real blues often uses notes that are not on the tempered scale, the third and the seventh are often a bit "flat" or "sharp" depending on what's being said. 

Flatted fifth has it's place as well. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

When you are playing, you can use any notes you want.

When you are playing “blues scales,” you are talking about something very specific. There are a couple of versions of this. Neither version includes the approach tone, though again, in practice, you can do whatever you’d like.

OP is referring to the SIX- (not five-) note minor blues scale in C, which would be C-Eb-F-F#(or Gb)-G-Bb.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

OP:
"Here's your challenge: play only these 6 notes."

Us:
"OK, but can we play some other notes too?"
"When you say only those six, do you also mean an additional and different six notes?"
"How strict are you being about the 6 part. For example, could we play 7 or, just spitballing, even 10 or 12 notes if we wanted to?"

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

15 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

OP:

Us:
"When you say only those six, do you also mean an additional and different six notes?"
"How strict are you being about the 6 part. For example, could we play 7 or, just spitballing, even 10 or 12 notes if we wanted to?"

Thanks. that sums it up perfectly.  Unbelievable! 🤦

This is not the "Play the best blues solo you possibly can" challenge.

Nevertheless, I've heard many fabulous sounding solos, using just the notes of the blues scale.

This is simply a fun exercise. The aim is also to involve less experienced players who will likely find it easier to construct a blues solo using that scale.

I wonder, If I had posted the challenge on a guitar forum, they be like, "ok cool!" :D

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

OP:

Us:

🤣 

Folks like Chuck Leavell have created great music playing only those six notes. His solo on Southbound is based almost entirely on those six notes. It can be done! I’ll try to take the challenge soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

🤣

Folks like Chuck Leavell have created great music playing only those six notes. His solo on Southbound is based almost entirely on those six notes. It can be done! I’ll try to take the challenge soon.

This Southbound video reminds me how badly my skill have eroded.  I played in a Southern rock band for 20 years, we were Skynyrd focused and I spent tons of time learning Billy Powell almost note for note.  The last 5 years of playing I got so tired of playing the stuff "note for note" that I started doing my own thing.  Now, I don't quite remember how the note for note stuff goes.  In the band I'm in now when a new song is learned I'm now going for the signature licks rather than learning anything note for note.  Not sure why my motivation to learn stuff accurately has diminished but I'm sure alot of it has to do with age. 

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

This Southbound video reminds me how badly my skill have eroded.  I played in a Southern rock band for 20 years, we were Skynyrd focused and I spent tons of time learning Billy Powell almost note for note.  The last 5 years of playing I got so tired of playing the stuff "note for note" that I started doing my own thing.  Now, I don't quite remember how the note for note stuff goes.  In the band I'm in now when a new song is learned I'm now going for the signature licks rather than learning anything note for note.  Not sure why my motivation to learn stuff accurately has diminished but I'm sure alot of it has to do with age. 

It may also be that you've developed your own style and want to play like you!!!!

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I always thought of it as the minor pentatonic scale plus the flatted 5th- the scale tone that made my head explode as a kid when I was jamming on the Pink Panther theme and Baby Elephant Walk.

But I didn't know nothin bout pentatonics or scale tones then, all I knew was that my head was exploding. And that I liked it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pinkfloydcramer said:

I always thought of it as the minor pentatonic scale plus the flatted 5th- the scale tone that made my head explode as a kid when I was jamming on the Pink Panther theme and Baby Elephant Walk.

But I didn't know nothin bout pentatonics or scale tones then, all I knew was that my head was exploding. And that I liked it.

Man can i relate to that! I grew up taking lessons on the famliy Lowrey organ and my mother would come in to the living room and dance whenever I played either one of those tunes!

Fond memories, simpler days...

• Like 1
Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

thank you all!  really glad we've moved onto making music!

Here is the video that inspired all this.  If you really want to understand the blues scale and how to construct licks and phrases, this is the best video on youtube, from the fabulous Tony Monaco. Please, do yourself a favour and check it out. It's long, but I guarantee you'll take something away from it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Griswold said:

Man can i relate to that! I grew up taking lessons on the famliy Lowrey organ and my mother would come in to the living room and dance whenever I played either one of those tunes!

Fond memories, simpler days...

Those 2 still come in handy for my restaurant piano gigs. Baby Elephant Walk is my go-to whenever a mother comes up to the piano holding a baby- it almost always gets the mama bouncing first, the baby soon after. So far no babies' heads have exploded, thats a good thing.

The difference between learning a concept and mastering that concept is forgetting everything you learned in the moment of execution. People sometimes ask me online or in person "What scale were you playing during the second chorus of..."  I'm not thinking about scales. I'm trying not to think at all. I'm responding to the moment, expressing what I feel at that given time.

And that's the essence of the blues. The blues is feeling. It isn't about licks or scales or thinking "I need to play this particular sequence of notes here". It's feeling. When you play the blues, become a blues vocalist on your instrument, singing about how lowdown you feel. We've all felt down in the dumps. But music allows us to express those feelings and hopefully feel better. That's the blues.

I offer this to those that are frustrated with their playing. Yes, learn the scales, but then forget all that shit and just play.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

The difference between learning a concept and mastering that concept is forgetting everything you learned in the moment of execution. People sometimes ask me online or in person "What scale were you playing during the second chorus of..."  I'm not thinking about scales. I'm trying not to think at all. I'm responding to the moment, expressing what I feel at that given time.

And that's the essence of the blues. The blues is feeling. It isn't about licks or scales or thinking "I need to play this particular sequence of notes here". It's feeling. When you play the blues, become a blues vocalist on your instrument, singing about how lowdown you feel. We've all felt down in the dumps. But music allows us to express those feelings and hopefully feel better. That's the blues.

I offer this to those that are frustrated with their playing. Yes, learn the scales, but then forget all that shit and just play.

Exactly this. If you look too closely or are too clinical about this you will never get it. 

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is not a snark to the OP but: I'm a little bored of the blues scale sound. It's a rare guitar solo that ventures off that particularly well-beaten track.

Woody - if you ever lay down a challenge that says "play a solo in C WITHOUT using these six notes", I'll listen with interest.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 3