Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best/your favorite pianists?

I believe I love to listen to someone playing the acoustic piano more than any other instrument.  I’m always after pianists I haven’t heard/heard of, and or new/unfamiliar works of pianists who I do know.  That’s a nice sized chunk of my goal here.

For the purposes of this thread, I’d like to request that you list (up to) three: 

• your favorite pianist still alive

• your favorite pianist no longer alive

• one honorable mention (either departed or alive)

…and why you chose who you chose, please.  

Examples of pieces by them would be especially appreciated.  Solo or accompanied are both fine.

Also, you don’t have to do all three at once.  You can approach the list any way that suits you. 😎

I’ll start with my favorite pianist no longer with us: Chopin.  OMG - not only was the brother clearly a monster player…but all that wonderful music came out of his head. 🤯

:popcorn:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

First: happy new year to all, lots of love, health and music.

Back to topic.

Among the living ones, I love John Medeski.

I absolutely admire Chick Corea (never thought i would put Chick among the deceased ones...).

Honorable mention: Christian Zimmermann, a colossus of classical piano 🎹

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Keith Jarrett. He played things I have never heard anyone else play, or even close. Both solo and trio, the unique voice.

Sergei Rachmaninoff. So many that could be named, it becomes somewhat arbitrary to only suggest one. But with those hands and that mind, peerless.

Simone Dinnerstein. I am certainly not a classical piano expert or aficionado. But I adore her recordings of Bach. So much passion, humanity, and love for the music comes through. In many ways, I think of her as the "anti Gould" in the very very best of ways.

Excellent thread idea!

your favorite pianist still alive

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection 

your favorite pianist no longer alive

Lyle Mays - First Circle

one honorable mention (either departed or alive)

Hargus ‘Pig’ Robbins - too many great tunes to name just one.

alive?

Brian Mitchell (Levon Helm, Buster Pointdexter, a million others). Every time i hear him or on the occasions when i get to play with him, it's sheer joy:

dead?

James Booker without question:

Honorable Mention?

Johnnie Johnson 'cause he, not Chuck Berry is the father of rock n roll. This is from decades past his prime but still great:

Honorable mention #2. Nicky Hopkins. Find a band that he didn't make better. (stones, who, lennon, kinks, etc.)

• Like 1

If I were going to take a second pass at this: 

your favorite pianist still alive

Hiromi - for sheer bodacious audaciousness

your favorite pianist no longer alive

Oscar Peterson - because everything feels so good

one honorable mention (either departed or alive)

Keith Jarrett - see #s 1 and 2 🙂

Alive - Fred Hersch. His touch, his effortless counterpoint, his repertoire, and his commitment to sound. 

Dead - Phineas Newborn Jr. I still can’t fathom that 2-handed virtuosity, yet it still swings and is approachable as a “passive” listening experience. 

Runners-up (one per category): Herbie Hancock & Wynton Kelly.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• your favorite pianist still alive ~ Joni Mitchell, not sure she still plays. She didn't sound like anybody else.

• your favorite pianist no longer alive ~ Artur Rubenstein, Mom took her 4 kids to see him live in concert, fantastic. 

• one honorable mention (either departed or alive) ~ Thelonius Monk, he knew interesting places to play silence. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This is really hard to answer I've been involved in music since the 60's playing guitar and bass and all the other things in the biz, but trying to play piano is new so I'm listening to a lot of musicians.   

• your favorite pianist still alive

Herbie Hancock    Herbie plays it all from classical to hiphop with great feel and imagination.   He's constantly exploring and encouraging young musicians.   

• your favorite pianist no longer alive

Bill Evans this one is really hard category being new to studying piano I listen to a lot of great pianists.  Bill Evans is the one person I keep circling back around too.   

• one honorable mention (either departed or alive)

Chick Corea,  Leon Russell,  and Greg Phillinganes.  Being I came up during the time when many wanted to be Studio Musicians and then working in a studio I have a lot of respect and admiration of studio musicians.   Leon and Greg are two great hired guns for studio work and touring. 

