Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig cancelled tonight due to exploding toilets

HSS

I drove nearly an hour for 40 miles through some pretty heavy traffic from SW Vegas to Boulder city only to find out that the gig had been cancelled.  The plumbing problem at the club occurred before I arrived while I was in route.  I was the first band member at the club and relayed the info to the others while they were still in route.  

The club, which I 've played at 10 -15 times since about 2018, was apologetic and promised to make it up to the band with some extra bookings and free meals.   I just hope that no cadavers from Lake Meade were ejected out of the exploding toilets. 

Even though I wasted a lot of time and gas on a needless trip, there's no point in getting angry at misbehaving toilets.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

7 minutes ago, HSS said:

I drove nearly an hour for 40 miles through some pretty heavy traffic from SW Vegas to Boulder city.  The plumbing problem at the club occurred before I arrived while I was in route.  I was the first band member at the club and relayed the info to the others while they were still in route.  

The club, which I 've played at 10 -15 times since about 2018, was apologetic and promised to make it up to the band with some extra bookings and free meals.   I just hope that no cadavers from Lake Meade were ejected out of the exploding toilets. 

Even though I wasted a lot of time and gas on a needless trip, there's no point in getting angry at misbehaving toilets.

Yikes! That just ain't pretty a bit. 🤮

You're right though, NOBODY wishes for exploding toilets, not even plumbers. 

Well, OK, Jr. High kids with M80's, they like exploding toilets (don't ask me how I know that!!! )

The good news is they'll have to get them properly fixed before they can run a successful business there. 

So next time should be much better. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oh no at least it was enroute and you missed the main event.

I was doing a new years eve gig back in the 90s ( i think ) it was in the beer garden of a pub in Sydney's Blue Mountains. In the late 70s early 80s my older band was a regular there. So in 90s I approached them to try out my new band and they gave me New Years Eve. I cant remember a beer garden there in the 80s.

Half way thru the gig the womens toilets let loose flooding our floor level "outdoor stage" simply setup against the wall of the building in the beer garden. (I cant remember it having a beer garden in the 80s)

At the time we didnt know it was the toilet just water runoff till end of gig. Fortunately it did seem to be only watery side of things. We didn't see any chewy Nougats floating by.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 3

My condolences.  That stinks.  When a toilet blows up, urine trouble.  Did the police call out the Squat team - I guess if there are no toilets, they have nothing to go on.  If the janitor can't unclog the toilet, it's a dereliction of doodie.  In my city, when the toilet blows up, no one gives a crap.  But exploding toilets could be terrorism or a case of spyarrhea.  Worse yet, now it is Sa-turd-ay.  It doesn't take a Pee.hD to know that the toilet paper has been wiped.  In an emergency, some people use lettuce leaves instead of toilet paper - today is just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.  If you Russian to a bathroom, and Finnish when you leave, European.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

JamPro just took all the puns!

At least you didn't drive an hour, started unloading only to realize you had the wrong weekend.  I use our band website which lists the gigs in order (with the dates), but I'm not used to having a free weekend and my brain just connected it as "next gig = upcoming weekend".  I'm just glad I realized it before I set up and the band for that night rolled in.  The only reason I even stopped was that normally our guitarist gets there before me and nobody was there :0 

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I’m having trouble thinking of something worse (short of violence or people dying) than playing or attending a gig where the bathrooms are rank, foul or otherwise out of order.  😖

A couple of the most low-down of our bar gigs--which thankfully we've moved on from--were so smoky that opening my gear case a week later I'd swear a cloud of smoke wafted out.   And the worst one had a knifing in the bathroom the night after our last gig there (not related I don't think).  Probably a meth deal gone bad, that place was known for such things...

I don't think we have any smoky gigs left.  I'm not sure how much damage I've done to myself (and gear) inhaling and being covered in that crap but I do NOT miss it.

Just now, Stokely said:

A couple of the most low-down of our bar gigs--which thankfully we've moved on from--were so smoky that opening my gear case a week later I'd swear a cloud of smoke wafted out.   And the worst one had a knifing in the bathroom the night after our last gig there (not related I don't think).  Probably a meth deal gone bad, that place was known for such things...

Land sakes alive! 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, we've all had that case where we say we got the sh+t scared out of us but I actually had a case where I got the sh+t scared into me. We were playing a dive in the early 80's and during the course of the night I was getting to need to go reeeaaallllyyy bad. I kept trying to tell myself I could wait until I got home but it finally got so bad I had to hit the restroom. When I opened it up it looked like the toilet hadn't been cleaned in over a year, there was stuff all around it on the floor and to top it off it faced directly out onto the main floor. It was so disgusting that somehow the need and urge totally subsided. I guess there really are cases of mind over (fecal) matter. Sorry for the TMI aspect 

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Land sakes alive! 

What was kind of odd about that place, to go with the obvious downsides of smoke and potential death or maiming, those people were really into music :)  A fair number of our gigs now we tend to be potted plant background music, that's "moving up" for you!  Pay is certainly better to go with the aforementioned clean air and lack of peril so on the whole, it's a win.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Oh no at least it was enroute and you missed the main event.

I was doing a new years eve gig back in the 90s ( i think ) it was in the beer garden of a pub in Sydney's Blue Mountains. In the late 70s early 80s my older band was a regular there. So in 90s I approached them to try out my new band and they gave me New Years Eve. I cant remember a beer garden there in the 80s.

Half way thru the gig the womens toilets let loose flooding our floor level "outdoor stage" simply setup against the wall of the building in the beer garden. (I cant remember it having a beer garden in the 80s)

At the time we didnt know it was the toilet just water runoff till end of gig. Fortunately it did seem to be only watery side of things. We didn't see any chewy Nougats floating by.

This channel is a source of endless entertainment on this subject:

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

22 hours ago, JamPro said:

My condolences.  That stinks.  When a toilet blows up, urine trouble.  Did the police call out the Squat team - I guess if there are no toilets, they have nothing to go on.  If the janitor can't unclog the toilet, it's a dereliction of doodie.  In my city, when the toilet blows up, no one gives a crap.  But exploding toilets could be terrorism or a case of spyarrhea.  Worse yet, now it is Sa-turd-ay.  It doesn't take a Pee.hD to know that the toilet paper has been wiped.  In an emergency, some people use lettuce leaves instead of toilet paper - today is just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.  If you Russian to a bathroom, and Finnish when you leave, European.

Poo! Poo! 

Quit squatting the podium! 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Politeness dictates I offer this forum an explanation.  See, this was a test: I wanted to write a bunch of bad jokes to see if anyone could come up with something even worse.  And of my 10 word-plays, no pun in ten did.

On a related note: my dog just ate an entire bag of Scrabble tiles.  His next shit could spell disaster.

• Like 1

Just to mercifully put this thread I started to rest, here's a few videos of exploding pianos.

https://youtu.be/veyWOXpy4KE

https://youtu.be/_B3T1VOT26A

https://youtu.be/p87xqCuQdBM

https://youtu.be/CE8cyojTX_Q

https://youtu.be/h1rXcm2mbKI

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)