Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hammond smell

lsj

I have a 1962 hammond a-100 with an original leslie 122 in my music room.  my wife says it smells in there, from the age and hammond oil and I know since this is not the first hammond I owned.   get rid of the wife or the hammond.  just joking.  

• Haha 1

When I bought it, my first chopped C3 was previously in storage in a bunker outside of town. Affectionately known as "The Pig," it weighed a ton and smelled pretty bad. More than once it stunk of smoking transformer until it stopped working entirely. The other smell, I found out shortly, was from the rodents that chewed up the cloth wires and left droppings all over the place.  

Here for the gear.

When I bought my M3, It smelled very, very old.  I left it in my garage a while, then disassembled it and went over everything with a vacuum and air compressor.  There was a good 50 years of dust in there.  No smell now.

Do what I did when I had my Hammond M3 Chop, I gave her a choice...

"Honey, it's Hammond Oil or Hoppes Gun Solvent -- take your pick!   For now, only the Hoppes is downstairs!"

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

1 minute ago, Old No7 said:

Do what I did when I had my Hammond M3 Chop, I gave her a choice...

"Honey, it's Hammond Oil or Hoppes Gun Solvent -- take your pick!   For now, only the Hoppes is downstairs!"

Old No7

And for "the rest of the story"............

A week later, my cellar smelled like Hoppes Gun Solvent AND Hammond Oil.....................

Oh well......... 😉

Old No7

• Haha 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Any time I read anything about the smell of a Hammond, I think of a funny posting Perry Hemus made to the zk3 Hammond mailing list in 1995.  He was lamenting the fact that he had an M100 which didn't have the sound he was looking for.  

I have one at the moment, I am looking out for a decent lesley. But at the moment it sounds crap (churchy, ooh Mrs Miller, wheres my bloomers?)

I don't want a module or a synth, I hate them, I want a big bastard Hammond that screems, hums and smells like an old man's house.

I have one at the moment that does the latter, but not the former.

Advice please.

That redolent Hammond smell - particularly on one that's been heavily gigged like mine were- is definitely part of the whole immersive experience that you just don't get with a clone. I feel the same way about acoustic pianos btw.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Reading these posts reminded me that I still had half a tin of Hammond oil in the shed ... I'd kept it from my days as a Hammond tech in the 1970s..

So I went and found it and took the lid off....... It is amazing how just one sniff of that famous oil instantly brought back a flood of memories! :) 

Even back in the day we knew the tone wheel Hammonds were special of course... 

I'm not sure I ever realised quite how special they would become, 50 years on....

• Like 1
Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

Other notable smells burned into the typical musician's olfactory senses:

• 2" tape (dear lord, somebody put that in a bottle, I'd buy it!)
  • The interior of a keyboard road case (esp the glue!!)
  • Every bathroom of every club
  • Every green room of every club (fried food, musty dank basement mildew, spilled beer)
  • The packaging material for ANYTHING that plugs in or has a battery.
  • The bass player that refuses to shower
  • The clothing ball on the floor from the gig the night before (this has gotten way better since they limited smoking indoors)

I haven't had a B3 since 2004. Sure miss it. I use to turn it on some days just for the smell and to hear it purr in my place. Funny how things might not sit with some, but means something else to others. Like the smell of solder or hypo/stop bath. Great stuff...lol

9 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

...Sometimes they can take me right back to my parents basement....

Oooh -- do you guys remember the Testors Model Glue back in the 60's & 70's ? ? ?

THAT was a great way for an 8 to 15 year old to get high... 😵

Sure built a ton of models back then! 

(Explains a lot today, actually...............)

Old No7

21 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I sense a business opportunity for the "scatch and sniff" makers...

In the interest of "authenticity", which clonist will be the first to include "authentic oil smell" along with the other features, e.g. tweakable tone generator cal., key click, crosstalk, etc.    None?  I suppose one could at least include one of those scratch-n-sniff paper things in the promo material.