• Like 1

What day is it?  LOL.  Hell I don't know.

Today, right now.

Alive : Gonzalo Rubalcaba.  His hands and internal clock are insane.  Especially in the 90s ith his Trio, he seemed to have something to prove.

Deceased :  Oscar .... It's Oscar 

HM:  Bill Evans ... He knew all the cool chords.  He was the Ted Greene of piano.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Dave,

I'll try to give you a few that aren't as obvious, but still at the highest levels of musicianship.

your favorite pianist still alive: Michael Wollny.  A German pianist who is beyond capable. Classical, Jazz, fully improvised music of his own making.  He's a very complete package, and has been very prolific the past several years.  A wide range of moods, pieces, feels, concerts.  He's just a very complete musician and not at all bound by convention.  And yet, he'll show up playing with the Berlin Philharmonic as well.  Just shockingly capable.  I think he is very creative and has a lot more to say.  His album Nachtfahrten was my entrance to his world.  He seems to have a stable  artists relationship with Eric Schaefer & Christian Weber, as this trio has made several albums. 

• your favorite pianist no longer alive:  Dave Brubeck. I like his lines, his feel, his exploration of the possible and that he managed to avoid destroying himself with drugs or alcohol.  It's refreshing to have brilliant musicians who also kept it together for a full life of massive output.  It won't be new for you, but since he no longer playing, Keith Jarrett's solo work.  I'm sure his straight ahead jazz is great.  But I listen to the solo work.  His commitment to long form improvisation is one of the bravest things I've heard musically, and one of the more rewarding.  When he is "on" its deeply moving.  His actual mechanical skill at the instrument is notable.  He has great touch and dynamics. 

• one honorable mention (either departed or alive)  Ethan Iverson.  His solo work is very lyrical - much less dense than some of The Bad Plus work.  Again, shockingly complete as a musician.  And his writing about music is so erudite, witty and just plain enjoyable to read.  One that you may or may not know:  Tigran Himasyan.  He does a lot of original music.  Sometimes it is fiercely difficult and in odd time, and sometimes it is very slow and sweet.  You may or may not like his music, but he certain has much going on that a pianist of your caliber might appreciate. 

• Like 1

For classical, Daniil Trifonov excels.  I love the delicate phrasing and dynamic control.  It is one version of "as good as it gets".  Getting to see Olga Kern in person this last year was a real treat as well.  She just dominated the piano - such a secure performance.  The mechanical needs of the piece were completely handled and the interpretation rich.  When the runs are truly effortless, there is an ease that is hard to say exactly what it is, but "ease" is a musically useful skill that she has in abundance. 

For classically oriented new creativity, Ashley Hribar (the guy I've posted in the Stuart & Sons thread) is a monster player.  His recent album "Faust" shows him taking some very difficult pieces into new places on his own terms. 

Still alive though no longer playing

Keith Jarrett

Too many examples to pick one. The Standards Trio, the solo concerts, the Scandinavian quartet albums like Belonging or My Song.

Still alive, still playing

Aaron Diehl

No longer alive

Bud Powell

Honorable mention

Helen Sung because women are underrepresented so far and she’s incredible in any number of settings. Like here, playing stride giant James P. Johnson’s “Carolina Shout” with tap dancer Michela Marino Lerman at Newport 4-5 years ago.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, steadyb said:

Oscar. 

Oscar who? Peterson died years ago. Anyway -

OK since this is favorite vs best (those two lists aren't the same for me) and I'm going favorite in terms of their playing vs the music they did (again not the same list):

Alive: Jeff Lorber

RIP: Oscar Peterson 

Hon mention: Chuck Leavell 

Alive: Keith Jarrett. The phrasing, the touch, the feel, the ideas, incredible material presented in the most awesome way. So many of his recordings are so well know — especially the trio recordings. For something perhaps a bit off the beaten trail Facing You is a wonderful recording. Solo studio piano recording from 1971 where so many influences (jazz, blues, gospel, folk, rock) can be heard. 

