Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

On 6/18/2018 at 10:47 AM, stillearning said:

It doesn't matter which way I insert a USB plug, it will be wrong on the first try.

I know I'm giving a serious answer to a whimsical comment, but I can't help myself...

I've found that for "Type A" connectors ( used in USB 1,2,&3) that have the "trident symbol", the trident symbol should be facing UP when plugging in.  Always works for me, so far.

The type A connector in the image below is the one on the right.   It's a little hard to tell from this image, but I think it has a trident symbol, visible as a raised etching.   (The one on the left also has a trident symbol etching, but I don't think it's a "type A".)

image.png.c2b93c9546912221e770dc075bf3397e.png

In fact, in general, I go by the principle that if there's a trident symbol, if it's facing UP, that's the right way to insert.   As far as I can remember, that's always worked so far, no matter what kind of connector, as long as it's USB.

Why did MS get rid of Windows "themes" - and yeah I know there are some you can download now, but they mostly just give you a set of wallapers. Those old enough to remember old versions of Windows know what I'm talking about. There used to be like a sports theme, a nature them, an antiquity theme, etc and they didn't just change wallpapers, but screen savers, numerous colors of the various title bars and pop-ups, even unique sounds for things like logging on/logging off, getting an error, etc. You could even create your own themes to a degree (ie simple personalization options, not something you had to "build"). 

That all soured for me when my screen saver got stuck on the Colonoscopy theme and sounds I won't describe. 

This was during the Win95 reign of errors. I threw my PC clone in the dumpster and got a Mac. 🤓

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 2/24/2023 at 12:24 AM, bill5 said:

Cotton Mather, infamous for his endorsement of the Salem witch trials in which ultimately 19 people were executed, "later recanted his views on the witch trials, eventually considering them to have been excessive and unjustified."

Nice timing dude. 

Oy!  That's my cousin you're talking about.  (His dad, Increase Mather, was one of my ancestors.)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

This looks promising, if you don't need it to fold up.

Liquid Stands Piano Bench Adjustable Stool – Music Keyboard Bench with Backrest Seat for Piano Keyboard Stand with Black Padded Cushion for Musicians Piano Stool Chair

image.thumb.png.cecd5334b2d6ef522c338d311b73786e.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRYJQTG5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Random trivia that maybe only I'm interested in, but:

The actress who portrayed Amy in Big Bang Theory, Mayim Bialik, actually really IS a neuroscientist. She has a PhD in neuroscience. What's next, Kelsey Grammar really was a practicing psychiatrist? 

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:

Liquid Stands Piano Bench Adjustable Stool – Music Keyboard Bench with Backrest Seat for Piano Keyboard Stand with Black Padded Cushion for Musicians Piano Stool Chair

Wow, I love  that sentence!  Talk about the opposite of succinct....  😆

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Wow, I love  that sentence!  Talk about the opposite of succinct....  😆

Well, it's not a sentence, it's an Amazon product description. 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I was cleaning out my Outlook inbox attachments to make space and ran across this, from 2014. Randy was the lead singer in the first band I was ever in, 'Conflict', in Melbourne, Florida, circa 1977-ish. Now he's a big-time race car driver in his particular field. Helluva nice guy and I'm so happy for his success and longevity in a really dangerous sport. He even has a Wikipedia page: Randy Pobst - Wikipedia

Here's Six Minutes Of Randy Pobst Driving A BMW Like A Madman

This weekend, Randy Pobst ran along with us in the American Endurance Racing series's first race. He won the first race handily. Here's how the pro did it.

This video picks up after he passed me for the lead and was just running like crazy out front, clicking off laps two to four seconds faster in this E36 than our trusty E30 could manage. We didn't stand a chance!

Good thing we managed to win on day two.

And at the end, he just has some fun. Randy is a damn good driver and a good guy. Can't wait to see him drive the BMW M1 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca next week!

image.thumb.png.242984e0eaf83d3716caefa1923a0704.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not watching 19 minutes of this but a few are fun.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, bill5 said:

Random trivia that maybe only I'm interested in, but:

The actress who portrayed Amy in Big Bang Theory, Mayim Bialik, actually really IS a neuroscientist. She has a PhD in neuroscience. What's next, Kelsey Grammar really was a practicing psychiatrist? 

