Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

Okay, new recommendation - I used this for the first time and it's fantastic.

$17.39 - VEVOR Drop Over Cable Cover Ramp, 2,000 lbs/axle Load Capacity, Heavy Duty Cable Hose Protector Ramp, Floor Cord Cover for High Walking Traffic Areas

It's rubber, and feels like it was built from a Michelin tire. You could drive over it, but I'm just using it for those situations where you don't want someone walking or tripping on your cable. Modular, so you can connect multiple together.

I can't believe this was under $18. Highly recommended.

61LST6NVvGL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d132d3d6179c21b6ff5c50b7cc729790.jpg

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

19 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

$17.39 - VEVOR Drop Over Cable Cover Ramp, 2,000 lbs/axle Load Capacity, Heavy Duty Cable Hose Protector Ramp, Floor Cord Cover for High Walking Traffic Areas

It's rubber, and feels like it was built from a Michelin tire. You could drive over it, but I'm just using it for those situations where you don't want someone walking or tripping on your cable. Modular, so you can connect multiple together.

How long is a segment? 6ft?

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

How long is a segment? 6ft?

Cheers, Mike.

39.37"L x 5.12"W. A little longer than a yardstick. The Amazon page also describes it as 'Self-Adhesive', but there is no adhesive. Which is good. It's heavy, and lays flat on the sides.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

23 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Thanks for the heads up!

FYI, you can get 2- or 3-paks of those from ebay for less (per each), shipping included.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

23 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Hey!!! I forgot I've needed this for 15 years.

• Like 1

Hey!!! I forgot I've needed this for 15 years.

Me too! I used to keep an old rug in my vehicle for this but it was a pain, and didn't really protect cables, just kept people from tripping over them. I've even resorted to duct tape, but that's a sticky disaster getting off the cables. I tend to like my Spacestation very far away from me, so I made two 35ft. balanced cables from a 1,000 ft roll of high-quality cable I bought at a garage sale 25 years ago for $10. spacer.png It inevitably needs to cross over a pathway at some point. Never thought to look for one of these until recently. I'm a happy camper!

• 1 month later...

Last night's setup.

PXL_20240320_215117267.thumb.jpg.a24048d117690d173ecb64a2e8ce2db1.jpg

3 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Last night's setup.

PXL_20240320_215117267.thumb.jpg.a24048d117690d173ecb64a2e8ce2db1.jpg

You have enormous brass ones to be playing an Alesis Fusion live! Its a beautiful synth that was never fully baked and perhaps a bit too ahead of the curve. For instance, it included some physical modeling, but it was such a recent technology, it didn't seem to stand out as you'd expect. If it came out now, with the ragged edges addressed, it'd be a monster. I'm oddly pleased to see that you can trust it, despite its age. 👍   

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

20 hours ago, David Emm said:

You have enormous brass ones to be playing an Alesis Fusion live! Its a beautiful synth that was never fully baked and perhaps a bit too ahead of the curve. For instance, it included some physical modeling, but it was such a recent technology, it didn't seem to stand out as you'd expect. If it came out now, with the ragged edges addressed, it'd be a monster. I'm oddly pleased to see that you can trust it, despite its age. 👍   

I've never had a bit of trouble with it. It's built like a tank. I'm not a fan of the pianos or EPs, or organs, but the electric guitars are good, and the synths and pads are gorgeous. Especially the Hollow Sun and Klaus Shultz banks, which show off the keyboard's capabilities much better than the rushed Preset sounds. I really wish I had occasion to use it more at live gigs, but I usually just play my Kurzweil PC4-7, which covers everything I need very well.

• Like 1

Hey that cable cover thing is pretty cool. I've seen the big pro heavy duty ones at some gigs.   I can't stand it when the rest of the band just blithely walks over my cables; I do protect them somewhat by snaking them up with flex wrap (which is probably the best bang-for-buck piece of gear I've ever bought) but they still get walked on or worse get rolling carts over them.  We do a fair number of oddball small-timey gigs where there really isn't a stage per se, and once in a while cables (power at least) have to run out where patrons could trip on them.  We mostly use gaffer's table due to it not leaving as much mess.

Maybe it's like my flexwrap, fan and cart, to steal what someone posted above--things I forgot I needed for years!  

