Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

H*ly Cr*p I forgot about this

Steve Nathan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to see Stuff at a club called Mikell's in New York. That's where they got started. IIRC they began just jamming there after doing session work during the day. At the beginning there was no cover, or maybe $2 I forget. One night, Joe Cocker sat in with them they were getting ready to tour, I think. His background singers sat at a front table and I remember Joe extending his microphone towards them when they were singing.

Back in those days I was mostly into straight-ahead jazz. Seeing these guys play together messed me up good. To hear them live, ten feet away, was a life-changing experience! It was more about the group sound, how they all played together as opposed to the jazzers I was into, where the ensemble playing was secondary to the soloing.

He was a powerful player too bad he's passed. I am convinced gospel cats have such a different approach to music and and can fit into jazz, blues and rock without feeling contradicted musically. Steve Gadd is from here and will be at the jazz fest this year.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I used to see Stuff at a club called Mikell's in New York. That's where they got started. IIRC they began just jamming there after doing session work during the day. At the beginning there was no cover, or maybe $2 I forget. One night, Joe Cocker sat in with them they were getting ready to tour, I think. His background singers sat at a front table and I remember Joe extending his microphone towards them when they were singing.

Back in those days I was mostly into straight-ahead jazz. Seeing these guys play together messed me up good. To hear them live, ten feet away, was a life-changing experience! It was more about the group sound, how they all played together as opposed to the jazzers I was into, where the ensemble playing was secondary to the soloing.

It must have been one of those experiences that just shocked you. I have had those and they basically tell me to get my ass in gear.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I was so into Stuff and Richard Tee back in the day. They were so ahead of their time. This was what got me listening to Jazz.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

And Richard is sitting on an orange plastic chair. Kind of puts in perspective our forum discussion the other day about super expensive piano benches.

You could say this whole thread puts perspective on just about everything.

Here for the gear.

Man - always have loved Richard Tee. His gospel flair just kills it. I'd love to study his playing more. His chord transitions and voicing kill me (in a good way). I could play just this style for the rest of my days and be fulfilled.

YES!!! I have never forgotten about this clip or the way Richard Tee plays this breakdown because it is one of those things that just destroyed me when I first saw it. One of those moments where you go 'I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT' and propels your playing into a different direction forever. That's what happened to me when I discovered Stuff and Richard Tee. I have a bunch of Stuff on my phone in a playlist and whenever I need to recalibrate my time and groove or I need some inspiration I give it a good listen.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm ignorant - did the tune around the 16 minute mark inspire EWF's Hearts Afire or are they covering it?

That's The Way Of The World.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

One more observation about Stuff. I think they are the original version of what all these latter day studio groove bands (Scary Pockets, Wulfpeck) are trying to do. But there is only one Richard Tee, only one Steve Gadd and only one Eric Gale.

I'm ignorant - did the tune around the 16 minute mark inspire EWF's Hearts Afire or are they covering it?

As someone else pointed out It's called That's The Way of The World.

Maurice and Verdine White of EWF wrote it along with Charles Stepney. Stuff is covering it with their take on it, just like the other songs they covered in this concert.

All good!!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

One more observation about Stuff. I think they are the original version of what all these latter day studio groove bands (Scary Pockets, Wulfpeck) are trying to do. But there is only one Richard Tee, only one Steve Gadd and only one Eric Gale.
There's a Q&A with Vulfpeck's Jack Stratton somewhere online where a fan asked where Jack got the Stuff shirt that he wore in one of the band's videos. Apparently he traced the logo off of an old video and screened the shirt himself!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Richard T is one of those 'stratosphere' players who made a massive impression on me from my earliest days of listening to music, never in the, "some day I will play like that" sense, more in the "if I live until the sun goes out, I will never play like that" sense. If I pop out two or three seconds of music in a whole night that even hints at that kind of rhythmic sophistication and grime, I consider it a career game and ask the guitarist's girlfriend if I can touch her hair.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Pianists with feel you say... well get a load of the sublime rhythmic feel of Mr. Joe Sample with Benson, shortly before his death from mesothelioma. personally, I was more influenced by Joe growing up than the others.

Joe solos at 3:30

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived