Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

A Beatles portrait - $120

Lego Beatles portrait

Inspired by the iconic portraits included in the Beatles" famous White Album, this new LEGO® building experience invites you to create one of four detailed wall art portraits of your favorite Beatle,

That"s actually pretty cool.

It seems a lot for what it is, but depending on the space you"re putting it in, it is actually pretty cool 'art" to display!

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

A Beatles portrait - $120

Lego Beatles portrait

Inspired by the iconic portraits included in the Beatles" famous White Album, this new LEGO® building experience invites you to create one of four detailed wall art portraits of your favorite Beatle,

That"s actually pretty cool.

It seems a lot for what it is, but depending on the space you"re putting it in, it is actually pretty cool 'art" to display!

Yeah, Lego seems to have some of the world's most creative people working there!

• 3 weeks later...

'Listening to Kenny G' premieres Thursday December 2 on HBOMax. I will be watching. Not my favorite artist but I've never understood the white-hot hatred some have expressed about the guy. He has his space and his place, and that place has made him the biggest selling instrumentalist of all time.

https://www.hbo.com/movies/music-box-listening-to-kenny-g

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

'Listening to Kenny G' premieres Thursday December 2 on HBOMax. I will be watching. Not my favorite artist but I've never understood the white-hot hatred some have expressed about the guy. He has his space and his place, and that place has made him the biggest selling instrumentalist of all time.

I always liked his soprano sound. It wasn't his fault he was a pop star. Good for him. I also love some of the parodies of him.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I used to see Jeff Lorber Fusion at Toad's Place in the early eighties and his saxophone player was Ken Gorelick, later to be known as Kenny G. He was a pretty good sax player in that band, I don't know what he's into now that he's Kenny G, but it's probably not what he was playing back then.

In the category of "Why doesn't this exist?"

Have you ever come to a familiar intersection that suddenly is no longer a 4-way stop with 4 stop signs? Well I lived many years before I did and it is a potential disaster. Everyone was used to stopping. Now the cross street retained the stop sign but the other street has a pass.

It is a precarious experience as you have to trust everyone has caught on and someone who is oblivious doesn't pull out in front of you thinking you are going to stop. For a while everyone proceeds cautiously. I also felt like I might have ran a stop sign, it just does not feel right at first. Also it can take days, weeks, months, years for everyone to pass through this once-familiar 4-way stop for the first time since the change. Someday there is likely to be a collision because of this change.

I propose a new road sign. Something alerting you that things have changed and proceed with extra caution. I was thinking a new universal symbol and special color. We all know Stop, Yield, Construction Zone, etc. Maybe being specific with this universal symbol would do the job, In this case: "STOP SIGN REMOVED" ...that is enough to scare people awake. It is almost as enlightening as "BRIDGE WASHED OUT AHEAD"

In the category of "Why doesn't this exist?"

Have you ever come to a familiar intersection that suddenly is no longer a 4-way stop with 4 stop signs? Well I lived many years before I did and it is a potential disaster. Everyone was used to stopping. Now the cross street retained the stop sign but the other street has a pass.

It is a precarious experience as you have to trust everyone has caught on and someone who is oblivious doesn't pull out in front of you thinking you are going to stop. For a while everyone proceeds cautiously. I also felt like I might have ran a stop sign, it just does not feel right at first. Also it can take days, weeks, months, years for everyone to pass through this once-familiar 4-way stop for the first time since the change. Someday there is likely to be a collision because of this change.

I propose a new road sign. Something alerting you that things have changed and proceed with extra caution. I was thinking a new universal symbol and special color. We all know Stop, Yield, Construction Zone, etc. Maybe being specific with this universal symbol would do the job, In this case: "STOP SIGN REMOVED" ...that is enough to scare people awake. It is almost as enlightening as "BRIDGE WASHED OUT AHEAD"

Uh yeah! I'll sign that petition as soon as I almost stop, I does me them California stops, cautious but eager to stop slowing down.

I have a similar issue, it makes me very nervous when some streets don't need to stop, and the cross streets that do need to stop have their view blocked near the corners. Simple fix and quite obvious for obviating vehicular disasters, don't allow freakin' cars to park within 25 feet of the corner, a clear view as well for the ones speeding along on the thrufare.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

It has to do with the Soprano sax. I know woodwind players that don't even like it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My random thought deals with technology- had digital pianos existed in terms of sampling from day one- would we still have things like the Fender Rhodes and DX7 pianos?

If there had been digitally modelled / sampled instruments, we probably wouldn't have gotten the Rhodes or Wurlitzer, nor probably the Hammond (or even the telharmonium), Vox, or Farfisa.

Ultimately, it would depend on the weight and expense of your sampler -- For most human budgets a Wurlitzer beats a Fairlight, but a Casio CS beats a Wurlitzer.

i.e. was the DX7 piano created because it was the closest to an acoustic piano that could be created at the time.

(1) The well-known DX Piano was a replacement for the Rhodes, not for APs. I think it caught on because (a) the action didn't suck like a Rhodes suitcase, and (b) you could actually articulate a more varied tone.

(2) OTOH, in your scenario we already had samplers, so there would be no Rhodes to imitate either.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Under the category of "Things not what they used to be":

Cows are not as fresh as they used to be. The milk I purchased at Costco 3 days ago is 2 days fresher than what I bought today at Costco. I always look for the freshest expiration date because it may not get used fast enough. Today's freshest expiration date is Dec 8. Last Thursday's freshest expiration date was Dec 10.