• Like 1

Three years ago I decided to buy myself a wah wah pedal. Did a bit of research, settled on the Dunlap 535Q Crybaby. Got on Amazon to order it and saw the note at the top of the product page. "You purchased this item once before." Searched my order history and there it is, ordered in July 2009, along with a Roland Space Echo twin pedal and some of those little pedal connection cables. I searched the house and could not find it. I know I did not sell it, loan it, or leave it out in the rain. The pedal has to be here somewhere, and someday I will find it. Two weeks ago I was moving things around, both in my bedroom and closet, my man cave, and the garage. And what did I find? The Crybaby pedal. This morning I started to use it, cannot remember where I found it. ... ... ... I hate getting old. ☺️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

4 hours ago, Stokely said:

Hey that cable cover thing is pretty cool. I've seen the big pro heavy duty ones at some gigs.   I can't stand it when the rest of the band just blithely walks over my cables; I do protect them somewhat by snaking them up with flex wrap (which is probably the best bang-for-buck piece of gear I've ever bought) but they still get walked on or worse get rolling carts over them.  We do a fair number of oddball small-timey gigs where there really isn't a stage per se, and once in a while cables (power at least) have to run out where patrons could trip on them.  We mostly use gaffer's table due to it not leaving as much mess.

Maybe it's like my flexwrap, fan and cart, to steal what someone posted above--things I forgot I needed for years!  

Did you buy it? It's definitely worth the $17 and change.

Just visited the House On The Rock in Spring Green Wisconsin. What a...um...unique experience. Loved the antique player pianos and music boxes; the mechanized orchestras were both impressive and disappointing due to how much has fallen into disrepair and been replaced with MIDI and speakers, and the Organ Room. Such a weird mix of genuinely grand instruments and then movie-set mad scientist creations.

I'm glad I went, and was equally glad to leave - I was feeling weird anxiety due to overstimulation and covered the last 20% of the exhibits very quickly to get some air.

IMG_2115.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RABid said:

Since a computer cannot actually produce a truly random number, will an AI ever be able to have a random thought?

It's true that computers can't produce truly random numbers by following an algorithm. Where a high level of randomness is required, environmental sensors are used (such as temperature). 

However, today's AI is hamstrung not so much by the shortage of "truly" random numbers, but by the "machine learning" approach that trains it on previously (human)-generated content. GPT models are basically trying to predict "what would a human say next, based on everything I've learned about what humans say?"

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

"what would a human say next, based on everything I've learned about what humans say?"

Which is a sociopath’s ultimate tool for self preservation…

predictive mimicry

And I cant help but harp on the image of ouroboros, the self devouring serpent.  Its completely a circular firing squad! We train “ai” based on all of human creation, then we start creating stuff with ai, which then uses the newly created “stuff” to feed its future dataset which becomes more and more ai and less human of a dataset…

its the “learning model” which scares me the most!

awesome

re: algorithmic randomness spat this article, from scientific america , at me this morning

Random???

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

19 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Did you buy it? It's definitely worth the $17 and change.

I actually started looking at some related ones and now I'm pondering.  I sent links to our bandleaders and they were pretty interested.  We sometimes use a fair bit of gaffer's tape!

Reason I'm pondering is that the channel on that one is relatively small and my own cable custom snake has 4 cables in it.  We also don't really need weight protection, the main thing is to make things so nobody trips on them and there are some other similar products that seem a bit better suited--cheaper, more room inside and without the high weight protection.   

Or maybe we end up with some of each :)  

---

Wah - I started wondering about getting one.  I can hook up an FC7 expression pedal to my Nord Stage and use that, but I am curious about any sound difference.  I've seen vids and read some things here that suggest the actual wah might sound more impressive.  But more stuff to hook up, and of course buy as I don't have a wah now!

--

Poly AT - I have the same "fear" if it can be called that.  That I'll spend for something that I might not really need specifically due to Poly AT and then end up not using it :)  I honestly don't use channel AT all that much and it's not because it's channel vs Poly--live, I do use it on a few patches, vibrato in particular as that frees up the mod wheel for other things like filter sweeps.  At home, I tend to just draw in automation on synth params after I play (I use softsynths and don't record audio from hardware synths.)

On 3/22/2024 at 8:06 PM, Thethirdapple said:

Define random…

A random sequence is a sequence that in order to be generated by an algorithm need an algorithm whose size (in number of instructions or lines of code) is proportional to the length of the sequence.

🥸

Maurizio

PS: just a one of the definition used in IT. It may require more details, but the idea is there

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Dep (i.e sub) gig at a social club yesterday. "You'll enjoy it Mike, they've got a really good PA".

That PA turned out to be an enormous 24-channel Mackie analog(ue) desk, with two JBL subs each side, and iirc four pairs of speakers from all sorts of manufacturers (all 15in+tweeter I think) - one pair angled inwards towards the dance floor, one facing 90degrees straight out from the stage, one pair angled "out" (away from the middle of the stage), and a fourth pair on top - plus various smallers speakers dotted around the venue as "nearfills". 

