Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM January 2019

Radagast

That's because you made up all these things that I NEVERsaid.

This is exactly what I wrote:

"Obviously, it's not as easy as buying a burger but if one is really interested in the event, there are MANY ways to obtain a badge legally. Becoming a member of AES is one of many ways.

Thousands of people do just that so your original comment is hardly the reason why should one 'beg' for a pass and get their posts deleted, when they can do a little homework on the subject. "

Then I went on to say

" Go through those options and see if any of them apply to you. I mean you don't even have to be specific. Sometimes, it's as easy as providing a URL to a music website that has your name on it!!! Submit the application. Make sure to use this promotional code. "AttendNAMM" (Not sure if this code has an expiration date though)

In few days, you'll get an answer from them. You won't be charged till you get approved. Give this a try! There's nothing to lose. "

I don't know what your problem is! You keep making my statement about something else.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because you made up all these things that I NEVERsaid.

This is exactly what I wrote:

"Obviously, it's not as easy as buying a burger but if one is really interested in the event, there are MANY ways to obtain a badge legally. Becoming a member of AES is one of many ways.

Thousands of people do just that so your original comment is hardly the reason why should one 'beg' for a pass and get their posts deleted, when they can do a little homework on the subject. "

Then I went on to say

" Go through those options and see if any of them apply to you. I mean you don't even have to be specific. Sometimes, it's as easy as providing a URL to a music website that has your name on it!!! Submit the application. Make sure to use this promotional code. "AttendNAMM" (Not sure if this code has an expiration date though)

In few days, you'll get an answer from them. You won't be charged till you get approved. Give this a try! There's nothing to lose. "

I don't know what your problem is! You keep making my statement about something else.

The problem is you provided a link to apply for a membership for the goal of obtaining a badge but this does not imply that NAMM is open to the general public.

The problem is you provided a link to apply for a membership for the goal of obtaining a badge but this does not imply that NAMM is open to the general public.

The problem here is that you did NOT bother to actually read a meaningful conversation that I was having with another forum member, so you ended up making up statements and accused me of calling others liars!

The fact that you can't just walk up to the show and buy a badge just like that is already understood. That's not what we're talking here. I never said you can just randomly show up and pay $25 to get in just like you do at the movies.

I did however say that NAMM does provide many options for guests visitors so just saying this:

" "The convention is not open to the general public, that's why."

is not a reason for one to have to use questionable methods to obtain a pass. If you actually read all the posts, you'll have an idea what the conversation was all about. That other Dave got it and we planned a beer drinking session! Meaning we're on good terms.

You didn't! Please do not make up stories!

The problem here is that you did NOT bother to actually read a meaningful conversation that I was having with another forum member, so you ended up making up statements and accused me of calling others liars!

Keep it civil, dude. I do not approve of you twisting my polite attempt to correct you to fit the definition of accusing you of lying.

The fact remains - regardless of where one obtains their passes, NAMM is not open to the general public. Do you still dispute this?

Dude you're changing the question! The question is exactly about how to get a pass. What do you mean regardless of where one obtains their pass? That's exactly what we're talking here. NAMM is not open to general public means nothing. As a non-member you still have to register....sign in and go through those options to see if any of them apply to you as a general public (meaning not affiliated with an official NAMM member)! That's what the badge link is all about! If you get approved, you will pay $25 without having to pay any additional fees.(if promotional code still applicable). If you're denied, then they will ask you for additional information.

Do you still dispute this?

You were challenged to dispute the fact that NAMM is not open to the general public and you sadly resorted to a knee-jerk dismissal of my point, then twisting the argument. That is a classic Alinsky manipulative tactic that should had stayed in grade school where it belongs, and I will not submit to it. You are evasive and cannot be reasoned with. We have nothing more to discuss, and this is not to be construed that you won any discussion.

You were challenged to read the posts to understand what was being discussed and you didn't. You won't get to twist words and hijack the conversation just like that. Therefore I agree that we have nothing more to discuss.

OK then, now that we have all this sorted out, let's get back on topic.

How about a thread for rumors and leaks of whats going to be at NAMM in January?

