Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Here is my contribution. This one of two songs we did 4th of July 2012. We were 11/12 and had only learned two song.

It was at a park across from where we lived and some friends of our parents let us play. We didn't have Daru Oda to play bass and whistle. Michael and Timmy did their best.

https://youtu.be/sr1qqUL3R4U

• Like 4

Jennifer S.

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

This one of two songs we did 4th of July 2012. We were 11/12 and had only learned two song.

It was at a park across from where we lived and some friends of our parents let us play. We didn't have Daru Oda to play bass and whistle. Michael and Timmy did their best.

"Michael and Timmy did their best." 😄 :thu: That's great!

8 hours ago, Larryz said:

Everybody has a tune or two they really like while others wonder why?  We could probably do a thread on it, but here's one of mine:

😎👍

That's a really good one, Larry:)  Them brothers Gibb were quite talented and many of their songs were a cut or two above the average for Pop and Disco and whatever they did.

When I was much younger, I considered them 'Disco' and not cool, but over time my Music Appreciation has become broader and deeper and I recognize and enjoy just how good their harmonies, melodies, arrangements, just about every facet of their recordings could often be.

That all said, my favorite version of the Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody"- and one of my favorite recorded songs!- is the staticy-Velcro-fuzz and ringing, running away tape-echo drenched cover re-arrangement by Dara Puspita ("Girl Flowers", more or less) from Indonesia. (Bear in mind that when the all-girl band started, the Indonesian government of that time had begun imprisoning Western-influenced Rock and Pop musicians! Brave souls!) I know I've posted this here before, but it bears repeating again, again...

Further furthermore: (And I think I'll be breaking out and plugging in a flanger and tape-echo today! :D :rawk: :cool:) 

AND

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

20 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

It's catchy, it's silly, it's 'lite', it's no progressive masterpiece but it's good songwriting. Simple can be good.

What about "Give Me Back My Wig" by Hound Dog Taylor? Gad I love that song!

I wonder how many polydactyls actually get into music…

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

12 hours ago, Larryz said:

Everybody has a tune or two they really like while others wonder why? 

Absolutely!

My personal collection is over 5k CDs, covering a huge swath of time and musical genres. I’d have more if practical matters like $$$ and storage space didn’t impose tyrannous limits.  And I can guaran-damn-tee that anyone browsing the racks would eventually find something that would cause them to doubt my sanity.

And of course, that’s not including the stuff I HAVEN’T bought!

Hell- there’s stuff I absolutely don’t play for certain people.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I wonder how many polydactyls actually get into music…

Why, you could count 'em on one... hand... ehr.

Nevermind.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Saw this late last night- the title track from The Mars Volta’s new album:

Cool.  :cool:  Intricate rhythmic pieces interlocking, great music all around.  The lyrics- including hastily Google Translated Español to English- are something to ponder, not just shallow fluff...

I really like The Mars Volta; I was and still am blown away by their 2003 debut album, 
De-Loused in the Comatorium, an amazing marvel of Prog Rock if ever there was one. (Waddya know, it turns out that tomorrow, June 24th, is the 19th Anniversary of its release!)

On 6/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, IMMusicRulz said:

I was afraid I would get blacklisted for liking Bay City Rollers, but this song is so happy it's hard not to live.

The girl who lived across the street when I was a kid was BCR fanatic, though a bit late for that... this song and "Rock and Roll Love Letter" are my faves...

which reminds me... my wife and her friends as kids turned on the TV one day after school and saw this zany show called "The Monkees," and loved it/them... and when it was over they walked down the street to a convenience store and were excited to find teen magazine special issues devoted to them... so they went to buy them, and the man working the counter looked at the magazines and then looked at my wife and her friends and said "Y'all know these guys are my age, right? This isn't new... they're from the 1960s!" And they were heartbroken...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, p90jr said:

...which reminds me... my wife and her friends as kids turned on the TV one day after school and saw this zany show called "The Monkees," and loved it/them... and when it was over they walked down the street to a convenience store and were excited to find teen magazine special issues devoted to them... so they went to buy them, and the man working the counter looked at the magazines and then looked at my wife and her friends and said "Y'all know these guys are my age, right? This isn't new... they're from the 1960s!" And they were heartbroken...

I heard they monkey around...

On 6/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, Larryz said:

Everybody has a tune or two they really like while others wonder why?  We could probably do a thread on it, but here's one of mine:

😎👍

Proud Bee Gees fan here!!! This song is up there with Bacharach & David... I grew up with my mom playing Bee Gees records next to Dionne Warwick all the time, so they're linked in my mind.

Barry Gibb is the second most "successful*" composer of all time, number one is Paul McCartney...

Someone called bullshit on that fact when I repeated it, arguing "Bach or Mozart or Beethoven are the most successful composers, their music has been played for centuries!" Well, how much money do you imagine they got from that? Neither Bach nor Mozart nor Beethoven were rich (aside from having Kings as patrons at times) or famous or even well-known outside of their countries in their lifetimes because... they couldn't be! There was no broadcasting... no radio or TV or newspapers to transmit their music or stories around the world or to the other side of their continent... they were locally-known while they were alive, and became famous in time as technologies allowed their works and legends to spread. Even among circles of people devoted to music there was no mechanism to share their music widely even if their reputations spread. The very reason Kings patronized musicians and composers was for their own entertainment. If they wanted to hear music they had to have it played by someone for them, and if they wanted to hear new music they had to have it written for them. The "world" was smaller then, but not as connected.

