Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What are you watching right now?

Just finished re-watching Deep Space 9 for the nth time. And finally got around to binge-watching 4x seasons of Castlevania (1st time).

[video:youtube]

Just finished this and man was this series amazing! Maybe the best anime show I've ever seen.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I have been watching the NHL playoffs since one of the two teams I like is still playing, The Canadiens! Go Habs! I am also watchin the second season of Love, Death, and Robots. I am also watching The Nevers on HBO Max and about to start Tribes of Europa on Netflix. I am honestly trying to catch up on my lists as I have many shows still to get to. About 5 on HBO max and 8 on Netflix that I still want to get to. I was so far behind I just finished Watching Game of Thrones a few weeks ago.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I started watching the Expanse before the pandemic and since then have binged the series a few times already and what a great show. It takes place 350 years in the future and you can see how the politics of today have expanded as we started colonizing the galaxy. Also it said to be one of the most scientifically accurate of science fiction TV shows. This clip is a collection of Avasarala tearing to people in her blunt to the point manner. In the future earth is run by one government body the UN, Avasarala is the 2nd in charge. She has to deal with the corrupt politics on earth and with fighting between the other planets and colonies. She a tough old broad who I'd like to have as an aunt. There is a lot of characters in this space opera and someone for everyone to side with.

The Expanse is based on a series of nine books by James S. A. Corey. Well the ninth book is due out in a month or so. The TV show finished it's fifth season and season six will be out towards the end of the year.

I'm taking a break from the Expanse for the moment and been rewatching Mr. Robot and after that the TV series Lost. Then if Expanse 6th season hasn't started yet I'll rewatch Orphan Black another of my longtime favorites. Tatiana Maslany is a great actress and the job she did on Orphan Black is incredible.

[video:youtube]

"The Donut King" documentary from American Experience on PBS; the gratifying 2-hour "Zappa" doc on Amazon; the can't-look-away car wreck of "Invincible" on Amazon, an animated superhero destruction festival; and The Westminster Dog Show, where no one is trying to eviscerate anyone or make their heads 'splode. I love dogs.

I also enjoy "American Dad," a cartoon so hilariously horrifying, just mentioning that you like it on Facebook can cost you a job. I'm not officially recommending it to people I don't know. If you have a taste for such fare, you'll love it. If you're horrified, you'll blame me, so I pre-absolve myself in this instance.

"CBS Sunday Morning" draws me in with superior and varied interviews, plus fun moments like synth-spotting a Jupiter-8 and Emulator II in Jose Feliciano's studio. Its a generally light news magazine, but it doesn't shirk serious topics to excess, either. This is all minus the usual yelling. Each show ends with a "Moment of Nature," where you get a short, very high-def look at beaches, bison or mountains. It also sounds shotgun-mic'd, as you get up-close animal & environment sounds. Ever been to the beach? Their last segment on one was 2-D IMAX for me, being an old beach hound. Very crisp. Recommended. :thu:

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

"This blade will cut... your @$$!" Its an impressive show of superior craft and new bits of metallurgical knowledge I was pleased to pick up.

History Channel is also running some quality documentary series, such as "The Food That Made America" and "The Titans That Built America." Its dramatized but never histrionic. The cast, sets & machinery are consistently top-notch. You can't claim full adulthood if you're not interested in how Oreo cookies came about. :laugh: A full WIN across the board.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

Boy Meets World. I totally missed it during the original run. Watching it on Disney Plus along with Duck Tales, Muppets, Phineas and Ferb, and a few other series. Yes, I'm going back to my youth, except these were not available in my youth. In my youth we only got one channel, NBC, bye way of an antenna on top of the hill next to the house. The people next door had a taller hill and they got two channels. I have to say, The Muppets has not aged well.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• 1 month later...
Ted Lasso on Apple tv. This ought to be taught in every management class. Every sportsball movie trope in existence is portrayed lovingly and even though you know from the first episode how things will turn out, it's still a great ride. Highly recommended. Season 2 starts 7/23 and we can't wait.

I started rewatched the Amazon series Bosch pretty good cop show. It takes place in Hollywood so get to see the old neighborhood I spent so much time in. Amazon has another PI series called Goliath I like too, again because it takes place in Venice and Santa Monica where I grew up and got into playing music. Sadly they aren't the funky cool places they used to be, they're all gentrified now.

Past two weeks watched Blade Runner 2049, The Arrival (with Amy Adams), The Endless, Ad Astra, Ex Machina (amazingly nuanced acting, well-written, beautifully filmed), I think I am on 11:00AM-12:00PM of 24, Dummy (with Anna Kendrick), and Reno 911 (last three binge watching).

I would be watching Castlevania Season 4 right now, but the Mrs. is off visiting her family. If I were to watch ahead, it would be NETFLIX AND DIVORCE! So I'm currently chilling and just re-watching Star Trek Voyager, since my friend and I have been on a huge Star Trek kick since finishing Discovery Season 3.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• 2 years later...

Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Had all three books in the series and really liked them. Saw the movie when it came out back in 1968 as a 9 year old. It was a big deal then. Wow, this movie has not held up well at all. It relied so much on futuristic settings and special effects that today seem very common. Without the wonder of the futuristic setting to keep you enthralled you notice how bad much of the early acting is. It felt like opening night of a small town play where the cast is focused on getting through their lines and no one is really into their rolls. I had forgotten how choppy the movie is. Something fueled by lots of small sets with no opportunity of transition between locations.

Strangely I am glad that I watched it again. It affirmed that not everything from the past needs to stay on a pedestal. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I posted on Craig Andertons site but in case you don't check that out.  UFO 2018.  It free on YT. It's a math heavy smart engrossing film. I watched it twice and still feel compelled to watch again.  No link, figure if you are interested you'll find it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Right now, I'm watching the Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy. I don't know how The Twilight Zone became a New Year's tradition, but I'm not complaining. It looks like they've been refurbished. Excellent quality for a series that started in the late 1950s. I just watched the co-highest rated episode on IMDB.com, 'Terror at 20,000 Ft.', starring the singular William Shatner. The gremlin on the wing looks so lame.  spacer.png

Reading trivia about this episode, you'll remember that when George Miller directed the remake of this episode for 'Twilight Zone: The Movie' John Lithgow played the Shatner character. In an episode of Lithgow's '3rd Rock from the Sun', which featured Shatner as their alien supervisor called 'Big Giant Head', they had this exchange:

Sally Solomon: So how was your trip, sir?

The Big Giant Head: Horrifying, at first. I looked out the window and... I saw something on the wing of the plane.

Dr. Dick Solomon: The same thing happened to me!

I love stuff like that! 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Just finished the 3rd season of Apple TV's Slow Horses, and will probably binge re-watch it over the next few days. It's about MI-5 as a toxic workplace, imagine a cross between John LeCarre's novels and the Office. And Gary Oldman is freaking brilliant in it. The books, by British author Mick Herron, are great as well.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Had two weeks off as a teacher during Christmas break. Watched a ton of John Wayne movies, esp. those directed by John Ford. All the Ford films are glorious to look at, and the character studies are terrific.

Everything from The Quiet Man to She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Even a leftie liberal like me appreciated the values and the beauty.

famous-movie-location-john-fords-point-in-monument-valley.jpg

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson