Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM January 2019

Radagast

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always something to look forward to... Summer NAMM, Winter NAMM, Viet NAMM. :laugh:

my industry contacts have whispered of a new game changer synth;

Product is named " Apocalypse "

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Waldorf has promised a full reveal of the Kyra (formerly Valkyrie) FPGA-based synthesizer. They originally indicated that it would be available as of the show but given their slippery timeline for Quantum deliveries that might be optimistic.

Gattobus has stated that he's been working with something new from Roland that will be announced.

Synclavier has a "how long can you hold your breath" teaser on their site regarding something to be announced.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

still 2 months away. The industry is focused on selling current inventory during the holiday season. Leaks about furure products do not help that.

you are correct, of course.

But some of us are a tad obsessive.

And silly.

[70's Songwriter]

There is something brewing at Korg, something big..

One rumor says its the next Kronos..

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines

Yamaha should present an cp1/cp4 follow up

Casio the next px-5s..

Nord lead 5 or C3d or maybe even both..

Spectrasonics should present their stylus rmx follow up..

Akai wil show a keyboard with mpc touch and Advance VIP controlls

And finally Behringer will show a workstation...

Which will both play VSTs.and will be expendable with analogue circuit boards..

There should be enough for some heavy GAS,..

still 2 months away. The industry is focused on selling current inventory during the holiday season. Leaks about furure products do not help that.

Maybe so, but as a consumer Im interested in how competition makes things better for us consumers, and making smart, informed choices in how we spend our money. It used to be that news from NAMM was considered counterproductive to sales of products already on the market, so maybe you should protest any NAMM reporting as well. If you arent interested in future products, then feel free to avoid this thread.

FWIW, I created two other NAMM threads, so that we have a separate thread for each of our three types of NAMM discussions. This thread would count as the annual advance thread for speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements. The second thread is an advance thread for planning: how to get passes, when and where to meet up with other forum members, etc., and the third thread is the traditional NAMM Reports thread for product announcements, videos, and reports from members on what and who they saw at the Convention Center.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm hoping (but doubtful) Moog will announce a long overdue polyphonic synth.

Like the Moog one that they anounced last month?

Some day Markyboarding will be a ban-worthy violation of forum rules. But 'till then ...

Yup confirmed- there's always One. :steve: :poke::D

Synclavier has a "how long can you hold your breath" teaser on their site regarding something to be announced.

In researching the Synclavier V, I noticed the wise omission of a sequencer. Better to use the DAW you know over NED's older, proprietary approach. I do like the instrument's basic sound, but FM is easily had in many more accessible flavors now. You'll have to feel seriously drawn to it to embrace its approach to additive, sampling proper and resynthesis. In the case of this or the Fairlight V, you should do a careful cost/benefit analysis concerning the work load required to make either one sing. The presets do scream "EIGHTIES!," so be prepared to build your own library early on or be relegated to just one musical era. If you spend 12 hours editing partials by hand every Sunday, see physician. If they're considering a baby hardware Synclavier of some kind, watch the sales of their logo stickers jump so people can put them on their Casios & Krosses.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Behringer won't be exhibiting at NAMM

then feel free to avoid this thread.

Wasn't trying to be snarky, sorry if my post came off that way. I will take your advice however.

:nopity:

Another Rumor says its a new high end arranger with 2 sound engines...

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model. Oh well, as usual as soon as I buy something the next model comes out. But lets at least hope it has a better keybed, right everyone? (Though I don't find it to be the worst).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

FWIW, I created two other NAMM threads, so that we have a separate thread for each of our three types of NAMM discussions.

And very grateful we are too Geoff.

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK, I have about as much chance of flying to the moon as I have of getting to NAAM.

I REALLY look forward to your reports every year, long may they continue.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model.

A multi-engine Krome 2 would be a perfect upgrade... to compete with the Yamaha MODX.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm about 90% sure it's going to be a Krome successor; Sweetwater has the Krome 61 listed as no longer available. See it for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Krome61--korg-krome-61-key-synthesizer-workstation $449 off the Krome 88 too. I wonder what will be in the next model.

A multi-engine Krome 2 would be a perfect upgrade... to compete with the Yamaha MODX.

As a long time Kronos owner, a Krome 2 [simplified light weight low cost stripped down Kronos] isn't of interest.