Deceased: Bud Powell. The Genius of Bud Powell is Bud at his peak. Bud is where jazz piano begins for me. His influence is so widespread. He charted a path that so many of the greats followed. Unfortunately he was subjected to some sort of shock therapy which negatively impacted his playing. As a result, his later recordings are still great but less so than the early recordings.

Honorable mention: Vladimir Horowitz. So expressive, so dynamic, so many emotions and colors from the hunk of metal and wood we call a piano. He made it sing like no other. “The Last Romantic” is a wonderful documentary of the artist and the man. Horowitz in Moscow is an awesome album. His arrangement of The Star and Strips Forever is a ridiculous solo piano performance featuring independent layers.

still alive - Chuck Leavell

no longer alive - Richard Tee

honorable mention - Joe Zawinul (oops, did he perform/record acoustic piano? maybe not. ok then, J.S. Bach - I'm pretty sure about that one)

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Alive: Evgeni Bozhanov

Deceased: Chick Corea, Esbjorn Svensson, Lyle Mays

Honorable mention: Vladimir Horowitz, Herbie Hancock

Best/favorite pianists I’ve never actually heard but am sure are the baddest badass pianists/keyboardists: Chopin, Scriabin, Bach

Awesome thread idea...Can't wait to do my homework on the new names you guys introduce me to!

For my list, I'll break the rules a bit and name 5, cause it's just too hard.  I'm also gonna exclude guys like Cory Henry and George Duke, who are certainly among my favorites, but I'd say they're probably more known to play other keyboard instruments (synths, organ, etc).  

Alive: Herbie and Jarrett 

RIP: Bill Evans and Chick

Honorable Mention:

There are so many, but I'll pick a guy who I'd image may be unfamiliar to a lot of the forum...Quennel Gaskins...he's a gospel pianist with monster chops.  Hear a lot of Oscar, and by extension, Tatum, in some of his playing

• Like 2

Not necessarily "best," but nevertheless favorites:

• Robert Lamm, still alive, because his playing taught me how to stop showing off and just accompany for the good of the song.
  • Franz Lizst, currently dead, because he was arguably the first rock star keyboardist (he learned a lot from Paganini, the first rock star period).
  • Honorable mention to Ferrante and Teicher, dead, whom I saw in concert without an orchestra.  The orchestras on the recordings diminished their work.  Amazing players, somewhat obscured by their own commercial success.
  • Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Still alive: Jonathan Cain - his solo piano work is underrated IMO

No longer with us: Keith Emerson - love the confidence/aggressiveness in his playing, incredible technique, hand independence, composition 

Honorable Mention: Scott Joplin

The above reflects my favorite players, biased towards those I can somewhat relate to. Some of the jazz and classical players previously mentioned are so far beyond my capacities…

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Favourite (alive) Abdullah Ibrahim aka Dollar Brand.  Often quite simple playing, no superfluous notes, always soulful, sounds like no one else.  Saw him live twice about a decade ago, solo and with a small ensemble.

Favourite (no longer with us): Sviatoslav Richter, 1958 recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.  Why?  Touch, phrasing, tempos, dynamics.  Fast passages are fast, even for Richter who pushes his technique to its limits, like a car chase along a cliff's edge: it's not 'perfect', he fluffs a few notes, but who cares when the ride is this enthralling.

Honourable mention: Ahmad Jamal.  Touch, technical fluency, use of space, conversational interplay in a trio or quartet setting.  Saw him in 2009 with James Cammack, Herlin Riley and Manolo Badrena, my favourite live concert.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

No Tatum so far? How times have changed...

- I would go for Herbie for the combination of modernism and tradition, intellect and funkiness.

- McCoy Tyner for energy, those spaced out pentatonic runs and quartal voicings.

- Dr. John and Elton John for serving whatever the song needs. Freddie Mercury and Prince are underrated as pianists. 

• Like 1