Amy's parents: "Amy, You are pissing away your education. What are you going to do after hosting that game show?

Amy: "Become President of the United States?"

On 12/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

Stay clear of guitar forums.

Yes, they will spell "chili" correctly on there for one thing. 

On 12/26/2022 at 5:12 PM, bill5 said:

I have my preferences of types and styles, but (within reasonable quality standards) there is no such thing as bad BBQ.

And chile without beans aint chile. It can still be good, but it aint chile. And white chile isn't really chile either. Yes I'm a chile racist. 

Similarly, pizza without pizza sauce and/or cheese aint pizza. 

Chile is a country in South America.

Glad I play guitar!!!! 😇🤣😂

• Haha 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

He said "ain't chile" and you didn't bust him for omitting the cap?

18 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

He said "ain't chile" and you didn't bust him for omitting the cap?

Clearly, he is talking about food. Therefore no capital C is needed, but an "i" on the end instead of an "e" is correct.

Us guitarists, we is litarized and stuff... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was joking. Yeah I didn’t use an emoji but sometimes people taking you seriously is good for a laugh. It was innocuous fun. :thx:

In chile verde the prominent color comes from the chili peppers.

In chile verde, the prominent color comes from the chili peppers.

In chile verde, verde the prominent color, comes from the chili peppers.

18 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

....worse is when they do not even break out the checkbook until everything has been rung up.

Got that one beat, from many years ago. Lady drives up to the toll booth to pay a $0.45 cent toll. Puts the car in park. Takes out her purse. Opens the purse, from which she reprieves a smaller coin purse. Opens the coin purse, counts out the toll (takes forever). Rolls down the window, and hands it to the attendant. Rolls up the window. Puts coin purse back into larger purse. Closes larger purse. Puts car in drive, and goes on her oblivious, merry way. I'm solidly a Type-A personality. Thought my head was going to :pop:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

18 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I will gladly take my lumps for the brain fart on that one lol - I are a collig graduit though

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bill5 said:

I'm sorry but paper checks need to be outlawed in grocery stores. I wanted to ask this lady if she drove a horse and buggy to get there too.

And the AmmpY0; ..."worse is when they do not even break out the checkbook until everything has been rung up"

The problem with you guys is that the pace of technology has exceeded your sense of good manners towards your elders.   Or was the offender a youngster (in which I take it back)?

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking about mentioning the elder thing. I've always tried to have more patience with the elderly, esp regarding doing things "the old way," even when the new way was clearly far better and commonplace to boot. But the older I get, the less IMO that is an excuse I'm not exactly young...I didn't grow up with debit cards and credit cards were not used at places like grocery stores but when it came about and it was clearly quicker and easier, it makes no sense to do otherwise. I'm willing to bet these elderly drive an automatic car vs stick shift and use remote controls for their TV, so why not use a card at the store? Nah not buying it. 

37 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking about mentioning the elder thing. I've always tried to have more patience with the elderly, esp regarding doing things "the old way," even when the new way was clearly far better and commonplace to boot. But the older I get, the less IMO that is an excuse I'm not exactly young...I didn't grow up with debit cards and credit cards were not used at places like grocery stores but when it came about and it was clearly quicker and easier, it makes no sense to do otherwise. I'm willing to bet these elderly drive an automatic car vs stick shift and use remote controls for their TV, so why not use a card at the store? Nah not buying it. 

Well now that you mention it, it would make sense that they are, in fact, technically savvy and continue to write checks just rattle excessively high strung peoples'  cages like you to get their jollies.  Thanks for the good idea, heh :).

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The idea that a distaste for a senseless Luddite attitude consitutes being "high strung" is rather idiotic, as is thinking one has to be "technically savvy" to do something as simple and commonplace as use a credit or debit card for grocery store purchases. This isn't building a computer we're talking about.

And if you want to join in and do so for no other reason than to piss people off...that speaks for itself.