Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is this Device?

Looks like he is triggering the chords with pads, looks like an old jukebox in front. Never seen it before-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!

Agreed, It seems kind of silly to have him stand there and push pads. There are only four chords in that song, and the sound is relatively easy to program on any synth.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Anything goes in new style country. Loopers are becoming popular too at the Nashville airport.

You"ll never see so many people carrying instrument case or live acts, grand piano.

Getting stuck at airports is a drag except in NashVegas.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I worked a singer once who triggered his lyrics on a 30' monitor with a Bluetooth foot pedal.

We did this one gig and the foot pedal broke so he went to the local computer shop and bought a mouse which he strapped to his acoustic guitar. Something I"m sure I"ll never see again.

Another slightly tangential comment - I see Keith had the rare honour of representing 'Oceania' at the Tokyo Olympic opening ceremony.

Some kinda doolyjigger or contraption. Maybe they got it at Toys R Us?

I wouldn't show the audience that I was just pressing 4 buttons either but that is nothing compared to watching Carrie Underwood gripping the mic up on the backside of the ball.

That makes it into an omnidirectional feedback machine.

Pet peeve, sorry. Ask any soundman, the question alone is likely to piss them off.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have no idea what it is. But I do know that if I were that cat, I sure as hell wouldn't have it slanted down like he does so as to advertise to the entire crowd that, yes, any one of you could be up here doing what I'm doing.

bwaahhaha totally!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Pet peeve, sorry. Ask any soundman, the question alone is likely to piss them off.

Worse are the singers who grab the end of the wireless mic and cover up the antenna. Then look at you like it's a bad mic, no a stupid singer.

Wait now, at one point he does something with his left hand. Slow down there Johann.

The fact that the pads light when played adds to the pre-school like vibe. But he IS bobbing his head, which is a prerequisite for any overpaid DJ.

Worse are the singers who grab the end of the wireless mic and cover up the antenna. Then look at you like it's a bad mic, no a stupid singer.

And the bands that are playing a medium or smaller club, the guitarist brings his trusty Marshall half stack and the singer won't stop asking for more vocals in the monitors when you are just barely below the edge of feedback. I'm glad I'm not a sound man but I was hanging with a friend and learning to do it one night. At one point Lance (who is 6"3" large and dour) went up to the guitarist and said "Turn that thing the ph^ck down or I'll break your spine." That helped some.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Wow at first i thought it was the command desk from Star Trek but then realised he was operating it from the wrong side so that would be against the Fedarations operating procedue. Plus Data never had such a rosy complexion.

Then i saw what look liked a bandana around his neck so figured he is the modern version of a pedal steel Guitarist but just needed a Stetson to set the scene nicely.

Is it me or was that cacophony of sound due to being recorded thru someones old mobile phone??? It cant be a pro recording surely?

That looks cool. One of the biggest pain in using MIDI control surfaces live is consolidating the rig. I was using Novation Remote Zero and some other doo-dads and playing pads on some DJ Snake stuff. The worst parts is figuring out where to put the all the doo-dads and crap. It was a pain in the ass so I kept using the FA. Looks like in the center is his primary control surface. F*** those 16 little bitty buttons he has 4 sets of 4 big ass pads. He will use the primary surface controller to run the rig and the 16 big ass buttons to play pads. If I had this I would ditch the damn FA06.I would continue to face the rig toward center stage and have the edm/dj/one shot sample controller face front like this guy. Then either run my samples off a rack mount PC or have a hardware sampler inside the cabinet where the Control surfaces are mounted.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In my case it was only 4-5 songs where I played Loops. And yes I make mistakes. On the one shot stuff some of the mistakes are funny. I may mean to trigger a riser but instead Fred Flintstone yells Yabba Dabba Doo.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Visually the jukebox controller looks pretty freaking dope. And it's the headturning kind of thing that people would be talking about after the concert. 'What WAS that?'. Might look easy, but it looks pretty cool in my humble opinion.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

so to sum up. "Keyboardists- the most judgmental and perfect musicians on the planet"

After playing guitar and bass for 50+ years I thought they were the most judgemental and gear obsessed, have to say being around keyboardist you guys get that award. Perfect, I'll give that one to horn players.

Anything goes in new style country. Loopers are becoming popular too at the Nashville airport.

You"ll never see so many people carrying instrument case or live acts, grand piano.

Getting stuck at airports is a drag except in NashVegas.

MSY (New Orleans) has some pretty good music, although not as consistent as Nashville, but when they have it it's top notch. Portland has frequent musicians but I've rarely seen any that compelling. DAL (Dallas Love) has an actual stage in the food court but I haven't seen an act there since the pandemic. AUS...you would think would be great, and they have a stage with a house drumset, but I've rarely seen band there.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff