Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM January 2019

Radagast

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incidentally, I love the phrase Brick & Mordor. I just need to figure out when exactly it is appropriate to use it. Is it the dark and gloomy equivalent of the Yellow Brick Road? A retail establishment whose staff resemble orcs? So much to ponder.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Incidentally, I love the phrase Brick & Mordor. I just need to figure out when exactly it is appropriate to use it. Is it the dark and gloomy equivalent of the Yellow Brick Road? A retail establishment whose staff resemble orcs? So much to ponder.

for once it wasnt guitar center

I was at the Brick & Mordor!!! Interstate Music in New Berlin WI yesterday; they had a PX5s on clearance.

Really

Yes

Thats interesting, maybe that means the PX5s is being discontinued

Yeah, maybe

:rolleyes:

so, based on this logic, any time that any store puts a keyboard on clearance that keyboard is being discontinued.

:nopity:

Since the PC3 line, there was the PC3K and A line; then the Artis stage piano, and their current efforts are on the Forte.

PC3 operating system updates including the K and A are probably over. Current efforts are updating and adding capabilities to the Forte series.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I was at the Brick & Mordor!!! Interstate Music in New Berlin WI yesterday; they had a PX5s on clearance.

Really

Yes

Thats interesting, maybe that means the PX5s is being discontinued

Yeah, maybe

:rolleyes:

so, based on this logic, any time that any store puts a keyboard on clearance that

keyboard is being discontinued.

Clearance is different than demo-and its due

Found this video of the px5 that has, to me, a really great sound; like one of the nicest digital pianos, especially the solo.

I would love to see something ambitious and new from Kurzweil now that they appear to have their feet solidly under them and demand for the Forte appears to have been strong. Im very happy with my Forte, certainly, but its also very much an iterative evolution of what theyve done before with some aspects long overdue for revision.

I was eagerly hoping for a K3000 for the first few years of this millennium but now Im resigned to being pleasantly surprised if it does ever come to pass.

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model.

A multi-engine Krome 2 would be a perfect upgrade... to compete with the Yamaha MODX.

Since the Krome is considered a little sibling to the Kronos, it would seem logical that Korg would upgrade the Kronos first, then come with an update to the Krome, based on the Kronos 2 successor.

For me, the Forte was/is the K3000.

The leap from the K1000 to K2000 was enormous. We went from a basic sample ROM playback device to everything VAST has to offer. All of the changes since then feel pretty evolutionary by comparison, though they're all certainly welcome and in many cases very meaningful. My tendency is to think of the Forte as a K2900 because some of the fundamental limitations of the original K2000 still stand. Most notably, the 50Hz modulation clock that keeps the envelopes from feeling especially snappy and prevents audio-rate modulation from sources like LFOs.

Who knows what they have in the works, and on what timeframe? I wouldn't turn down another major Forte software release but I do hope they'll eventually focus on rethinking some of the fundamentals again.

My tendency is to think of the Forte as a K2900 because some of the fundamental limitations of the original K2000 still stand. Most notably, the 50Hz modulation clock that keeps the envelopes from feeling especially snappy and prevents audio-rate modulation from sources like LFOs.

Who knows what they have in the works, and on what timeframe? I wouldn't turn down another major Forte software release but I do hope they'll eventually focus on rethinking some of the fundamentals again.

I think it would have to come for free, i.e. no additional labor, testing etc. meaning it has to be part of a much larger advancement; maybe a knobby approach to VAST :idk ? Unfortunately only you, A.C. and maybe 20 other people in the world care about the nuts and bolts of VAST including audio modulation etc. It's not what's going to sell the next model imo.

The leap from the K1000 to K2000 was enormous. We went from a basic sample ROM playback device to everything VAST has to offer. All of the changes since then feel pretty evolutionary by comparison, though they're all certainly welcome and in many cases very meaningful. My tendency is to think of the Forte as a K2900 because some of the fundamental limitations of the original K2000 still stand.

Completely fair, and well said. :thu:

it has to be part of a much larger advancement; maybe a knobby approach to VAST :idk ?

Cough, cough...VA1...cough... :facepalm:

Woulda coulda shoulda. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately only you, A.C. and maybe 20 other people in the world care about the nuts and bolts of VAST including audio modulation etc.

C'mon - that's not fair. Gotta be closer to 60...okay, maybe 75. ;):D

It's not what's going to sell the next model imo.

