Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM January 2019

Radagast

There is something brewing at Korg, something big..

One rumor says its the next Kronos..

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines

Yamaha should present an cp1/cp4 follow up

Casio the next px-5s..

Nord lead 5 or C3d or maybe even both..

Spectrasonics should present their stylus rmx follow up..

Akai wil show a keyboard with mpc touch and Advance VIP controlls

And finally Behringer will show a workstation...

Which will both play VSTs.and will be expendable with analogue circuit boards..

There should be enough for some heavy GAS,..

NAMM Haiku

Or perhaps NostraNAMMus.

Here for the gear.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines...

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model. Oh well, as usual as soon as I buy something the next model comes out. But lets at least hope it has a better keybed, right everyone? (Though I don't find it to be the worst).

Korg could still be showing a Kronos replacement. Maybe theyre being exceptionally secretive about it.

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines

Yamaha should present an cp1/cp4 follow up

Casio the next px-5s..

Nord lead 5 or C3d or maybe even both..

Spectrasonics should present their stylus rmx follow up..

Akai wil show a keyboard with mpc touch and Advance VIP controlls

And finally Behringer will show a workstation...

Which will both play VSTs.and will be expendable with analogue circuit boards..

There should be enough for some heavy GAS,..

I doubt Casio will have any update to the 5S...they still sell bucket loads of them, so why spend wasted money on new tech? They have developed other keys ranges around the 5S, but it they have left it alone. When you're on a good thing.....

I dont think they evensell 10% of what they could sell if they did an updated 5s with the new interface and some new features/improved sound...

Sometimes killing the cash cow with new innovation is the best long term business strategy. In other industries, the companies that held onto their old revenue model lost out on new opportunities.

Steve Coscia

Korg could still be showing a Kronos replacement. Maybe theyre being exceptionally secretive about it.

this guess work has surfaced same time, other months, for the past 3 years

In hind sight, that guesswork was incorrect.

This has been repeated a few times. Our mod from the Kronos FB group visited Korg HQ in Japan and sat down with engineers.

Bottom line, while of course NDA'a are king at HQ, it was the reasoned opinion , based on this visit, that no new Kronos replacement this year or NAMM 2019. That an OS update might resurface for the K's and K2, based on the support by Korg.

Thats the best close up speculation we have. Thats what I go by.

I see no harm in waiting 2 months for NAMM 2019. Plus we can observe if there are substantial K2 price reductions for factory new [ forget tea leaf reading on refurbs] at retail over the next 60/90 days.

The K2 is outstanding at reaching music goals if anyone is inclined. So waiting, month after month after month might stall music goals.

Reaching my music goals is more important than trying to 'hedge ' the moving keyboard

market in our niche.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Technology has come such a long way that sometimes snapping up an existing keyboard at a closeout price can be a good investment. As long as the upgrade to an existing model is an improvement over your current main KB

I'm still using my Motif ES8 and it would be nice to get a newer model with a large color screen, half-peddling, twice as many elements and sounds, in a later model with a built in sequencer. I've seen them for sale in the used market, and if I were still an active player and had some $$$ I might be tempted. But alas, I'm way over the hill and not rolling in the money.

But for younger folks, some of the current models can be a bargain.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model. Oh well, as usual as soon as I buy something the next model comes out. But lets at least hope it has a better keybed, right everyone? (Though I don't find it to be the worst).

Yeah, the Krome was introduced in 2012, I believe, it's due for replacement. I'd be very interested, but I do hope they'll go with a traditional 76 rather than the odd C-to-C 73 they have now.

And this wouldn't be a Zephonic post if I didn't moan about aftertouch a little. so there.

Looks like GC has the 73 and 88 marked down now too. Yep, this should be interesting.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yeah, the Krome was introduced in 2012, I believe, it's due for replacement. I'd be very interested, but I do hope they'll go with a traditional 76 rather than the odd C-to-C 73 they have now.

And this wouldn't be a Zephonic post if I didn't moan about aftertouch a little. so there.

By your logic, the Kronos is also due for a replacement.

The current Kronos 2 was introduced in 2014 or 2015, I think.

The current Kronos 2 was introduced in 2014 or 2015, I think.