If the tea leaves are correct, Korg is simply mimicing or following Yamaha.

Korg use to be a 'leader' not a box moving 'follower' with flag ship type products.

And the Kronos LS has been out for a year. True, nothing low cost there.

What I like about NAMM, its a chance to see the priorities and product strategy

of a co like Korg or Roland.

My point is that 'leading ' is more interesting than 'following ' or copying.

[70's Songwriter]

I would love to see Korg come out with a line based on the OS found in the Grandstage and Vox Continental. Four engines: HD-1, AL-1, EP-1, SGX-2. This would have the faster boot time found on the GS/VC and provide a more performance focus. So eliminate the less used MOD-7 and STR-1 as well as KARMA and the sequencer. Keep SST and Set List mode. Be able to add third-party sample libraries (what's available for the Kronos dwarfs anything else out there, so don't lose that asset). Personally, I'd like to see them aim a little higher in price and not compromise on actions, but whatever.

Engines are important. VA, organ and piano specific engines make a big difference. Sample-based engines can't do everything.

Busch.

[

I would love to see Korg come out with a line based on the OS found in the Grandstage and Vox Continental. Four engines: HD-1, AL-1, EP-1, SGX-2. This would have the faster boot time found on the GS/VC and provide a more performance focus. So eliminate the less used MOD-7 and STR-1 as well as KARMA and the sequencer. Keep SST and Set List mode. Be able to add third-party sample libraries (what's available for the Kronos dwarfs anything else out there, so don't lose that asset). Personally, I'd like to see them aim a little higher in price and not compromise on actions, but whatever.

Engines are important. VA, organ and piano specific engines make a big difference. Sample-based engines can't do everything.

Busch.

I agree, engines are important.

I have had this question for awhile.

I don't much development of the MOD-7 and STR-1 engines.

Its been + 7 yrs plus Oasys time.

For all that time, it seems that only the surface is scratched for MOD-7 and STR-1

If you agree, do you have an opinion why ?

Thanks

[70's Songwriter]

For all that time, it seems that only the surface is scratched for MOD-7 and STR-1

Thanks

Both are challenging to program. With FM, you're dealing with the interaction of modulators to operators in chains. With STR-1 you're dealing with excitation, damping, dispersion, resonators, etc. What do those things even mean? Most people can handle Minimoog-level programming. Not that the idea of oscillators, filters, envelope generators wasn't a challenge initially.

Busch.

Thanks

Both are challenging to program. With FM, you're dealing with the interaction of modulators to operators in chains. With STR-1 you're dealing with excitation, damping, dispersion, resonators, etc. What do those things even mean? Most people can handle Minimoog-level programming. Not that the idea of oscillators, filters, envelope generators wasn't a challenge initially.

Busch.

I could be wrong but sense a similarity to my experience in big software co's.

Specifically for large co OS development, being a Linix guru is not enough. Software development tools are available vs ' rolling your own ' for software for embedded specialized devices.

The development tools speed up the software writing , and the full device is available to market in less time. Being " first " is huge in the tech arena.

Anyway, that the pitch behind 'software development tools'.

So when I see 'Both are challenging to program' it could be due to missing

' middleware' or Korg not providing adequate developer tools

for MOD-7 and STR-1.

[70's Songwriter]

FWIW, I created two other NAMM threads, so that we have a separate thread for each of our three types of NAMM discussions.

And very grateful we are too Geoff.

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK, I have about as much chance of flying to the moon as I have of getting to NAAM.

I REALLY look forward to your reports every year, long may they continue.

Thank you for your kind words, Six-string-man. Of course, while I typically get the ball rolling and contribute heavily to that thread, I consider its life blood to be that of the many contributions from our community. I look forward to it every year as well!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Busch.

Really dig this performance-oriented approach, Busch. Hope it happens. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Casio the next px-5s..

I doubt Casio will have any update to the 5S...they still sell bucket loads of them, so why spend wasted money on new tech? They have developed other keys ranges around the 5S, but it they have left it alone. When you're on a good thing.....

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Casio the next px-5s..

I doubt Casio will have any update to the 5S...they still sell bucket loads of them, so why spend wasted money on new tech? They have developed other keys ranges around the 5S, but it they have left it alone. When you're on a good thing.....

I dont think they evensell 10% of what they could sell if they did an updated 5s with the new interface and some new features/improved sound...

Archived