The weird fact of the day the other day from a site I follow was: "There was a unique piece of music commissioned by the Vatican that was only played in The Sistine Chapel... the musicians were sworn to the Church not to copy it or teach it to anybody else, or perform it elsewhere if they memorized it. You could only hear it in the Sistine Chapel...

UNTIL... Mozart's father took him to the Sistine Chapel as a boy, and he heard the piece... then later that day he perfectly transcribed it from memory, then let people widely copy his transcription."

• Like 3

Roger Glover is a really good bass player for Deep Purple. I think there was a lot of great sportsmanship in Deep Purple. I often wonder what pedal Roger Glover uses on his Rickenbacker to give it that distorted sound. Maybe it was a Dunlop wah pedal?

I bought this album for $10.00 used at one of the local music retailers I frequent often. Both Fireball and Strange Kind Of Woman are fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Roger Glover is a really good bass player for Deep Purple. I think there was a lot of great sportsmanship in Deep Purple. I often wonder what pedal Roger Glover uses on his Rickenbacker to give it that distorted sound. Maybe it was a Dunlop wah pedal?

He's said in an interview that he borrowed a pedal from Ritchie Blackmore for that, and didn't remember just what it was. Ritchie Blackmore is known to have had a Sola Sound Professional MK II Tone Bender back then, so that's probably what it was.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Before he was a member of Blood Sweat and Tears, David Clayton Thomas actually put out a few blues rock albums in the sixties in his native Canada. This song failed to chart in America, largely due to its anti Vietnam War lyrics.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, p90jr said:

Proud Bee Gees fan here!!! This song is up there with Bacharach & David... I grew up with my mom playing Bee Gees records next to Dionne Warwick all the time, so they're linked in my mind.

Barry Gibb is the second most "successful*" composer of all time, number one is Paul McCartney...

Someone called bullshit on that fact when I repeated it, arguing "Bach or Mozart or Beethoven are the most successful composers, their music has been played for centuries!" Well, how much money do you imagine they got from that? Neither Bach nor Mozart nor Beethoven were rich (aside from having Kings as patrons at times) or famous or even well-known outside of their countries in their lifetimes because... they couldn't be! There was no broadcasting... no radio or TV or newspapers to transmit their music or stories around the world or to the other side of their continent... they were locally-known while they were alive, and became famous in time as technologies allowed their works and legends to spread. Even among circles of people devoted to music there was no mechanism to share their music widely even if their reputations spread. The very reason Kings patronized musicians and composers was for their own entertainment. If they wanted to hear music they had to have it played by someone for them, and if they wanted to hear new music they had to have it written for them. The "world" was smaller then, but not as connected.

The weird fact of the day the other day from a site I follow was: "There was a unique piece of music commissioned by the Vatican that was only played in The Sistine Chapel... the musicians were sworn to the Church not to copy it or teach it to anybody else, or perform it elsewhere if they memorized it. You could only hear it in the Sistine Chapel...

UNTIL... Mozart's father took him to the Sistine Chapel as a boy, and he heard the piece... then later that day he perfectly transcribed it from memory, then let people widely copy his transcription."

Beautiful music, thanks!!!

I now have to wonder what heights Bob Seger got to in terms of success. Pretty OK as a rock musician but consider how long Chevy used the line "Like a Rock" for their pickup commercials and you have a different income stream entirely. Doesn't make him as good as Sir Paul or Barry but it did make him lucky. 

I'd be surprised if he didn't make more money off that one line from that one song than everything else he did put together. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

There are a lot of good Chicago songs featuring the guitar skills of Terry Kath, but this one is probably his best solo:

You can obviously hear why Jimi Hendrix considered Terry Kath to be a better guitarist than him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

I had no idea any film from these gigs even existed. This got posted 9 days ago; let's see how long it stays up.

Love the Octavio with the guitar's volume-knob lowered at first, beginning around 6:35... ! :cool: 💖

• Like 2

The Deep Purple lineup of David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes is often disliked by many DP fans, but I think Burn is just a fantastic album.

This clip was taken from the California Jam concert that Deep Purple played at alongside Emerson Lake and Palmer, Black Sabbath and the Eagles. Quite a lineup, right?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This is probably my all-time favorite Todd Rundgren song.

I dug it out to listen to for a lot of reasons.  Rundgren’s going on a tour with Adrian Belew celebrating Bowie’s music.  And the song’s message is, I think, one that needs repeating. ESPECIALLY in this current world.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

This is probably my all-time favorite Todd Rundgren song.

I dug it out to listen to for a lot of reasons.  Rundgren’s going on a tour with Adrian Belew celebrating Bowie’s music.  And the song’s message is, I think, one that needs repeating. ESPECIALLY in this current world.

If you are a Todd Rundgren fan, you should check out his Beatles tribute A Walk Down Abbey Road, that he did with Alan Parsons, Ann Wilson and John Entwistle.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Another all-time-favorite, this time, from Talk Talk.  It was such a departure for them- I’ve always wondered what was the catalyst.

I'm a fan of those records and have read a lot about them and the making of them... apparently as they could just do what they wanted more than direction from their label(s) they did... it all flowed at the time, to me... alongside The The and World Party and Depeche Mode, as the 80s went on a lot of electronic-based bands started incorporating guitars and acoustic piano as they grew out of synths, and dug back into the stuff they were into growing up before getting caught up in new wave.

• Like 2