Carry on. :thu:

Yes. There are new keyboards on the moon :D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I see the rumor that Roland is putting together a monster poly based on Studio Electronics CODE8 hasnt been posted here yet. Thats a pretty tasty possibility.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

If Roland is just going to brand an Omega/Code, I would be disappointed. The Omega/Code is quite old, there is very little room left to update the firmware, and the OS itself is somewhat archaic. BUT, do something new and interesting (and include MIDI response to PolyAT, of course) then they would definitely have my attention.

btw- I understand NAMM is not open to the General Public??

I imagine anything they do would take the core voice architecture and build on it. Were getting closer to finding out!

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Winter NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) is officially not open to the general public. Unless something has changed that I don't know about, this is an accurate statement.

People can not just walk up to the show and buy a badge; however, there are several legitimate ways for people who have an interest in doing so to get into the show. Unless something has changed that I don't know about, these are also accurate statements.

There is a bigger point in brother MC's statement, though. At AES (and something like Gearfest), manufacturers/exhibitors are there primarily to see end users. At NAMM, that is not the case. Most of us are there mainly to see our dealers (domestic and international - more international than ever now that the Messe is essentially fragmented beyond repair), the press, other manufacturers, attend panels, etc. We plan our show goals, meetings and presentations very differently for NAMM than something like AES. It's the main chance we get to see these folks face to face...these days, more than ever - web demos/training sessions and the like have lessened the need for many of us to travel and see these folks during the year, so it's really important that we get to connect with as many of them as possible....for those of us who still believe in the physically interactive relationship aspect of the industry, anyway... :)

I love seeing friends at the show, and am glad to try and help end users whenever I can, of course; but - as anyone who's tried to talk to me at length during NAMM can attest - I've typically got meetings every half hour for the majority of the show from the moment the show starts, and frequently before and after. My schedule is already half booked and it's over a month away! At something like AES, I don't schedule very many meetings.

So, when you hear that NAMM is not officially open to the public, that aspect is probably as much (if not more) of a factor as physically getting through the doors.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

So if you backtrack the posts to the previous page, there was this comment from a fellow user... That he/she badly wanted to attend the event so much so that he felt there was a need to use questionable methods to obtain a pass or else that could not happen.

When I questioned why? Another user said "the reason why" is that the NAMM is not open to general public... .

That's when I said that's only an opinion. NAMM is not open to the general public, so the only way to get in is to beg and stuff is simply not true. There are many legit ways for getting a badge without having any connection to a NAMM member. It's ridiculously easy to obtain a badge. You have to register and submit the application if you want to do it on your own without paying additional fees (such as AES membership). Sometimes it's as easy as providing a link to your music website, or a copy of your business card, or just a letter from a studio, house of worship...etc.... . It also depends on the person who's reviewing the application. For all you know, most of them don't even go through the whole application and just approve. Some might ask for more info. All these options are available for the general public. Can one be denied? Absolutely! That's why it's called an "application".

Other than that trying to prove you can't just show up at random and ask for a badge would be like trying to prove Zebras have stripes. One has to put in a little work into it and take it from there, so it's definitely not like showing up at the movies to buy tickets. Even official NAMM members have deadlines. Yamaha can't just show up just like that either!

trying to prove you can't just show up at random and ask for a badge would be like trying to prove Zebras have stripes.

To you, perhaps. To someone who's only been to an AES show or any other show where you can register onsite, maybe that info would be valuable. :idk:

One has to put in a little work into it and take it from there, so it's definitely not like showing up at the movies to buy tickets. Even official NAMM members have deadlines. Yamaha can't just show up just like that either!

Thanks for clarifying that point. :)

dB

To someone who's only been to an AES show or any other show where you can register onsite, maybe that info would be valuable. :idk:

Yes, but that was already established in page 2. That individual already knew that, so that was already understood. It doesn't matter. At least you know what I'm talking about it. That's great.

In any case, hopefully he'll try out these options and get a badge. That was the whole idea.

To someone who's only been to an AES show or any other show where you can register onsite, maybe that info would be valuable. :idk:

Yes, but that was already established in page 2. That individual already knew that, so that was already understood. It doesn't matter.

Sure it does. :idea:

Information on forums is read by lots of folks - sometimes years after it's been written - so what one individual in a thread seems to understand now only counts for so much.

dB

Yes, but that was already established in page 2. That individual already knew that, so that was already understood. It doesn't matter. At least you know what I'm talking about it. That's great.

In any case, hopefully he'll try out these options and get a badge. That was the whole idea.

