Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

Don't get me started on Proper English dying by inches. Politics aside, I appreciated William Buckley as a fierce champion of getting the language right. Its fun to twist popular English like Silly Putty, but not knowing the basics so you can do that well is a truck wreck. Half of the local news crawls contain misspelled words on the hoof. Bloody bleeping bleep, etc.

I once worked as a copy editor and one evening, the assistant managing editor said "You're doing a pretty good job, but you need to tone it down a little. You're writing like an English major and most of our readers are at about an 8th grade level." I said "You're kidding." He just shook his head. Brrrr. :shudder:

I come to KC for the synths, but I'm also pleased by the literacy. 🤓 Gooooo READERS!!

Someone else gets it, thank you. It really is appalling. Yes, I see it in news, sports, even novels. I knew someone who wrote a book a few years back and even after hiring a professional service to help her write it, edit it (etc etc), I got a copy of the final product and much of it would make you cringe...not just things that were flat-out wrong, but weak writing in numerous ways.

I have my preferences of types and styles, but (within reasonable quality standards) there is no such thing as bad BBQ.

And chile without beans aint chile. It can still be good, but it aint chile. And white chile isn't really chile either. Yes I'm a chile racist. 

Similarly, pizza without pizza sauce and/or cheese aint pizza. 

43 minutes ago, Theo Verelst said:

Is the sexiest girl always right ?

No. Here's why. The so-called "sexiest" girl is under pressure from unwanted male attention, jealous female attention and social pressures of all kinds. That includes not seeing past her looks enough for her to just have a day like anyone else. She'll be underrated and undervalued, which will further hamper whatever powers she actually brings to the table. If she excels, she'll be seen as opposition. She'll always have to carefully sail being "sexy" through a world of the above. A certain amount of imbalance is automatically imposed. 

The "sexiest" girl is the one who knows how to maneuver without stepping on anyone while not losing ground as an artist, let's say, since we're at KC. She makes other people feel appreciated without seeking excess praise for herself. She has a collection of social and emotional planets & moons of her own, because she knows its not all about her. "Sexy" has very little to do with some airbrushed hardbody. Its about being an adept enough juggler. That aspect applies to men as well.

Before I ever saw a picture of her, I thought of Clare Torry as being as sexy as hell. She called it "caterwauling," but she's the singer/AUTHOR of that free-form closing vocal section of "The Great Gig In The Sky," from "Dark Side of the Moon." That's always been a major, ultimate musical moment for me. I mean, M'GOD, if that doesn't make you tingle every time, you need a neurologist. Doug Stanhope once said "Sex isn't the most intimate thing that can occur between two people. Burying a pet together, now that's intimate." Besides, isn't the sexiest girl in the room the one who finds YOU sexy? The defense rests, yer honor. 💪

https://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/dark-side-moon-clare-torrys-great-gig-sky

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 12/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, LarsHarner2 said:

Had the technology that exists now would have been available in the 60's and onwards, would we have ever had the Fender rhodes or DX7 piano sounds to name a few?

Had the path leading to the creation of Fender Rhodes and DX7 sounds been different and current technology been available in the 60's would there be Fender Rhodes and DX7 piano sounds?

Most likely no.

The development of technology depends on what is not available as well.

• 1 month later...

I recently noticed to my dismay how really not-so-healthy frozen veggies are in general. I've read articles that say they're comparable to fresh produce. Yeah right. Take a look at the back of any package and you'll likely find otherwise. Practically no nutrional value for most.

Yeah it's a wild life I live.

12 hours ago, bill5 said:

I recently noticed to my dismay how really not-so-healthy frozen veggies are in general.

There is a general belief that all processed and/or prepackaged food is not the most nutritious. 

However, frozen and canned foods has become the primary method of feeding a country of 335 million people. 

I seriously doubt the average American will go back to farming.  The ship Agrarian sailed a long time ago.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Has anyone checked out meat that's modified to taste just like veggies?