Biggest surprise: guess what was provided for a keyboard monitor (and remember this is the UK)...

CLONK

I ended up using it (although I also had my IEMs). Singer wanted me to turn up as she couldn't hear me on the dance floor. So I cranked the things, and relied on the seals on my earbuds to preserve my hearing. Go figure...

Cheers, Mike.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, TJ Cornish said:

Just visited the House On The Rock in Spring Green Wisconsin. What a...um...unique experience. Loved the antique player pianos and music boxes; the mechanized orchestras were both impressive and disappointing due to how much has fallen into disrepair and been replaced with MIDI and speakers, and the Organ Room. Such a weird mix of genuinely grand instruments and then movie-set mad scientist creations.

I'm glad I went, and was equally glad to leave - I was feeling weird anxiety due to overstimulation and covered the last 20% of the exhibits very quickly to get some air.

IMG_2115.jpeg

Isn't that the Geoff Downes rig from the ASIA years? 🤔

~ "King of the Hill"

On 3/23/2024 at 7:56 AM, Ed A. said:

I recently bought a Native Instruments Kontrol S61 Mk3 for the polyAT and find that I almost never use polyAT. 😄

HAH! There's the other shoe dropping! Poly AT still has the aroma of "parlor trick" wafting around it. MPE has arisen just as brick-&-mortar outlets are in sharp decline. If you ever needed to lay hands to a thing to truly get it, this would be the one. Its hard to imagine anyone but Sweetwater having such things in a demo rack. Its not something you can fully explain verbally, yet its self-evident when played in real-time.

The next big challenge with MPE is not what it can do, but getting the perceptual experience outside the confines of just YouTube. 🤨 

• Like 1

~ "King of the Hill"

• 2 weeks later...

I can see why many bands split up soon after releasing their own material.

My covers band released our debut original album last year and it was ok. We're all experienced musicians but we learned a lot doing it - particularly about what not to do in our context. We're a live band mostly, and the album had some decent songs on it, but the writing and recording process was up in the air for every different song, and it didn't end up sounding that much like us, or actually how we wanted the songs to sound. We've redone them live and they now sound like how they should, but they sound nothing like the album version when we play them live.

We're releasing a new EP this Friday, and it actually sounds like us. The songs are a million times better than the album, too. Unfortunately since we all like it, we care a lot more about it than we did the album. We're picky about parts, and the singer (who does the lions share of the management and behind the scenes work) has vetoed an instrumental ending to one song that the entire rhythm section love. It's been cut from the EP, but we'll keep the ending in live. I was pretty pissed, and vocalised my disappointment, but it wasn't worth making a big fuss over.

At this stage we'll be glad to get it released and start playing it live, but when 8 people each have an opinion about what to do/not to do, it's a fun test of the band's resolve. Thankfully everyone in the band is older and mature, so problems are talked about on the spot, rather than bitched about behind closed doors, which makes for a generally very healthy atmosphere, especially when it comes to disagreements!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Yeah I've done a bit of original stuff, not with an actual band lately, but with a friend's material.

On one hand, a producer making decisions is IMO probably required.  I guess you can get lucky but 8 people all chiming in sounds like gridlock. 

On the other, he was making me nuts with (trying to) have me redo parts I was happy with....I played that game for a bit but it got old :)  

I can see why some bands split things up into "my song" vs "your song" as far as decisions but that usually also means you wrote and are singing it....
---

Not worthy of a thread, though we'll see in 3 days--Arturia has a 25th anniversary announcement scheduled for 3 days from now....one of those annoying "It's coming!" announcements letting you know that something is coming.  it worked because here I am posting about it.    I'm hoping it's news on the Polybrute 12 with poly AT, or possibly Keylap 3 with poly AT...but who knows.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:30 PM, Synthaholic said:

If you need something similar to use on carpet, this works really well and is a lot more portable:   https://angelguardproducts.com/safcord/

I saw this thread

Keys easier on arthritic fingers

and decided to post this here. I've been using it for a few years. Can't swear that it has made a difference, but I believe it has.

Paraffin Wax Machine for Hand and Feet

71gpPWHLtsL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.74f0ae8c6e4c6631102e2a72553517cf.jpg

Whenever I bought a used textbook with handwritten notes in the margin, I found them to be of marginal value.  

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I'm considering changing my handle to either Catfish, Trout, Snapper, Salmon, Bluefin, Mackerel, Kingfish, or Wendy.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3