Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Radial KL-8 Keyboard Rack Mixer

FX collapsed on a PA suck terrribly.

I always settled for keeping FOH happy so I ran my own, but when we went to stereo it sounded so much better for vocals and keys.

Al youve been to that rodeo before, I feel the same.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, in this rig it is synth sounds only, so stereo image is only coming from the effects.

And my experience is that the FX are the ones collapsing to some phase cancellation nightmare when forced to be in mono.

I´m not aware of any of my gear has true-mono-compatible stereo FX build in.

A.C.

Ok Thanks Al. I will check better what happens when collapsed to mono.

Rudy

Estimated MAP is 899 USD, estimated shipping is late spring/early summer. (from Radials FB)

Thanks for the info regarding the KL-8. I had no success in finding a MAP or date it would be available. Does $899 seem high when compared to the Key Largo? I know it is at least one extra channel of stereo inputs, but the price was higher than I was thinking it would be.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Estimated MAP is 899 USD, estimated shipping is late spring/early summer. (from Radials FB)

Thanks for the info regarding the KL-8. I had no success in finding a MAP or date it would be available. Does $899 seem high when compared to the Key Largo? I know it is at least one extra channel of stereo inputs, but the price was higher than I was thinking it would be.

That cant be right! You could buy TWO Key Largo and have more flexibility.

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

If that's the price, no way. You can get an 8 channel stereo ashley for much less than that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I guess I don't play big enough gigs for stereo (as a part-timer!)...our band's PA and every gig I've ever done with a sound company have been mono. I simply have to make sure all patches sound good mono and that's that.

I currently do monitor with a pre-fader send and chose my mixer accordingly--is it clear that this has this ability, or is it like the desktop version where it's post-fader (intended as an fx send)? If so this is certainly on my radar.

• 5 months later...

Any news on this? MAP? Availability? Ability to connect send from FOH and route it only to monitor(s)?

I find no sites selling. I could not even find it on Radial site.

Why delayed?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Why delayed?

You obviously weren't paying attention to the Key Largo development/release cycle. ;)

It'll get released when Radial thinks it's ready. The KL went through numerous iterations of tweak/redesign based on market feedback, so no doubt this is in the same cycle.

If that's the price, no way. You can get an 8 channel stereo ashley for much less than that.

I missed this the first time around, so I'll suggest you can get a band to play for the night for $25 per player too. Or a Big Mac is less than filet mignon. Also, that Ashley doesn't have MIDI, nor does it support dual redundant laptops via USB connections.

So yeah... apples, oranges, and rutabagas, and whatnot. :snax:

Why delayed?

You obviously weren't paying attention to the Key Largo development/release cycle. ;)

It'll get released when Radial thinks it's ready. The KL went through numerous iterations of tweak/redesign based on market feedback, so no doubt this is in the same cycle.

I missed this the first time around, so I'll suggest you can get a band to play for the night for $25 per player too. Or a Big Mac is less than filet mignon. Also, that Ashley doesn't have MIDI, nor does it support dual redundant laptops via USB connections.

So yeah... apples, oranges, and rutabagas, and whatnot. :snax:

I was looking at my own personal needs, which don't include midi or usb. Just a straight up mixer with flexible routing options.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 3 months later...
KL-8 has reached coming soon status on Radials website. Quite a bit of discription and high res photos. Looks like Cue to headphones removes that signal from main and monitor outs, which makes sense for silent practicing. However, there may be no obvious way to route an AUX send from FOH (of the rest of the band) only to monitor outs, which several of us have wished for, so that we can use our own monitors for everything. I hope Im mistaken!

Barry

Barry,

Looking at the inputs and outputs on the back, as well as the knobs on the front, there are some workarounds to do what you want.

Depending on how many of the 4 channels/USB inputs you need for your rig:

Bring the monitor feed (aux) from FOH into one of the channels.. i.e, channel 1.

Connect your monitor(s) to the AUX out.

Leave the channel 1 Level down, and use the Aux send knob only.

If you do that with all your channels, you simply bypass using the separate monitor out.

In other words, the AUX Send level control on each channel becomes your monitor level for that channel.