:deadhorse:
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

At NAMM, [most] of us are there mainly to see our dealers (domestic and international - more international than ever now that the Messe is essentially fragmented beyond repair), the press, other manufacturers, attend panels, etc. We plan our show goals, meetings and presentations very differently for NAMM than something like AES. It's the main chance we get to see these folks face to face...these days, more than ever - web demos/training sessions and the like have lessened the need for many of us to travel and see these folks during the year, so it's really important that we get to connect with as many of them as possible....for those of us who still believe in the physically interactive relationship aspect of the industry, anyway... :)

I love seeing friends at the show, and am glad to try and help end users whenever I can, of course; but - as anyone who's tried to talk to me at length during NAMM can attest - I've typically got meetings every half hour for the majority of the show from the moment the show starts, and frequently before and after. My schedule is already half booked and it's over a month away!

Yes, my usual interactions at NAMM with dB is to sorta wave at him as I walk past his booth(s)- he one busy guy (unless I get him talking about health issues...!). By the same token, as a member of not the general public I definitely step out of the way if there is real business being conducted.

wouldn't it be easier to just give LX88 a badge and make this gawdawful thread vanish? :D

No, becauase:

"Information on forums is read by lots of folks - sometimes years after it's been written - so what one individual in a thread seems to understand now only counts for so much."(dB)

You'd want to empower users, no?

A while back (about 10 years ago), NAMM tried an experiment. NAMM show is 4 days long (Thurs-Sun) around the 3rd or 4th week of January every year. 10 years ago, their experiment was to make "guest badges" available to the general public for Sunday Only. This was a flop with exhibitors and paying member companies and their guests. Exhibitors pay big bucks to set up their booths and display areas so that they can answer questions to industry people who are prepared to place massive orders. Having the general public in there interfered with the ability of that kind of business to transpire. Exhibitors felt ripped off, NAMM member companies such as retailers were infuriated in that they couldn't get their answers from the exhibitors due to infiltration of the general public hogging all resources.

This is why the NAMM show is not open to the general public, and the result of that particular experiment only reinforced that policy.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Did I start all of this?

I haven't checked in to this thread. I posted a week ago, but no one has taken me up on my cartage/ taxi offer.

Too bad because I could potentially schlep enough goodies to fill a small exibit. Or can taxi someone to and from LAX or whatever for a pass.

I have had some terrific experiences at NAMM. The whole Red Key Lounge has been memorable. Seriously, it's interesting to meet the forum members, I don't want to give anyone priority but I have enjoyed the encounters.

The one I will never forget though was Steve Heddum from Minneapolis. He was at the dinner at Buca de Beppo ( or whatever it is called). He was a very " different" sort of person, but in a good way.

I have been somewhat of a loner when I have gone to NAMM. It's kind of risky but I drive down from Oregon.It's a challenge but often worth it , and a good time of year to get out of the Oregon winter.

Anyway, Steve Heddum died shortly after he was at NAMM in 2011. It's been 8 years ago! He had an accident while doing a roof repair in an even worse winter than mine in Minneapolis.

Sometimes the best people are taken from us.It's quite a reminder of how fragile life is. Life is about appreciating other people, even though I swear the percentage of people who can even keep their word these days is becoming smaller with each passing year.

Anyway the cartage / taxi offer still stands. PM me if interested.

A while back (about 10 years ago), NAMM tried an experiment. NAMM show is 4 days long (Thurs-Sun) around the 3rd or 4th week of January every year. 10 years ago, their experiment was to make "guest badges" available to the general public for Sunday Only. This was a flop with exhibitors and paying member companies and their guests. Exhibitors pay big bucks to set up their booths and display areas so that they can answer questions to industry people who are prepared to place massive orders. Having the general public in there interfered with the ability of that kind of business to transpire. Exhibitors felt ripped off, NAMM member companies such as retailers were infuriated in that they couldn't get their answers from the exhibitors due to infiltration of the general public hogging all resources.

This is why the NAMM show is not open to the general public, and the result of that particular experiment only reinforced that policy.

TBH, if they haven't concluded business by Sunday, they're probably not going to at all!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

They also offer free HS-5 studio monitors with the purchase of a Montage. Sometimes promos are just that, not an indication of anything else.

But yeah, maybe theres a new Kronos-class instrument coming. Still, I think an updated Krome is much more important. The current one is not that competitive anymore.

Korg could update both.

Archived