But the kronos 2 is identical in features to the Orriginal and the X

The only thing they changed was the mainboard and cpu, as they ran out of those

But in power and functionallity its the same as the orriginal K and the X

Since you can install a simple software update, and buy an expansion to upgrade them..

Rumors spreading about a new Kronos or Krome coming at NAMM. People referring to people in the know. Very hush-hush, but definitely got me salivating.

Korg rumor spreading is the annual Internet event in December

a Krome replacement is a no brainer. Price has been cut. Obvious signal of EOL, potential replacement sounds reasonable.

Kronos ? nothing obvious to support EOL. Sketchy internet sources etc etc. Not seeing or reading anything thats more than a cup of coffee.

And not to be forgotten, Korg launched LS Kronos June 2017 and the Grand Stage July 2017. Kronos derivatives. Why tank potential sales with a " Kronos replacement " ?

That business point seems logical.

If anything, Korg could introduce another 'rebranded ' expensive synth which has some of the strengths of Kronos. Another $2500 synth product. But it won't be called Kronos 3. Korg will continue to offer Kronos 2 for another full year, or thru 2019.

Thats my guesswork for ' new'. Same old same old and a 'new' $2500 synth [not named Kronos].

Above is IMO. I wouldn't do the Internet sketchy thing.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

As usual, I am looking ( begging ) for a pass.

I am willing to offer cartage to and from the NAMM site in exchange. Will be driving a Nissan Quest Van , so I could potentially haul a lot of stuff.

I can make the trip from LAX or wherever.

I was kind of bugged when a forum member actually reprimanded me for offering this a few years ago. Give me a break!

Anyway if you can help out PM me.

Thank you

Rumors spreading about a new Kronos or Krome coming at NAMM. People referring to people in the know. Very hush-hush, but definitely got me salivating.

a Krome replacement is a no brainer. Price has been cut. Obvious signal of EOL, potential replacement sounds reasonable.

Kronos ? nothing obvious to support EOL. Sketchy internet sources etc etc. Not seeing or reading anything thats more than a cup of coffee.

And not to be forgotten, Korg launched LS Kronos June 2017 and the Grand Stage July 2017. Kronos derivatives. Why tank potential sales with a " Kronos replacement " ?

If anything, Korg could introduce another 'rebranded ' expensive synth which has some of the strengths of Kronos. Another $2500 synth product. But it won't be called Kronos 3. Korg will continue to offer Kronos 2 for another full year, or thru 2019.

Thats my guesswork for ' new'. Same old same old and a 'new' $2500 synth [not named Kronos].

Sweetwater has been offering incentives on buying a Kronos for a few months now. They have been trying different things like a free Minilogue or a free stand. If the Kronos was selling well, would they do that?

Long ago I scanned the market for best available workstations for me and selected Motif XF as best fit for me. 3 months later Korg came out with Kronos, which was not an option at time of my choice.

I bought an MODX7 in October. 3 months later will be NAMM 2019 ...

if anyone is interested in who will release a major product at NAMM 2021, I'll be sure to post what I bought the preceding October 2020 :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Sweetwater has been offering incentives on buying a Kronos for a few months now. They have been trying different things like a free Minilogue or a free stand. If the Kronos was selling well, would they do that?

They also offer free HS-5 studio monitors with the purchase of a Montage. Sometimes promos are just that, not an indication of anything else.

But yeah, maybe theres a new Kronos-class instrument coming. Still, I think an updated Krome is much more important. The current one is not that competitive anymore.

The convention is not open to the general public, that's why.

That's what you think. There are many legitimate ways that one can purchase a badge. In a similar thread I mentioned a few examples. It was called Namm 2019 planning or something.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

The convention is not open to the general public, that's why.

That's what you think. There are many legitimate ways that one can purchase a badge. In a similar thread I mentioned a few examples. It was called Namm 2019 planning or something.

Clarifying my previous post:

I know that if one is a member of AES, then that person can get a badge. What I meant by my post is that one can not just walk up to the convention center doors and pay to get in.

:nopity:

Clarifying my previous post:

I know that if one is a member of AES, then that person can get a badge. What I meant by my post is that one can not just walk up to the convention center doors and pay to get in.