Of course, this solution depends on how Radial set up the signal path...pre or post fader, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks, David. Your solution is the one people would use for KeyLargo as well. I was hoping for more flexibility in the KL-8.

There is a switch on the top of the unit. I think I see the word Aux. I wonder what that does?

If one were merely to plug earbuds into the phones out, Cue gets you an entire mix in your ears but takes away the signal from BOTH main and monitor outs, AFAIK. But maybe the phones continue to have signals not set to Cue. Devil in details.

Next step is read the manual when available. So far, I prefer the completeness of my A&H QU-sb, but that is 4 rack spaces.

Barry

A great mixer for any keyboard player.

The PSU is weird and exactly like the Space Heater.

No clue why that many appendages are necessary, I figured on the Space Heater it was related to the three different voltages to hit the tubes with.

But a mixer like that is interesting.

I wont be needing this but can attest to Radial Eng quality.

Softsynths that hit the OpAmps on the way out probably get a nice boost for presence.

Have fun whoever gets one.

Thanks, David. Your solution is the one people would use for KeyLargo as well. I was hoping for more flexibility in the KL-8.

You're welcome. Understood. I am not familiar with the KeyLargo, other than what I read online. I was just spitballing based on what I see.

I, too, would want the control the way you specify as well. I use a Focusrite 18i20 as my audio i/o and stand alone mixer for hardware board.

Like my old x-air, you can route anything anywhere. Since it sits in a rack, I use the Rolls PM-351 for my ears since it has separate Instrument, mic, and line (FOH) inputs. It sits right on my lower board for easy access.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I bought key largo some weeks ago.

Because the most of you you will use it as a live mixer, i use it as a recording device.

I made many tests and it records very good.

So if anyone of you will plan to buy one, you must know that it is a great recording device too!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Barry,

Looking at the inputs and outputs on the back, as well as the knobs on the front, there are some workarounds to do what you want.

Depending on how many of the 4 channels/USB inputs you need for your rig:

Bring the monitor feed (aux) from FOH into one of the channels.. i.e, channel 1.

Connect your monitor(s) to the AUX out.

Leave the channel 1 Level down, and use the Aux send knob only.

If you do that with all your channels, you simply bypass using the separate monitor out.

In other words, the AUX Send level control on each channel becomes your monitor level for that channel.

Of course, this solution depends on how Radial set up the signal path...pre or post fader, etc...

Thats a great idea but KeyLargo effect send is post-fader so cant use it to mix the FOH signal.

• 1 month later...

I didn't see this on their page before, but there is an explanation of the switch on the top. It apparently assigns the Aux returns to either all outputs, or just the Monitor and headphone outs. That would allow one to use the Aux return for FOH monitoring through headphone and monitor (which is EXACTLY what I want!). This assumes one doesn't need the aux's for FX.

Now if it will just materialize!! :)

and a nice (not!) bespoke power connector! Why can't these companies stick to a standard IEC?

Because the KL-8 uses an external power supply. That's a 4 pin xlr power connector. Not exactly bespoke (Moog uses it on The One and the Model D reissue, and Radial on some other products, for example) but certainly less common than IEC. It probably has a lump-in-the-line power supply, so the other end will probably have an IEC connector :)

This may not be news to everyone but is to me - some of the online retailers are listing pricing for the KL-8 e.g. https://8thstreet.com/Product/Get/78656/radial-kl-8-rackmount-keyboard-mixer - Street price of $699, retail of $750. With exchange rate that probably prices me out :(

I've gone Samson SM10 and Radial Pro DI8 which fixes all the hardware keyboard FOH and monitoring problems but not your USB connected ones.....
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

and a nice (not!) bespoke power connector! Why can't these companies stick to a standard IEC?

Ive got the trippy PSU on my Space Heater and was told it was due to all of the Tubes and triple voltage options.

Too bad they didnt put a Tube Stage on this mixers outs.

The Key Largo actually adds beef to softsynths and samples.

No dal breaker for an audience but I noticed a well focused image so decided to go from my audio/MIDI Interface into Largo and cut or boost from there.

You cant go wrong with Radial, but Im disappointed a Tube Stage wasnt added.

Still a great keyboard mixer with great I/O options.