Last Thursday's milk may last beyond today's milk's expiration date. Return or exchange, if I have to go back I am going back last Thursday and buying two instead of one.

• 1 month later...

SampleRobot is giving away samples from Bladerunner, from their newly sampled Yamaha CS80. Get 'em while they're hot.

https://samplerobot.com/blogs/news/yamaha-cs80-sampling

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2022 at 8:37 PM, Synthaholic said:

Not just for keyboards. 🙂

Resize_20220224_203658_8962.thumb.jpg.ceed5c56789fc4693a3c5b7117cfb5cc.jpg

So, I found this old, very basic On Stage X-stand in the garage - I don't have any recollection of ever acquiring it - and started using it for my 4 space rack that is on my left when I play, instead of the On Stage KS7150 platform stand I've been carrying around for years, which is great but 17lbs and overkill, where the X-stand is about 2lbs, if that. But I was worried about it collapsing, as these things do. So I'm just going to get a U bolt to slide in each time, like this 🔐 is temporarily doing.

Compress_20220329_120845_5752.thumb.jpg.57490f9613d3b2b9b66fb3f9d7e2f5e8.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love it when TV makes no attempt to hide keyboard brands.

Two and a Half Men, S1/E4 or E5

20220512_191358.thumb.jpg.e5a312903611a7b0c471507786c7bd15.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Now I wish I still had one of my Six-Traks.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/model610-synth-controller/id979456894

• 3 weeks later...

Just encountered this American Girl Doll electric piano.  Wurlitzer styling.  13" long.  4 different sounds.  Keys are super small, of course, but totally playable and polyphonic!  Apparently American Girl also makes (made) a pretty good miniature upright piano, too.  Anyone familiar with American Girl knows the price points are out of this world, but it is pretty cool and authentic, for what it is.

image.thumb.png.a232db19e6744da32e104cc31ffdd560.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 7/23/2018 at 1:25 PM, zeronyne said:

"Antibacterial soap" is NOT redundant. "Soap" only refers to a substances ability to break surface tension.

Sorry, no. Soap is by definition a cleansing agent, and it's kind of hard to be that without being antibacterial. 

I saw recently that comedian (Leo) Gallagher passed. Loved his stuff. Still has my favorite one-liner ever (funnier probably when MTV was the rage in the 80s but still):

"Does Joe Jackson HAVE to be in his videos?"  

OK given that I'd agree. I thought it just meant "gets rid of bacteria," whether it's removing it or killing it or both.  Anyway -

Does it grate on anyone else when "words" only come into existence because a huge swath of people hear an acronym and somehow don't get that it's an acronym and so spell it out phonetically? Like "emcee"  :facepalm:  No, it's "MC," which means "Master of Ceremonies."  Or "deejay." Good grief. It's like baby talk. I have even seen journalists, of all people, writing about iconic Star Wars' characters "Artoo Deetoo" and "Ceethreepio." 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The only songs I know of that use "bustle" are 'Silver Bells' and 'Stairway to Heaven'.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, bill5 said:

Does it grate on anyone else when "words" only come into existence because a huge swath of people hear an acronym and somehow don't get that it's an acronym and so spell it out phonetically? Like "emcee"  :facepalm:  No, it's "MC," which means "Master of Ceremonies."  Or "deejay." Good grief. It's like baby talk. I have even seen journalists, of all people, writing about iconic Star Wars' characters "Artoo Deetoo" and "Ceethreepio."

Don't get me started on Proper English dying by inches. Politics aside, I appreciated William Buckley as a fierce champion of getting the language right. Its fun to twist popular English like Silly Putty, but not knowing the basics so you can do that well is a truck wreck. Half of the local news crawls contain misspelled words on the hoof. Bloody bleeping bleep, etc.

I once worked as a copy editor and one evening, the assistant managing editor said "You're doing a pretty good job, but you need to tone it down a little. You're writing like an English major and most of our readers are at about an 8th grade level." I said "You're kidding." He just shook his head. Brrrr. :shudder:

I come to KC for the synths, but I'm also pleased by the literacy. 🤓 Gooooo READERS!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

35 minutes ago, bill5 said:

The only thing I've ever heard of anyone contemplating is suicide or their navel. I doubt there's a connection though

That may depend on what they find in their navel. Its deep enough to contain some meaningful rottenness. Alone, it might be tolerable, but it could become a trigger warning if its at the end of a truly galling algorithm. Been there, miscalculated that. 🤨

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

Don't get me started on Proper English dying by inches. Politics aside, I appreciated William Buckley as a fierce champion of getting the language right. Its fun to twist popular English like Silly Putty, but not knowing the basics so you can do that well is a truck wreck. Half of the local news crawls contain misspelled words on the hoof. Bloody bleeping bleep, etc.

I once worked as a copy editor and one evening, the assistant managing editor said "You're doing a pretty good job, but you need to tone it down a little. You're writing like an English major and most of our readers are at about an 8th grade level." I said "You're kidding." He just shook his head. Brrrr. :shudder:

I come to KC for the synths, but I'm also pleased by the literacy. 🤓 Gooooo READERS!!

Great fun listening to adults refer to an online message as a "tweet".   One wonders if Twitter had changed the i to an a how English would survive.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3