Dave! What you said was this:

"The convention is not open to the general public, that's why."

There's so many things wrong with that post! In fact your own clarification was longer than the original post which is just an opinion.

Obviously, it's not as easy as buying a burger but if one is really interested in the event, there are MANY ways to obtain a badge legally. Becoming a member of AES is one of many ways.

Thousands of people do just that so your original comment is hardly the reason why should one 'beg' for a pass and get their posts deleted, when they can do a little homework on the subject.

Because of posts like yours, many believe the NAMM show is only open for those who are directly or indirectly affiliated with a NAMM member. Absolutely not true!

In any case....LX88, if you're still reading this thread, I strongly recommend that you register here:

https://registration.experientevent.com/showamm191/flow/NONM#/registrant//Dashboard/

Go through those options and see if any of them apply to you. I mean you don't even have to be specific. Sometimes, it's as easy as providing a URL to a music website that has your name on it!!! Submit the application. Make sure to use this promotional code. "AttendNAMM" (Not sure if this code has an expiration date though)

In few days, you'll get an answer from them. You won't be charged till you get approved. Give this a try! There's nothing to lose.

Dave was correct in that NAMM is not open to the general public.

While it was nice to provide the registration link, it is still not open to the GENERAL PUBLIC as you must have a membership to obtain a visitor badge, and members must have a role in providing products, components, resale, distribution, and/or services in a professional role. Nowhere on that link is there an option for general public, and as it is a private organization they can refuse your membership request.

NAMM has had problems the last few years with visitors - attendees who are 'guests' of NAMM members - being reckless and members complaining about being unable to conduct business over the 'visitors' playing too loud (guitar amps, synths, etc). As a result, NAMM has been limiting visitor badges.

While it was nice to provide the registration link, it is still not open to the GENERAL PUBLIC as you must have a membership to obtain a visitor badge, and members must have a role in providing products, components, resale, distribution, and/or services in a professional role. Nowhere on that link is there an option for general public, and as it is a private organization they can refuse your membership request.

NAMM has had problems the last few years with visitors - attendees who are 'guests' of NAMM members - being reckless and members complaining about being unable to conduct business over the 'visitors' playing too loud (guitar amps, synths, etc). As a result, NAMM has been limiting visitor badges.

Being too loud? Booths get reprimanded a lot for being too loud and it has nothing to do with guest visitors! You can be an official NAMM member and get loud. It happens all the time. I've attended the winter NAMM over 20 times.

Again, the general public (meaning music enthusiasts I guess) can easily obtain a badge. My friend just received his approval last week. He only plays piano for a local church 10:00 to 11:00 every sunday. That's it! His girl friend also applied for a badge. She's a freelance musician/conductor. She was also approved. Now both can visit the show! They have zero connection to any NAMM member. It cost $25 per badge by the way.

Of course they're entitled to deny any persons. That's why it's called an application I guess.

Being too loud? Booths get reprimanded a lot for being too loud and it has nothing to do with guest visitors! You can be an official NAMM member and get loud. It happens all the time. I've attended the winter NAMM over 20 times.

Again, the general public (meaning music enthusiasts I guess) can easily obtain a badge. My friend just received his approval last week. He only plays piano for a local church 10:00 to 11:00 every sunday. That's it! His girl friend also applied for a badge. She's a freelance musician/conductor. She was also approved. Now both can visit the show! They have zero connection to any NAMM member. It cost $25 per badge by the way.

Of course they're entitled to deny any persons. That's why it's called an application I guess.

Ward, aren't you being a little tough on the Beaver? Offering some help for someone find a way in to NAMM is all fine and appreciated. But stopping just short of calling a forum member a liar when in fact the statement is true is a tad overbearing and unneeded.

NAMM is not open to the general public. That is just fact. period.

can one join an organization or otherwise find a non-public way in - sure, if one works to try and strives to do that, many things are possible. But if NAMM were open to the general public, like an Auto Show, none of that would be necessary.

I have a pass this year - one of the guys in one of my gigs has a guy who ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

general public does not mean music enthusiasts who work around the general public restriction to get approved by an entity who can then issue an otherwise unavailable badge. It means the exact opposite of that.

Archived