Then, there is the plant that has been modified as a meat substitute:

image.png.0b7271e7f082739b97b6df81e54e96ac.png

Eventually, the future of a meal will look like this:

image.png.7e217b93c69ac5862473ce18940ebce2.png

Thankfully, as a foodie, I won't be around and have to eat it.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You couldn't feed our squirming masses without industrial food production at high volumes. Notice how countries fare when that process breaks down too far. I just had my first fast food in a couple of months. I enjoyed it in part because I can live in a momentary state of denial that allows me to swallow.  

In my youth, I ate a fair number of things that should have killed me by now, such as "chili dogs" that looked as though they'd been ejected from a cow's butt intact. In my dotage, I just buy a huge sack of Senior Vittles and a fresh scoop. 🌭☠️

~ "King of the Hill"

On 2/6/2023 at 10:10 AM, ProfD said:

There is a general belief that all processed and/or prepackaged food is not the most nutritious. 

Which is a rather ridiculous belief as almost all food is "processed" in some way. It's not all TV dinners. My sister is the poster child for buying into stuff like that. 

My niece is taking piano lessons. Like many before her, one of the first songs she learned is "Oh Susannah." :) Anyway I never knew or cared about all the lyics...but here's part of them:

It rained all night the day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot I froze myself
Susanna, don't you cry

Say what? 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:12 AM, David Emm said:

No. Here's why. The so-called "sexiest" girl is under pressure from unwanted male attention, jealous female attention and social pressures of all kinds. That includes not seeing past her looks enough for her to just have a day like anyone else. She'll be underrated and undervalued, which will further hamper whatever powers she actually brings to the table. If she excels, she'll be seen as opposition. She'll always have to carefully sail being "sexy" through a world of the above. A certain amount of imbalance is automatically imposed. 

The "sexiest" girl is the one who knows how to maneuver without stepping on anyone while not losing ground as an artist, let's say, since we're at KC. She makes other people feel appreciated without seeking excess praise for herself. She has a collection of social and emotional planets & moons of her own, because she knows its not all about her. "Sexy" has very little to do with some airbrushed hardbody. Its about being an adept enough juggler. That aspect applies to men as well.

Before I ever saw a picture of her, I thought of Clare Torry as being as sexy as hell. She called it "caterwauling," but she's the singer/AUTHOR of that free-form closing vocal section of "The Great Gig In The Sky," from "Dark Side of the Moon." That's always been a major, ultimate musical moment for me. I mean, M'GOD, if that doesn't make you tingle every time, you need a neurologist. Doug Stanhope once said "Sex isn't the most intimate thing that can occur between two people. Burying a pet together, now that's intimate." Besides, isn't the sexiest girl in the room the one who finds YOU sexy? The defense rests, yer honor. 💪

https://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/dark-side-moon-clare-torrys-great-gig-sky

Nice article David!

Some additional background:  Clare’s vocal on GGITS is three takes stitched together.  In another interview she said words to the effect that she received pretty much zero feedback and walked out not knowing if any of her vocal would be used.  She’d also dismissed the session from her mind after that day until she realised her vocal had made the album some time later.

I’ve heard a couple of recordings of her singing the song live and in these she tends to improvise a bit.  Which is fair enough as she’s the original artist!

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

My niece is taking piano lessons. Like many before her, one of the first songs she learned is "Oh Susannah." :) Anyway I never knew or cared about all the lyics...but here's part of them:

It rained all night the day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot I froze myself to death
Susanna, don't you cry

Fixed.

Simple explanation: Foster was being silly.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

16 minutes ago, Tom Williams said:

Fixed.

Simple explanation: Foster was being silly.

Is that Steven Stinking Foster?!?!

No, it's Frederick Fucking Chopin!

Why, oh why, Wyatt do I have to post this here on this forum every fucking month????

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, Theo Verelst said:

Is the sexiest girl always right ?

I won't tell her she's wrong.

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

5 hours ago, time4jazz said:

I recently saw a bumper sticker: Save The Manuals

Ahh, the good old days. My Music-X, Bars & Pipes, and Cool Edit Pro manuals were like War and Peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'll take PDFs and say "Thank you." Logic 8's paper manuals were massive. If you had an undescended testicle and picked up the main box of them, that sucker would pop right out and you'd be signing bass PDQ.

~ "King of the Hill"