Probably correct....if for no other reason than where so many current offerings (both hardware and software) have already gone technologically, along with the increase in savvy on the part of the average user. Challenging to impress with that angle these days...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The leap from the K1000 to K2000 was enormous. We went from a basic sample ROM playback device to everything VAST has to offer. All of the changes since then feel pretty evolutionary by comparison, though they're all certainly welcome and in many cases very meaningful. My tendency is to think of the Forte as a K2900 because some of the fundamental limitations of the original K2000 still stand. Most notably, the 50Hz modulation clock that keeps the envelopes from feeling especially snappy and prevents

audio-rate modulation from sources like LFOs.

I wish they would start over on a 9 ft Steinway and offer it on the Forte

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model.

A multi-engine Krome 2 would be a perfect upgrade... to compete with the Yamaha MODX.

Since the Krome is considered a little sibling to the Kronos, it would seem logical that Korg would upgrade the Kronos first, then come with an update to the Krome, based on the Kronos 2 successor.

The Krome is not really a sibling of the kronos.. its more like the follow up of the m3

They have different engines, even the sample engine is different..

A friend had an Ensoniq EPS16. He bought a sample labeled "Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Piano". I played on the real deal at NAMM... and the sample was nowhere near it.

Frankly I never heard a good piano sample on those Ensoniqs.

Still using my Kurzweil 1000PX for piano. If it ain't broke...

The Krome is not really a sibling of the kronos.. its more like the follow up of the m3 M50

Fixed.

I approve of perfect knowledge of Korg keyboard history :2thu:

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I wish they would start over on a 9 ft Steinway and offer it on the Forte

Dave Weiser is the solution to this. His Steinway patches are very good.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

There is something brewing at Korg, something big..

One rumor says its the next Kronos..

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines.

They need one. I had their PA4X last year for a week before I sent it back. Weak sounds, especially piano. Too big and bulky.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

They need one. I had their PA4X last year for a week before I sent it back. Weak sounds, especially piano. Too big and bulky.

Thats a concern I have had about Kong's direction for next year, etc.

I have enjoyed the 'separation ' between Korg arrangers and workstations[ Kronos ].

I would be disappointed if Korg shoved these 2 niches together ,make a 2 headed monster keyboard

so to speak. I enjoy the articulation of the arrangers- but I have zero interest in the canned stuff.

I like rolling my own parts, cooking originals using excellent 3rd party sounds, with just a little help, if needed.

This is an old discussion here, all about preference.

[70's Songwriter]

Thats a concern I have had about Kong's direction for next year, etc.

I have enjoyed the 'separation ' between Korg arrangers and workstations[ Kronos ].

I would be disappointed if Korg shoved these 2 niches together ,make a 2 headed monster keyboard

so to speak. I enjoy the articulation of the arrangers- but I have zero interest in the canned stuff.

I like rolling my own parts, cooking originals using excellent 3rd party sounds, with just a little help, if needed.

This is an old discussion here, all about preference.

I was mainly just shocked that the programs were so weak. I didnt like any of the guitars or organs, either. For $4500 it should have the best piano Korg has.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Wonder how many people dont even know who Ray Kurzweil was or what he did for generations of musicians to come?

A damn genius who devoted his entire life to making others lives more enjoyable.

Even the KSP FX System while not being changed much for years was on the edge then and still very formidable.

And Im an FX Freak.

Ever since my first journey into giant sewers in St. Louis a s child Ive been addicted to effects.

Spent thousands back in the day and still spend thousands on outboard FX.

But Ray Kurzweil changed all of our lives for the better.

I showed my son who he was and now he wants a Forte.. Hes only 11, I fucked up good because he wont take a Yamaha PSR now. Wish I had a Forte when I was 11...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I've had it for the past 3 years and to me it sounds pretty good actually! Both 61 and 76 keys fit in the trunk of a compact car. I like it a lot .

Factory Pianos are good enough too but you can also use the free Salamander pianos.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Wonder how many people dont even know who Ray Kurzweil was or what he did for generations of musicians to come?

A damn genius who devoted his entire life to making others lives more enjoyable.

us geezers likely know about Ray.

I think the problem is bigger than 1 genius. One of my rants, is the casual disregard/indifference for all important history, be it tech, or progress etc. I have to put the breaks on.

[70's Songwriter]

Archived